Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Trip to Hatfield-McCoy Recreation Area

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2000, 12:20 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I went to the Hatfield-McCoy Recreation Area for a week of riding. I left Sat Oct. 7th. of Ashburn Va just out side of Wash DC for the 7.5 hour drive.

Sunday Oct 8th
I set out to just find the three trail heads since the trails were only to be open to WV rides Sat and Sun. I got to the Bear Wallow Trail Head in Logan and met John T. I explained that I had a permit already and was just checking the area out and getting maps. John said since the turn out that weekend had been less than expected it would be ok for me to ride. Well I was out the door and had my ATV off the truck in five minutes. I road about 26 miles that day just checking out the easy trails. Well this is the best trail system I have ever road on, even the easy trails are challenging in spots. This is a perfect area for a ATV trail system. With it's steep mountains and valleys there is a new experience around each corner. At one point on trail 94 it goes almost straight up the side of the mountain from 900 ft to 2,400 ft. At the top of trail 94 you are on a ridge road that gives you some great veiws of the area.

Monday Oct 9th
I went back to Bear Wallow and rode another 26 miles only going over a few of the same trails to get access to the ones I didn't have time for the day before due to my late start. Bear Wallow had about 80-90 miles of trails.

Tuesday Oct 10th
I was off to Rock House Trail Head just outside Man. I think this is the best loop in the system. I road with one of the Fieldtechs John Lopez. I met him at the gaurd shack and asked if he was going out. He was going out to check some trail markers so I followed him for about an hour or so to the top of the mountain on trail 12 and then headed off on my own for trail 93 a steep decent into the valley. I stopped for lunch at a enormous rock outcrop. I climbed to the top and had the best view yet. I could see 360 degrees. Talk about a view, I used up the rest of the film I had with me for that day. Then I started down the steep switch backs to the bottom. And went out trail 10 a little farther till I got to trail 22, again more great views. Trail 22 was still under construction so I only went a little ways to get to were I was told you could see out both directions. I sat there for a few till I thought it was time to head back as the sun was getting lower in the sky and I had a long ride back. Got back to the trail head and John Lopez was there waiting to make sure I made it out.
Wendsday Oct. 11
I had arranged to meet Kendell Simpson (a local I had met through this web site) between 9:00 and 9:30 well I rolled in at 9:15 and he was there talking with the Fieldtech. We were on the trail by 9:45 and we made some stops every now and then and he told me the stories of the different places we past. Along the way we meet two guys in a Polaris Ranger 6X6 from the outerbanks of NC. We talked with them for a while then we went our own ways. We were out to do the trail 10 and 12 loop so we had a long way to go. Along the way we saw the NC guys a few times and stopped to talk. We were going down one of the trails and a huge owl flew out of a tree high in front of us and landed in a tree a little farther down the trail and looked back at us and took off again into the woods. After that we had lunch at a platue area just off the trail that Kendell knew of. This was a huge field with views looking up the mountain and down into a valley. Fantastic area. Well by this time it was three o'clock and we were only half way around the loop so we picked the pace up a little to get back before dark. We got back to the trail head about 6:00 and loaded up. He was nice enough the invite me over for dinner the next night which I gladly excepted.

Thursday Oct 12
I went to Rev. Comptom/Buffalo Mountain Trail Head and met John P. I talked to him and he said I could ride to Matewan and ride into town to the Matewan Depot Restaurant. Well this sounded good so off I went. It was a challenging two and a half hour plus ride just about none stop. I ran into town parked in front of the Matewan Depot and had a great lunch. While there I met not less the four locals that asked how I likes the trails. Everyone I talked to was very nice and excited about the trail system bringing new people to the town. Well by the time I ate it was 1:30 and I had a dinner to go to between 5:30 and 6:00 so I had to beet feet and hit the trail. On the way back I figured I would save some miles and take trail 98 (a most difficult trail that saved me some miles) well that was a great trail for a thrill or two as it went right up the side of the mountain then stayed on the ridge and straight down the other side. All I can say is make sure you have GOOD brakes before you take this trail. I was on my brakes hard all the way down and was still praying a little. Got back to the trail head about 4:30 and headed to Kendells for at great dinner. (Thanks again Kendell for a great meal and it was nice meeting your family and looking at the pictures of the rides you had. It was the best night I had while on vacation. You all made me feel like family).

Friday Oct 13th
I was dead wore out and just went to the Buffalo Mountain Trail Head and hung out with Bill Reed (Lead Fieldtech) and John P. I Helped out some and did a ride later in the day with John to fix some trail signs.

Sat. Oct 14th
I went to the Bear Wallow Trail Head and hung out for and hour or so. The Trail Head parking lot had to have had 50-60 vehicals in it with well over 100 ATVs and motorcycles. I was told the Rock House Trail Head was packed and only had room for a few more vehicles. (These are HUGE parking areas, A few acres each)
I then headed to the Dediction Ceremony. This was a big tado with the Governor Underwood and Congressman Rayhal and lots of local politicians. And the best part of all the pig roast mmmmmmm-good.
I hope everyone plans a trip to the Hatfield McCoy Trail soon, You will not be disapointed.
I have ridden the whole East Coast and this is the Best Of The Best. You will not find anything better east of the Mississippi.

Hope to see you on the trails.
Wayne B
Ashburn,Va

Old 10-16-2000, 01:19 AM
Trailblazer

Wayne,
Thanks for your ride report on the Hatfield mccoy
trail system.My brother and I are planning a trip
there very soon and we appreciate your opinion
of the trails.We would like to know about the accomodations in the area and where the best place
to stay that is in close proximity to the trails.
Thank You,

Old 10-16-2000, 11:09 AM
Range Rover

I stayed at Chief Logan State Park. So I am not sure about motels. I know there are some in Logan and those would be the most convenent. There was also one on Rt. 10 right between Logan and Man but I do not recall the name. Give the Hatfield McCoy office a call and if they don't know I am sure they would be willing to find out for you. Just ask for the name of the motel that is on Rt. 10 between Logan and Man. Make your reservations early as you can, because rooms are limited in the area right now. I am hoping to make it down for Thanksgiving weekend and maybe some time between Christmas and New Years.
Just remember these are no novis trails! They are for experienced riders.
Wayne B

Old 10-16-2000, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

well is sounds great i hope the "Extreme team" will go there some time. Were there places to stop and get gas (high proformance quads suck gas fast well i should say 2 strokes)?

Old 10-17-2000, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

So, WayneB, how many miles did you accomplish during your stay there? And how many days were you there? Sounds like you're quite capable of traveling alone, is that what you did? One last question, WayneB, what kind of quad do you ride? Thanks for all your info. I really enjoyed reading it...
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

Old 10-18-2000, 05:03 PM
Range Rover

ecorman
I did go by myself. It seems most of my riding is alone. I do take a cell phone and GPS with me. My wife will go if there is snow. She Doesn't like the dust or mud.
I bought two Kawasaki Priarie 400 4X4's so my freinds could go with me and they always come up with a reason they can't go.
I was there for a week and rode five days. I did about 175 miles. I would have liked to do more riding every day, But I was taking it easy to save my sholder which had been bothering me earlier in the summer. It did hold up real well though. I think next time I will go for less time and plan on doing more mile each day. It is also such nice counrty that I enjoyed going way back on the trail and finding a good view and just sitting back and soking it all in.
I have been meeting people on the trails while riding and am getting names of people to ride with.
I have relatives in Mi and might try going to the UP next year, maybe we can get together and do some riding. Are you in the UP or lower area.
Wayne B

Old 10-18-2000, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

going this weekend.taking a first timer.which trailhead would be easiest//

Trending Topics

Old 10-18-2000, 11:29 PM
Range Rover

If this is there first time on an ATV this is not the place to go. But if you are going go to Rock House Trail Head take trail 10 around to trail 12.
this will be a big loop that will just bring you back to 10. This is about a 45-50 loop. It does get close to some very high drop off so take your time in those areas and make sure your freind gets trough OK.
Wayne B

Old 10-19-2000, 12:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Wayne B:

Thanks for the kind words!! When you and I talked earlier, I had made mention of the areas of the trail that were borderline more and most difficut. I am sure those are the areas you are refering to. I talked with the lead field tech and he assured me that the one switchback where you and I had the problem will be taken care of.
However, after taking everything into perspective, I do think we have a premier trail system that will only continue to improve. I see only good things happening to this system. With miles and miles of trail being shut down daily, we are in the process of opening hundreds of miles of trails.
Thanks again Wayne, I had a great ride while you were here and I look forward to seeing you many times in the future. If any one else is planning a trip to Hatfield/McCoy, and would like directions or suggestions on camping or lodging,
give me a call and I'll try to help as best I can. (304) 664-9650

K.A. Simpson
AKA Big Daddy Trail Boss

Old 10-19-2000, 08:59 AM
Range Rover

Wayne,

Great synopsis of your ride; it sounds like you really enjoyed yourself. Too bad you didn't have a partner. I find my rides rather boring when alone, but that is just me. Also, I find I spend much more time gazing while alone, rather than riding.

You really got the blood flowin' in me with this post. Hey, I could make great use of your Prairie 400 4X4...he he he.

Yeah! I would like to get out to the trail, but I have two problems, my wife and my newborn. I wouldn't exactly say they are problems, but they definitely are not supporters of me riding. I love and cherish my little girl and could never realistically say she was a problem.

Unfortunately, I don't see my self experiencing the trail anytime in the near future. However, if you all post posts such as Wayne’s, that will be good enough for my fix.

Again Wayne, great post. Glad you had a good time. Ride on!

Quick Reply: Trip to Hatfield-McCoy Recreation Area