Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

DEC in Hamburg, NY

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 09:50 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DEC in Hamburg, NY

Alright, any one get busted today? Rode down Pleasant Avenue by the Operator's School and by the 4 RR tracks around 2pm in my car and the DEC were on quads looking to bust people. 3 quads parked at the Wanakah Grille and a DEC officer was going in as I left. Write any one up? Man I was shocked to see these guys out there, they meant business.

I stopped to talk to one of them, just to voice my opinion. I played dumb and asked if they were citing people and if we could still ride in the quarry. He came back with "private property" and the accident 2 weeks ago (helicoptered injured rider to hospital) and you better stay out. So I came back with our new increased reg fee, and taxes and citation fines, why not do something positive with the $$$ and give us places to ride. He said he was DEC, and it wasn't up to him. I said I think it is as you guys work all outdoor activities, fishing hunting snowmobiling etc......

Then as I was leaving I said all you state guys care about is your $100,000 salaries and full pensions after 20 years.

What a JERK!!!!

Old 05-22-2005, 04:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, I feel your frustration, but the DEC guys are understaffed lawkeepers, not lawmakers. He has a boss he answers to and by citing riders is only doing his departments bidding. The state and local legislatures are the ones with the power to create and fund OR close public riding areas. It stands to reason that if riders are getting hurt on private property, the landowners are going to complain and ask for law enforcement. To many idiots out there willing to sue a landowner after getting injured, even if they don't have permission to ride.

On a side note, I tried Whispering Pines out recently, it is a nice place to ride. Next is Longmeadow and/or Cuba.

Old 05-22-2005, 09:12 PM
Trailblazer

what you saw was the DEC M.O.R.E. team motorized off road enforcment ... ther is only 2 teams in NY although individuals have access to quads from time to time .. . i agree with scooter they are understaffed , big time . but i agree with you too he should of given you a way to voice your opinion to some one who is in charge of the decision making process .. most of the DEC guys are great but there are a few dick wads .... call your local congress men .. let him know what you think ... these idiots keep raising the registrations and fees, but keep taking land away .. some thing has to give .. may be they should look at the hatfield McCoy trail system and see how much money it makes those communities and learn from it ... the speculator area of the adrondaks would be great for that ..

Old 05-25-2005, 10:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Scooter86, Where are you talking about riding in Cuba, NY? I used to live there. I'm just curious.

Old 05-25-2005, 11:20 AM
Range Rover

Go to trailpass.com, they have a riding area in Cuba.

Old 05-25-2005, 05:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, the Trailpass land, it is most likely all trails ridden/organized/maintained by the local club down there. Since I forked out $75 for trailpass, I wanna try out all the close stuff this year and see if it is worth it.

Old 05-25-2005, 05:47 PM
Range Rover

I think I will join Trailpass this year too. I wanted to check out Lyons. I usually just go to Majestic which is a great place. But at Majestic it is rare to be past 3rd gear. That's why I wanted to check out Lyons. Looks a little flat there so maybe you can get some speed up. The Hamburg site was great for speed!!

Old 05-25-2005, 11:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Frigen DEC busted my to buds in Hick town carlton newyork, in orleans county the poorest county in newyork!
WTF, ok there are thees old rail road trax called the ho-jack railroad line they run from niagra falls to oswego.
they blew up the trussle over the oak orchard river becuas of liability charges, but evry year the carlton fire dep holds a chicken barbacue @ there rec hall, wich coinsedently is right next to the trax, so my buddy who are 20 and 24 ride down to buy some chicken and bam sitten on the trax was the dec dident know it was them until they saw the stickers and then it was to late to do anything! but later that day my other bud jimmy was on his 520 pred and dude they tryed to catch but couldent keep up , on them trax you are able to ride as fast as posible for 8 miles strait with no stoping! he thinks he had to be doing @least 95 but anyway thats my story! and i am anoyed that they are so far out here for a bunch a hicks on quads!!!!!! OMG [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]