Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

ATV License to Operate - It's Coming

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV License to Operate - It's Coming

Not unlike a motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license the ground work is being laid for a ATV Operations endorsement.
To be able to ride your ATV on public property in the future you might be required to complete a computer based training course and attend classroom training and pass a written exam.

Law makers are considering this as law enforcement is overwhelmed at the number of violators who genuinely appear ignorant of the ATV laws, void of safety consideration and can not articulate the enviromental impact their behavior is having. In other words - they just don't know the rules and/or don't care.

Two proposed education methodologies are being considered - 1) require ATV training and certification by the owner of the ATV to keep it registered or 2) incorporate a ATV Operators endorsement on a drivers license or Youth ATV license after completing the training and certification.

I'm kind of curious how the ATV community feels about these considerations. Do they make sense? Will they have a impact on the issues of safety and enviromental impact? Will the required education change riders’ behavior to slow the trail closure rate or improve the opportunity for more trail systems?

Old 05-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

WhoDat,

as a fellow instructor, I dont' see the basis for going this route. I would be more inclined to support the Ambassador Program where people such as you and I would patrol public riding areas. And I would volunteer my time.

I can see this being supported by the DNR since they are facing another round of budget cuts. But to have an endorsement to ride an ATV I think is senseless. It won't stop the laws from being broken by those who have an utter disregard to the laws in the first place.

Another thing that bothers me is this could ultimately open the door for the ANTI's to pass legislation limiting ATV operation by those age 16 or older. This will have a direct effect on revenue already brought in by the industry. We already have a training program in place through the DNR, and knowing you, I feel that the two of us do a quality course. Snowmobilers are required to take a safety course if born after Dec 31 1976. I say let's do the same for ATV's. We need to target the core user group.

I'll try to post more later.

Old 05-01-2005, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

I think having everyone under a certain age taking an ATV safety course is probably the best thing to do at this point in time.

I know, I know, when I got my snowmobile endorsement, it was the most boring 4 hours of my life. The usual intimidation thing: "This could be you." with the bloody corpse held up for everyone to see, and some people think twice about safety. I think that's about what the training is about in the first place though. It's how my classroom drivers training was, it's how the snowmobile endorsement was, and I can't imagine the ATV endorsement would be done any differently.

As far as riding itself, I'd certainly love to see a riding course like the current MN Kids training setup for anyone born after Dec 31. 1976. Do you think something like that would be too impractical?

On a related note, it looks like the Faribault paper is starting to print ATV violations now. Some mid-30s guy in the paper busted for "Careless use of an ATV, Operating an ATV on a public highway, and Operating an ATV with a passenger". Gotta love it. Probably another dope with a kid on the back zipping down the road, without helmets.

Old 05-01-2005, 07:30 PM

By instituting these additional restrictions/regulations........do you think our 'friends' in the government will give back anything positive/benificial to us in return???........I think not. Government legislators legislate because..........it's what they do. ATV's are an easy target ( they are evil you know!!!!) because we are a minorty without a strong lobby. There are now, and will always be, too many nuckleheads out there giving us a bad name by abusing property rights and breaking their necks riding like idiots.

I'm afraid our 'friends' in government will simply continue to make more and more one sided restrictions/regulations against ATVing because.........it's what they do.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Bob

Old 05-01-2005, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

Our state organization, ATV Association of Minnesota (ATVAM) pays a full time lobbiest to fight on our behalf at the state capitol. So we do have some of our own fighting for us and against stupid legislation.

As far as law breakers receiving citations for their wrong-doing. I would like to see the possiblity of having part time peace officers patrolling public lands. I would be willing to take the courses necessary to do this and cover the public lands where we don't otherwise have the manpower to do so. And as I mentioned in my previous post, I would volunteer my time.

During my last ride at the Tri-County Pit, klier and I witnessed several riders without helmets, which are a requirement in order to ride there, regardless of age.

No matter what motorized activity we look at, someone will always be breaking the law. License endorsements are not the answer. More legislation is not the answer, with the exception of requiring more people to take either the ASI or DNR safety training.

If you look in the DNR website for MN, and check out the CO from Waseca, he issues ATV citations on a weekly basis. Many people simply don't care what the laws are. They feel they pay the registration for the machine so they're entitled to ride where ever they want. This is some of the attitudes that I see, including my neighbor. They also feel if they pay these fees, the DNR should provide more riding oppurtunities for us in the Southern half of MN.

With that being said, I think there does need to be some changes made as to how the DNR will allocate funds for trail establishment/maintenence. Currently, the DNR will not work with private parties, which drove a nail in the coffin for Bauer's Pit. The DNR will only work through other Gov't agencies or non-profit groups (ATV clubs) who secure a lease for the property before they will put something into the GIA program.

Along with this, the funds must be present in order to improve the property to meet local and state ordinances. After the expenses have been made, there can now be an application for GIA or submission for reimbursement if the GIA already exists.

I'll try to come up with more later.

Old 05-01-2005, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LEP7MM
As far as law breakers receiving citations for their wrong-doing. I would like to see the possiblity of having part time peace officers patrolling public lands. I would be willing to take the courses necessary to do this and cover the public lands where we don't otherwise have the manpower to do so. And as I mentioned in my previous post, I would volunteer my time. ...
Lep - I didn't know you were a licensed peace officer. Thats kool .

For anyone interested - the requrements to do law enforcement work in Minnesota for the DNR requries the following:

Possess a valid Minnesota peace officer's license; be eligible to be licensed by the Minnesota Peace Officers Standards and Training Board (POST); or complete basic police training and be certified as a full-time peace officer in a state or federal law enforcement agency with which Minnesota has reciprocity and pass the POST Board reciprocity exam.

As far as the proposed DNR Ambasador program goes. I wish anyone good luck with that. When I have "talked" with the more severe violators out on the trail I have been rewarded for my efforts with finding my tires slashed upon returning to the truck - on two seperate occasions. Unless I can carry a gun and can arrest the a&&-ho!es so they dont get back to the trail head before I do - I don't think I care for any more of that. It's expensive at $100 a tire.

Yes the youth program is making a difference. We had 58 go through the program at the Forest Lake Gander Mountain yesterday.

Old 05-01-2005, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

WhoDat,

I'm not a licensed peace officer. Wish I was some days. My VP in my club is however, and he finds that many of his peers in the force don't know ATV laws so he is called on a regular basis.

I do get some good responses some days while traveling to or from my safety training I put on. I make sure to wear the shirt with the patches the DNR provides us as instructors. When someone flies by on the road and sees the INSTRUCTOR patch, they back off and fall in behind me. Funny thing is, they don't see the "instructor" patch, just what appears to be a State Trooper or Sheriff's patch. Keeps people honest that way.

Congrats on the 58 kids in your program. It would be fun to do a benchmarking of different instructors in the state to get some new ideas or to pass on some ideas. We could keep a consistency with the instruction throughout most of the state.

Old 05-13-2005, 07:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

QUOTE: By instituting these additional restrictions/regulations........do you think our 'friends' in the government will give back anything positive/benificial to us in return???........I think not. Government legislators legislate because..........it's what they do. ATV's are an easy target ( they are evil you know!!!!) because we are a minorty without a strong lobby. There are now, and will always be, too many nuckleheads out there giving us a bad name by abusing property rights and breaking their necks riding like idiots.
I'm afraid our 'friends' in government will simply continue to make more and more one sided restrictions/regulations against ATVing because.........it's what they do.

I have to agree with this. If we allow over regulation we'll be legislated out of existence, just like the pwc. I think we would be inviting trouble if we ask to be regulated. Like the old saying goes "I'm with the government and I'm here to help".

Old 05-13-2005, 07:14 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

The whole Liscense to operate an ATV is pretty ridiculous and the notion to force someone to take a safty class.. Hell you dont even have to take traffic safty to get a drivers liscense onece your 18 or older round here. under 18 you have to have a completed traffic safty course. But just becasue people take to courses does not mean they will be any wiser in their descision making. There are millions of people everyday who drink and drive, speed, drive automobiles recklessly, Most of them are liscensed to drive. it all means nuthing. when people are Mentally challenged to that point there is no amount of effort that can be thrown at them to make them normal. they will always be mentally challenged.

Old 05-14-2005, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

we should be able to regulate/police ourselves..................in a perfect world. We don't live in a perfect world. We have too many people that feel they can ride where they want, when they want and have no concern about what they are doing to the sport. In turn, legislators find this as an opportunity to make some $$$$ by forcing the core group of violators or participants in accidents into some from of training. There are a few out of this group that we can reach out to.

As long as we have people who continue to ride irresponsiby, destroy the environment, and show a total disregard/disrespect for property owners, we will have legislators b!tchslapping us with more new laws. Until the biggest offenders learn to have a little respect, we will keep fighting this battle.

Quick Reply: ATV License to Operate - It's Coming