Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

HELMETS, HELMETS, HELMETS

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2000, 11:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the EMS side:

Alert from 911; respond code III ATV accident involving 14 year old male lying in roadway bleeding profusely from open head wound.
Helicopter on standby, responding code III
On scene, pt. unresponsive not breathing, cpr in progress. Paramedics use all available equipment and skills, to no avail, pronounced dead on scene....cause of death, severe head injury from another ATV climbing over the rear of patients' ATV stiking him in head. "NO HELMET"

911 Alert; Respond code III, mountian rescue team needed with All Terrian 6x6 for extrication of ATV accident victim, severe head and facial injury, possible DOS, ATV roll over.
Helicopter on standby, responding code III.
find patient not breathing, cool to the touch, facial, and skull deformity noted...cause of death, severe head injury due ATV landing on left side of patients' head..."NO HELMET"

True stories....Who tells the family and what do you say???....They should have worn a helmet....
We go back to the station and wait for the next call.....
K.A. Simpson
AKA Big Daddy Trail Boss

Old 10-23-2000, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

heres a very good reason for you bozos to ware a helmets for now on
http://vagina.rotten.com/motorcycle/

bet this guy thought he was lookin cool without a helmet too

Old 10-23-2000, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

DAMN !!!!! I only saw part of that. All I wanted to see.

Look, you guys do what you want. Law be damned. I agree, that the government has no right to try to protect us from ourselves. The helmet is a good idea, law or not.

Go ahead. Don't wear the helmet, hold a beer in one hand while you back up a hill. It's your ***. If I see you do something stupid and get hurt, and weren't taking the appropriate precautions, I'm not helping you.

Before you do something like this, make up a sign and wear it. Make it say "Please do not resuscitate. I chose this fate. I was aware of the dangers, and make this contribution to the cleansing of the gene pool".

Maybe that sounds sort of harsh. But I'm just tired of people not doing things just because someone tells them to.

Old 10-24-2000, 07:25 AM
Trailblazer

Ditto, i was hoping to get my post in there with the exact same point. Its just a little diffirent with motorcycles on road i think because more insurance is available and its less likely youll live, but when your atving youll only have your own medical from work or whatnot. I wear a helmet but i dont frown on others that dont aslong as they are adults. Just dont ever (and i mean EEVVVERRR!)come looking for my socail security taxes for the rest of your life or i just might push your "new electric fourwheeler" (read - motorized wheelchair) over

Old 10-24-2000, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider

You're tired of people not doing something because someone told them to? That's called CHOICE! And for those that may even believe in a god above, he even gives you CHOICE on something much more important than life and death.

I hear a lot of people crying about insurance, social security, etc. And I suppose every one of you that are using that argument do NOT smoke, ALWAYS wear your seat belt, do NOT eat fried foods, do NOT drink, do NOT dial numbers on your cell phone while driving, etc. And I suppose it's the tax dollars from the rest of us that will be paying for that lung transplant, the open heart surgery, a liver transplant, that fancy wheel chair when you are a paralegic???

It all boils down to one thing. Wearing a helmet should be CHOICE, not LAW. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 10-24-2000, 10:31 AM
Range Rover

OK I've got to step in to this mess. I can't help it. You make your choice when you decide to ride. The helmet should just be one of the things that automatically come with it. If you choose to ride you wear a helmet. Just like if you choose to drive you must have a license. If you choose to drive at night you must use your headlights. If you choose to drive a car you must wear a seatbelt. If you don't like it you can choose to break the law, but don't gripe about the outcome when you get pulled over. If wearing a helmet is just so terrible that you just can't stand it then choose not to ride.
The law nation wide should be if you choose to ride on public land then a helmet should be used.

Old 10-24-2000, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

It's amazing how many people in this country these days do NOT believe in little things such as INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS, do NOT believe in FREEDOM, do NOT believe in PERSONAL CHOICE. Let's strip away a persons individual rights, let's take away their freedom, let's throw personal choice out the window. But instead lets make LAWS to take away all these things.

That's one of the main things wrong with this country today. People do NOT respect anothers individuals rights, choices and deem it necessary to lobby for laws in order to force their views upon others. Today you lobby for laws that force others to wear helmets and tomorrow someone lobbies for a law that keeps YOU from having a bird feeder in your yard.

Think twice before you start advocating laws that strips another of their individual rights for come tomorrow the same will be done to you.

Old 10-24-2000, 01:01 PM
Range Rover

i have a buddy i ride with alot iv never seen him with a brain bucket on yet to make it worse his girlfrined don t ware one eirther they ride dubble
on the trail thats not even the fun part he he does uphill wheelie's with her on and jumps whoops
and corner's hard its crazyness this is the kinda thing green groups show video tape of in court when trying to close down our trail land
monica
86 4trx250r
RIDE RED OR RIDE HOME
RIDE SAFE OR WALK HOME LOL

Old 10-24-2000, 10:25 PM
Range Rover

FKNA
I disagree with you on the victumless crime. The victum is the Land owner who gets sued when someone gets killed on their land, this includes Public land.
When riding down in WVa on the Hatfield McCoy trail I talked to the person who runs the local EMS srevice. He said the only DOA he has removed was riding an ATV and wearing a helmet, The ATV went over backwards and the front rack hit him in the temple. THIS WAS NOT ON THE HATFIELD McCOY TRAIL. The locals ride double and with not helmets.
I think there is a big differacne between riding on the street and riding on the trail. You can be riding at 25 MPH and in a split second be off the ATV and on the ground head first.
I was riding a dirt bike down a trail years ago. I was only riding about 35, I went through a water hole that was 6" deep my front and rear wheel caught diffrent ruts. In half a second I hit the ground HARD, my head hit so hard I cracked the helmet. I would have been dead if I had not had a helmet on.
If you are on your own land do what you wish.
I also think you need to ride in some BIG mountians and not in the Tx flat lands to understand.
Wayne B

Old 10-25-2000, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider

Wayne,
I'll be the first to agree that riding an atv can be dangerous. I don't need to go riding in any mountains to find that out. Besides, I don't live in the "flat lands" of Texas. I'll also be the first to agree that HELMET = MORE SAFETY and CAN SAVE LIVES. Point is though, there should be NO LAWS forcing people (adults) to wear helmets.

Now if you want to use lawsuits as an argument, that's a whole other ball game. Frivilous lawsuits is a major problem in this country and should also be reformed. It's ridiculous to see a woman go through the drive-thru of a McDonalds, order a cup of coffee, set that coffee in-between her legs....hit a bump, burn herself due to her own stupidity then become a millionaire over it. Making a law so that it's illegal to put hot liquid between your legs while driving is NOT THE SOLUTION. And the same holds true with helmets

Quick Reply: HELMETS, HELMETS, HELMETS