Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

So. Calif.-Trails Behind Lake Arrowhead Are Now Open!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 12:31 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So. Calif.-Trails Behind Lake Arrowhead Are Now Open!

BEST WOODS SINGLE TRACK RIDING ANYWHERE IN SO. CALIF.!!!

Pinnacles staging area, and the trails are now open! They were closed for a couple of years after the fire, but were reopened Aug. 1. Only thing still closed in 3N34 from the bridge across Deep Creek, up to Tent Peg camp (near Crab Flats). This section has some great technical riding, but no word on when it will reopen.

Old 08-17-2005, 11:55 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any website(s) for arrowhead for some information? Do you think a yamaha warrior and honda 400ex with stock everything would do ok up at arrowhead?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-18-2005, 02:57 AM
Red Rider

Sport bikes are superb for most of the areas, but it is best to have full chassis and swingarm skid plates. The one place that has big rocks is the closed section on 3N34, but with a little work I can get through that with the 400EX. Trail 1W17 is best considered 4wd only, and there are a few other spots where 4wd and high ground clearance are nice to have. We usually ride our utilities up there, just so we can handle anything that happens to come along. We do a lot of winter snow riding in the area as well.

The closure on 3N34 does cut the Pinnacles area off from the Crab Flats area for now, but maybe that will open soon. You can camp at Crab Flats or Big Pine Flats, and ride right from the campgrounds. Those areas were never closed because of the fire.

For day rides I like to stage from Miller Canyon, which is down by Lake Silverwood. That saves doing a long drive up into the mountains. The other good place to stage from is Pinnacles. You can camp there or in the surrounding area, even though it isn't an official campground (it's considered remote camping). Nice, because you can ride right from camp.

See the San Bernardino National Forest web site: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardin...hv/index.shtml

Call the Big Bear Discovery Center, and ask them to send you a set of three OHV trail maps: http://www.bigbear.info/ Get the national forest map as well.

400EXGuy-If you want to come up sometime, we can get a group together and do a ride.

Old 08-18-2005, 07:11 PM
Range Rover

Would I need ro rejet the carbs or would they be ok with like taking the airbox off?

Old 08-19-2005, 02:19 AM
Red Rider

Here is the principle of what I do for altitude adjustment http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...word1=altitude An airbox lid is something like $14. Just buy an extra one and drill a bunch of 1" holes in it, and cover them with duct tape.

I now use the Thunder TPI Valve (http://www.thunderproducts.com/tpi_valve.htm), instead of the holes and duct tape thing. Principle is the same. You are just adding more air, instead of less gas. The system works great!

I rode up there today. A lot of the trails are rough, but should improve with increased traffic on the trail. A couple of spots were severely rain rutted, and I could have used a 4wd. IF YOU ARE SOMEONE WHO ENJOYS A ROUGH, CHALLENGING TRAIL RIDE, THESE TRAILS ARE FOR YOU (you know who you are!). If not, stay away and find some easier place to ride.

The bridge at Deep Creek is closed, because it has been undermined by the winter floods. The road from there up to Crab Flats, is so badly washed out, that you would need a serious rock crawler to do it.

Old 08-29-2005, 12:44 PM
Range Rover

Went to Arrowhead Wed. and was great. A few bugs but a good trip ( sorta got lost and ended up at silverwood lake [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]. Forgot what you said recon and we took 1W17...oye vay... it was a 6 hour ride through heck. There were a few places we had to take the tow rope and tie it to the Honda to a tree (Warrior didnt need it, was alot heavier and aftermarket holeshots= better rock crawler). There were 4 areas where we had to do that and crawl over huge rocks. And on one mountain we were coming down on that trail I had to get off my bike and lift and drop rocks in a trench that was in the middle of the switch back trail. I think i got more of a workout than a vacation...But heck, atleast i can say "Hey, i did that fricken trail, woooo." after we left Arrowhead we headed towards Lake Elsinore and went to Wildomar. Great times, great times...

Old 08-30-2005, 01:00 AM
Red Rider

If you were riding 1W17, you were on the east side of Deep Creek (the Crab Flats side). Actually, the trails I like best are on the west side of the creek (Pinnacles side). You will have to come back and ride those sometime.