Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

TEXAS SHUT DOWN!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2000, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just thought all of you Texas riders out there would be interested in knowing that the government has taken away another one of our riding places. Hwy 242 and the San Jacinto river has been effectively SHUT DOWN! They have signs posted now that say "NO UNAUTHORIZED VEHICLES". Anyone choosing to ignore these signs do so at their own risk. I was just out there yesterday around 5pm. I saw the signs and also saw a bunch of cops past the signs. I decided to ignore the sign, drive down to the cops to see what's up. They definitely made it an unpleasant experience. They had me stopped for about 20 minutes while they ran checks on my license, my atv, my truck, etc. I don't know how many cops where down there, but there was 8 of them that made their way to my truck. They didn't search me......THIS TIME!.....but I imagine they probably are searching some vehicles out there.

HERE'S THE SCOOP! After they got done running all their checks, the one that was in charge out there told me what was going on. They have had some complaints from land owners (mainly about people in vehicles, not atv's). If you can find a way down to the river, you can still ride it. His suggestion was to find a land owner that has property that runs all the way up to the river and gain permission from that land owner to access their land.

NEW PLACE TO PARK! So if anyone knows of a new place to park or finds a new place, please post it for the rest of us. And in the meantime, if you do find another route to the river, just keep in mind that yesterday I saw two cops on atv's out there. So even if you do find a legal way down to the river, one can probably expect to be harrassed a bit over the next few weeks.