Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Dune riding?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dune riding?

My buddies and I are planning a trip to go dune riding at Little Sahara in Oklahoma during the last week of December. Does anyone know what the average temps are like down there during this time? Also how important is it to have sand tires for your quad? I was thinking about just getting rear paddles but I am wondering if they are even worth spending the money on.

Old 11-14-2005, 09:32 PM
Trailblazer
Default Dune riding?

I Love Little Sahara State Park. We go there at least two times a year but would love to go more often than that. We went at Thanksgiving a couple of years ago & it was 19 degrees. Pretty cold, but it warmed back up to about 50 the last day we were there. We went during Thanksgiving last year too & it was not quite so bad. We did take a lot of firewood and kept a campfire going most of the time. We just bundled up & the heat from the motor helps keep you warm while you ride. If you don't like getting stuck in the deep sand you need paddles. We even get stuck with paddles in some of the sand. Our 1st trip up there we bought paddles. It sure makes a difference.

Old 11-14-2005, 10:37 PM
Trailblazer
Default Dune riding?

19 degrees during the day, or at night? Sounds like alot of people really like it down there. It will be my first time ever riding in sand so we will have to see how it goes. Thanks for your input.

Old 11-15-2005, 12:19 AM
Trailblazer
Default Dune riding?

Nineteen degrees during the heat of the day. about 9 degrees at night. There were still people riding. I had to take my turkey inside the camper to thaw it out. I never had to buy ice the whole week we were there. Sand is so much fun. You will love it. You will see so many different things there. Some of the best looking dune buggys I have ever seen. We went for the Snake Hunt weekend. That gets really crazy, about like Mardi Gras. Once you go you will want to go again.

Old 11-15-2005, 12:36 AM
Trailblazer
Default Dune riding?

Sweet, this is already sounding like the best time 4 wheeling ever!!!

Old 11-15-2005, 01:26 AM
Trailblazer
Default Dune riding?

Little Sahara Has 75 ft sand dunes. You can ride at night too so be sure to have some headlights. We also use glow sticks on our whips. That way if you decide to just sit & spectate you will also be lit up enough to be seen. You may hear people riding any hour of the night or day. A lot of the dune buggys go out at night and they are awesome to watch & ride in if you are lucky enough to know someone with one. You will have a great time, regardless of the temperature. We have only met super nice people there & have come home knowing we had the greatest time ever. Good Luck on your trip & ride safe. We have seen several people careflighted out too.