Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Headed to Hatfield McCoy

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 05:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headed to Hatfield McCoy

We are taking 15 people to HM the week between Christmas and New Years...all of us are first timers but I have read every piece of information I can get to on HM and all of us have the equipment and the experience to make the trip great...cant wait to get there and cant wait to give my report and pictures...we all ride 4x4s..big ones (see sig) anyone have any last minute advice as to where to hit and where we might want to avoid due to our height and width? None of us are scared of heights or slighly off-camber riding...just dont want to get in over anyones head (our least experienced rider has been riding for 5years) We own a ATV shop so we have spares for anything that could break...anyone have ANY last minute suggestions? Also is anyone gonna be up there this time of year from this site? We are stayin in Logan and will try and ride as many trails as we can in 4 full days of riding...how long does it take to get from one section of trails to another? Is there parking at trail heads if you go from Logan to another town/county? Also if there is parking how big is the parking area (we take a F350 crew cab long bed with a 24ft enclosed trailer) will we fit?

Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure that I dont run into too many suprises!!

One more thing...if anyone has driven to HM from VA and feels like they can give good driving directions please let me know...I have mapquested it at 12hrs but have talked to others that have made the same trip from here in 8 hours (i am an hour east of Richmond VA)

Thanks again!

Old 12-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Range Rover

It would surprise me if it takes you 8 hours. But it might i make it in less than 9 from oc marylnd. If you are staying in logan i take it you will ride rockhouse if so there is a big parking lot there. You can ride from man to gilbert in about 2.5 to 3.5 hours depending on your speed Watch out for trail 35 from man to gilbert you would be traveling down hill and its a tuff hill and also a black trail but that is the only problem on that trail. If you go to gilbert another way and come back on 35 it would be up hill so depends on wether you like going up or down.I take it that you know when you get to gilbert you can ride in town just like man.Be carefull about getting back before dark its scary up there at night.not scary just different trying to up and down the hills . BROWNINGFORK COULD TAKE YOU 2OR 3 DAYS TO SEE ALL THE TRAILSAND ALSO TRAIL 34 OR 35 HAS A REAL DEEP HOLE ON IT I DIDNT MAKE IT THROUGH ANY OTHER QUESTIONS LET ME KNOW AND WHERE ARE YOU STAYING IN LOGAN

Old 12-18-2005, 08:14 PM
Range Rover

If you dont get lost its less than 7 hours and thats stopping for a drink or gas a few times

Old 12-18-2005, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer

Shedman,

Thanks for the info!! I am not sure where in Logan we are stayin one of my buddies is takin care of the rooms...knowin him it will be a hotel (he would live in a holiday inn if he could dont ask me why)...I am reallllly looking forward to this trip...will we be ok on width on all the trails? I know not to go on the red ones already but other than that I want to cover asmuch as we can...thanks again for the info and quick reply!

Old 12-18-2005, 10:28 PM
Range Rover

I ride a 800efi polaris and have no trouble at all . Dingess rum had one narrow trail but if no one came the other way your fine. You will be grinning from ear to ear coming home trust me.

Old 12-20-2005, 01:08 PM
Range Rover

If you are staying in Logan, you are roughly equal distance from the bear wallow trail or rockhouse. You will have to trailor the quads to either parking lot because Logan does not permit you to travel on the roads, but Mann and Gilbert do. Park in Mann and ride into Gilbert. Once you are in Gilbert you can ride around the town, grab some gas and food. The scenery is breathtaking on these trails. Seeings that you all have 4x4's the winter conditions shouldn't really give you any problems. Just follow your maps, some of the black trails can get kinda tricky.