Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Big dawgs in NC

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big dawgs in NC

Are there any other good places to ride in eastern NC? As for now, the only places i know of are local spots on private property, and at Buckleberry, which is in the Brogden area, near Goldsboro.

Old 06-16-2005, 10:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Big dawgs in NC

Big time bummer when Big Dawg closed. The family went just about every weekend. I have heard good thing and bad about Busco Beach. I will probably check it out without the family before I make a decision about it. Have heard that it is not too bad to ride for trail very muddy! Which is good for 4X4. Some of my friends have gone with sport rides and got buried. Which is fun sometimes. The only bad thing that I have heard is that there is alot of drinking. Which I don't mind but drinking and riding with little ones riding around isn't exactly my cup of tea!. Thats why I'll check it out first to see if it is true or not. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I get up there. Still recovering from taking the 400EX to Uhwarrie National Forest(had and oops while there). Just abit of advice.... take a 4X4 there.

Old 06-23-2005, 07:08 PM
Trailblazer
Default Big dawgs in NC

let us know how busco beach is. i have a blaster so a lot of mud is no good.

Old 06-23-2005, 11:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Big dawgs in NC

It will be probably be the weekend of July 2nd and 3rd. My daughter has a swim meet this weekend. I will be taking my EX and my friend will be taking a Bear Tracker. Will let everyone know how it was.

Old 07-04-2005, 12:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Big dawgs in NC

I went there(Busco Beach) yesterday(Saturday) and was impressed. Very easy to get there. They have a new website...www.buscobeach.com I went with my son in law who was riding my old Warrior and I had the wifes Bayou 4x4. It cost $5 for each person and $5 for each unit per day. First impression of the place was very nice. There is a decent size lake with well groomed beach almost all the way around. Lots of people swimming. There is a concession stand that is better than most places I have been. The bathrooms are decent. There is camping there. Primitive and places with power. Now down to the riding. There is a strict 5 mph limit near the roads and parking spots. If they catch you two times speeding, then they eject you. The trails are decent and mostly flat. The park is next to the Neuse River. The river was down abit so the trails were not as muddy as I would expect. I can see that there is great potential for serious and I mean SERIOUS mud. As it was within 10 minutes of hitting the first trail I was stuck past the tops of the tires in the baby snot slick super glue mud that is found in marsh lands. All in all I got really stuck 3 times and high centered once on a log. The Warrior only got stuck once. But then again my wise son in law would only follow me and the only time he got stuck was when he took the lead. There are lots of places that you could go around the muddy spots and some places that looked like a lake trying to get across. There are no signs or direction markers so getting lost is very easy. As I did. But just keep driving aroung and you make lots of loops and finally get your bearing. There are lots of dead end areas. Reverse comes in handy. Some places were like threading the needle inbetween the trees. For the most part the trails were a little larger than the width of an atv. So when meeting another coming towards you, someone has to give way. Along those lines, there are no directions control an the trails. So it is very easy to meet others coming on the trail in the other direction. I didn't run into any speed demons coming around the bends. Everyone seemed to have common sense while riding. There are certain areas that you can really open it up without fear of splatting someone. There is also one area that is more or less a sandpit with some jumps and such.
There was abit of drinking that was going on there. It was abit unnerving watching bunches of little kids riding by on atv's and lots of grownups riding the other direction waving at you with beer in there hands. But the truth be known, I didn't see any outward signs of drunken stupidity while out there. All in all I will go back up there with the family.

Old 07-10-2005, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Big dawgs in NC

maybe i'll go and try it out.