Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

New to SoCal and looking for places to go.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 12:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to SoCal and looking for places to go.

OK guys.....you've got a Southern Boy transplant here in CA from VA by way of MS. I am new to the So Cal area and needless to say I'm not really sure of all the places to go riding out here yet. I have been looking at Octillo Wells, but honestly I am more used to more trail riding and a little mudding (every now and then). So I am asking all the So Cal people out there to give me some ideas preferably within an hour or so of LA. I appreciate the info in advance.....just tough when your new to the area and don't know anyone.--Rob

Old 02-16-2006, 12:14 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, what kind of machine do you ride???? Mostly this is more sport bike country, but a utility can be usefull in some places. I have two groups I ride with, one is pure desert sport bikes and the other is a utiltiy group (mostly guys who live in the mountains) who go out looking for terrifying terrain. (I am in the process of selling off my utilities, and switching to dirt bikes for mountain riding.)

Basically, you have the high desert (eg. Stoddard Wells, Johnson Valley, Dove Springs/Jawbone, Rasor Road), the low desert (eg. Ocotillo Wells, Superstition Mountain), the San Bernardino and San Gabrial Mountains, the dunes (eg. Glamis, Dumont, Pismo), and the Eastern Sierra (eg. Kennedy Meadows, Bishop/Mammoth) My favorite spot for trails is in the San Bernardino Mtns!

I have a buddy who lives in Chino Hills. I will have him PM you.

I'll find some links and post them.................

Old 02-16-2006, 12:34 PM
Red Rider

These links should give you a good start:

http://www.all-offroad.com/DirtBikes...ing_Areas.html

http://offroad.honda.com/novice/the_....aspx?state=CA

Old 02-16-2006, 12:58 PM
Trailblazer

Hi there,

I'm in Chino Hills as well, and I love riding around here.
Wayne (reconranger) and some of the people on this forum actually showed me all the amazing places to go around here.
Send me an email and we'll get together sometime. gus@chyba.net
I am a trail rider, I have a 4x4 Outlander Max 2-seater ATV and a Yamaha Rhino side x side.

What kind of machine(s) do you have?

Gus

Old 02-16-2006, 07:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I appreciate all the information. Actually, before I moved out here I sold a '98 Arctic Cat 400 2x4 because I didn't think that I would have time or places to go riding out here. Kept my '02 Shadow A.C.E beacuase I thought I would ride it out here, but it quickly became apparent that the drivers out here are nuts and I wouldn't want to take my chances on the freeways. Sold it and got a '05 King Quad a few months ago and have just been getting it ready to go out....that's my excuse, just been really busy with work and a 9 month old.

Gus, sounds like you may know of some decent places close to Chino Hills so setting a ride would definitely be something I could do on a Sat or Sun. Drop me a line @ rcrain_ms@hotmail.com.

Rob

Old 02-17-2006, 12:58 PM
Red Rider

I give detailed directions to Miller Canyon here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...9&parentpage=4

This is a good place to stage from for San Bernardino Mountain rides (trails behind Lake Arrowhead). It is at lower altitude, so you don't have to do a long drive into the mountains, yet you can ride up to some nice places. Plus if it snows this weekend, you can do some snow riding at higher altitude............

Old 02-17-2006, 01:03 PM
Trailblazer

We're meeting there on Sunday at 10:30 am. Can you make it?

Old 02-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Red Rider

Beware if Gus is going, because that means there will probably be a flash flood or something!

The snow level is supposed to be real low this weekend. Miller Canyon catches a lot more snow than the surrounding area, plus parts are in the shade so it lasts too. I'm still nursing an injured shoulder, and probably can't ride for another month. Enjoy........

Old 02-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Are you saying Gus is bad luck?? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Hopefully, my King and his Bomb will keep us out of any trouble. Looking forward to getting out and seeing some of the better parts of California. Get your shoulder healed so that we all could go out next time.

Old 02-17-2006, 07:35 PM
Trailblazer

Me? Bad luck? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Ask Wayne how he hurt his shoulder (or was that your wrist) when he went over backwards on that hill where we're going Sunday...
But I do have a video I can send you (if you have high speed internet) of what we ran into at Miller Canyon during a rainstorm last month...

Quick Reply: New to SoCal and looking for places to go.