Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield Mccoy

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 05:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatfield Mccoy

I've been going up there since 2002, before they changed rockhouse trail 94 was a bi*ch.
I ended up on the opposite side of the mountain from the trailhead and 94 ran wet rock and rutted switchbacks all the way up the side of the mountain and I was near empty on gas. I was riding a rubicon and had to brunt and push it all the way up, I started at 7pm and got to the trailhead at 11:48pm. Have any of you guys gone up for Dirt Days in late June every year? It takes place at Rolling Thunder Race Park on Three Mile Curve outside of Logan.

Old 07-12-2005, 05:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default Hatfield Mccoy

And its a darn 8 hour drive from where I am in Baltimore, Maryland.

Old 07-12-2005, 10:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hatfield Mccoy

Those switch backs atRockhuose are are very small.If you have a utility, you might have to back up and try again but if you have anything close to a sport bike you can spin the tires and slide around. Make sure you look ahead before you go up a long hil because if you meet someone, there is no room to get by.

Old 07-12-2005, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hatfield Mccoy

Originally posted by: RSeb

- I met Billie Ann (at Billie Ann's resturant in Gilbert). She told me that the mayor of Gilbert, who was a primary force behind allowing ATVs to ride in town, was defeated in the last election. She said there is now talk of revoking that access. Givin the amount of cash that I'm sure riders pour into that town, I think it would be a big mistake. Hopefully, the new city government is smart enough to see that.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The election in Gilbert is now in a recount. The 2 top runners....One is an ATV advocat, and owner of a local atv lodge..

The other is a banker, and we all know what they think about - themselves

Old 07-12-2005, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hatfield Mccoy

Originally posted by: Kushman
Originally posted by: RSeb

- I met Billie Ann (at Billie Ann's resturant in Gilbert). She told me that the mayor of Gilbert, who was a primary force behind allowing ATVs to ride in town, was defeated in the last election. She said there is now talk of revoking that access. Givin the amount of cash that I'm sure riders pour into that town, I think it would be a big mistake. Hopefully, the new city government is smart enough to see that.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The election in Gilbert is now in a recount. The 2 top runners....One is an ATV advocat, and owner of a local atv lodge..

The other is a banker, and we all know what they think about - themselves

Do you know if one of 2 top runners is the former mayor? I'm guessing not because when I ran into the former mayor out on the trails, he introduced himself as the "former" mayor of Gilbert. He saw us on the side of the trail checking the map and pulled over to see if we were lost. He seemed like a good guy. It was kind of cool because he had an extended rack on his Big Bear where his dog rode. The dog seemed to really enjoy himself.

Old 07-14-2005, 09:38 PM
Range Rover
Default Hatfield Mccoy

Nope, you met Johnny Adams (the former mayor- not one of the top guys in the election) - who was a big force in getting the trail down into Gilbert. He has taken a lot of heat from folks about the riders who goof off and don't follow the rules while in town. Now we may have to deal with the aftermath of the thankless riders. The one who is ahead in the election is reported to NOT be ATV friendly - we don't know him - we do however know the man who was the close 2nd. (and he hasn't thrown in the towel yet) He is a lodge owner and is a great person. We're all keeping our fingers crossed.

One thing that is VITAL is that we as riders need to take heed and OBEY THE RULES while riding in these towns. This is a priveledge, and can be taken from us at any time. PLEASE be responsible and don't ruin it for everyone.

We love it down there - there isn't much that can compare.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hatfield Mccoy

How about this idea.....(Every Barny Fife knows this trick).....ticket the riders breaking the rules and fine the he## out of them. The Mayor will quickly see it as a source of revenue, and will continue to allow ATVs to ride into town. Those not breaking the rules will have nothing to worry about.

Another thing: when you are in stores in the town, carry your helmet with you. They need to know that you are an ATV rider whenever you are spending money.

Old 07-19-2005, 08:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default Hatfield Mccoy

Hat/McCoy has to be one of the premier places to ride E. of the Miss. River. IMO.
Hello Kushman! (Mikey V/KVF650 A1 on those other forums)

Old 07-19-2005, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hatfield Mccoy

Mikey....you haven't been to Harlan county yet, have you

Old 07-19-2005, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hatfield Mccoy

Not sure, Kushman. It was at night, over near the Tug River, where KY, WVa, and Va. meet. Was that Harlan?????

Quick Reply: Hatfield Mccoy