Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Where to ride out west?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 10:10 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to ride out west?

I was hoping someone on here could give me some pointers on where to ride out west. I'm from Indiana and we normally go east every year to ride, somewhere like West Virginia. This year were wanting to plan a trip out west. The farthest west I've ever been is Missouri. So I'm totally clueless out west. Were wanting to spend about 5 or 6 days riding. We are looking for some scenic riding. I've seen the Paiute trials on TV. Were open to Utah or Colorado, it really doens't matter the location. Is there a certain time of year thats better? We were thinking about July. Were not really into a bunch of slow rock crawling, theres a few guys that ride fast and we'll have a few slow ones who always bring up the rear. So I guess the question is - If you only had 5 days to ride, where would be the best place to ride?
Thanks DennisC

Old 11-05-2005, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

I'm from New Mexico, we have great places to ride. I know Colorado has a series of trails to ride, I just make my own trails, it depends on what you want...do you want high country? are you planning on camping? it gets hot here, camping in the high country is cool at night, camping in the low country requires AC...

Old 11-06-2005, 03:12 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In July, any place in the lowlands is going to be hot. But, you can ride mornings and evenings at places like Moab (Utah), and get away with it. The Colorado high country should provide cool riding even in July, and the worst of the snow should be gone by then.

Old 11-09-2005, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

Well, being from Utah I'll recommend any place in our state [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Seriously for a July trip the Paiute trails will be a great choice. The main loop is over 250 miles long with over 2500 miles of side trails that range from easy to extreme. The elevations for the paiute trails range from 4000 to 11000 feet above sea level so don't forget to rejet. The trail system is all interconnected with the towns so you can drop down for food, fuel, and a place to sleep. Or you can have a central place to stay and make loops. The other nice thing is that the trails are all interconnected too. On the south end of the Paiute trail system is the Freemont trail system and others. On the north you can connect into the Gooseberry trails and the Great Western trails and the Aarapean trails. Essentially you can practically start at the south end and ride to the north end of our state all by your ATV. If you only have 5 days you pretty much won't even have enough time to ride all the paiute trails. Depending on which trails you want to ride will depend on where you want to stay. Richfield has about the best ammenities. Fillmore isn't too bad either especially if you want to ride mountains one day and the desert the next. A lot of people who bring trailers like Marysvale. If you want to ride other trails like Gooseberry, Aarapean trails, and the San Rafael Trails then Salina would probably be a little better spot. Essentially you have too many choices and too little time.

For Moab I would recommend this in the spring or Fall) Defeniately not a July time. Yo don't have to rock crawl to ride Moab either. There are plenty of trails but they do have some of the more extreme trails in Utah.