Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Is Your State ATV Friendly???

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Your State ATV Friendly???

Well the main reason for the trails is the population vs. land size. In MT we have less than one million people, but one of the biggest states, whereas out east, Rhode Island has more people in a tiny place. I would bet that we have more ridable acres than RI has total acres.

I personally could never live out east, I love the mountains too much and not much into factories and polluted air. I travel all over the west and north parts of the county for my job (even New York) and Montana and Western Washington are about the best places I have seen to live personally. As for riding, we have some of the best here, including some of the best sand dunes in Idaho, about 5 hours from my house.

I find myself very fortunate in powersports, except for watersports. Within 3 hours of my house is some of the best snowmobiling the nation has to offer and if you know the spots, some of the best ATV/dirt bike riding around.

Old 03-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Range Rover

Your right about the population issue and I would never expect as many trails as MT has, seeing as MA has almost 6 million people and is a fraction of the size of Montana.. However, the problem is that what land is available; the state sets the "bar" so high for what is acceptable for ATVs, that it is almost impossible for a trail system, and that is definetlely politics, be it Dems of Repubs. And we have to pay $20 a year to register. For what??? I don't mind paying for things, but I expect something in return, even if its a case of the "runs" from McDonalds.. But hey whatta you want for a $4 meal???

Old 03-26-2006, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 2001400ex

All I am saying is, don't bring politics into this. Each state has their own land issues and I have not seen any support to show a connection between state politics and amounts of available riding ares.
In this state everything revolves around politics. And that is why ATVers are going to be screwed. The decisions are made by government functionary hacks that simply bow down to the pressure applied to them by the politicians. The politicians in this state are all in a political-correctness-competition while at the same time being bought by lobbyists and guess what.......environmentalists have a strong lobby......"environmental protection" is politically correct.......and ATVers are evil rapers and pillagers of our lands bent on hellfire destruction and uncontrolled mayhem......in other words.....we lose on the political correctness front......in this state that is what counts at that is why the state is drafting regulations that are so outrageously restrictive. It is layered with so much ludicrious criteria so as to give the state any ammunition they want to shut down >>>>ALL<<<< the existing riding areas while at the same time making it virtually imposible to create any new riding areas because no place on the face of this earth will meet all criteria in the new rules.

Don't tell me this isn't about politics. In Massachusetts if it's a state government agency, department, bureau etc, etc, etc....then you damn well bet politics has everything to do with the "directions" that those government functionary hacks take.

Old 03-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer

Well finally I went to a cool riding area today in Winchendon Ma.
2 Huge sand pits and tons of trails, there must of been 30 bikes their today.
A bunch of Dirtbikes and quads even carved out a track to race around................I HAD A BLAST!!!!
I'll be going back. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-26-2006, 09:19 PM
Trailblazer

Hey BITSA, calm down a little. Its comments like this that I am referring to "Generally all the left wing nut jobs tend to be on the coasts with all the decent conservative types in the middle of the country, i.e. places where they have lots of state funded trails."

I know I am in the far minority on this website (being more democratic), but statements like that are ridiculous. You are correct in one way, politicians are the ones who write the laws in this country, as our elected officials.

There is zero correlation from the whether the state is republican or democrat to the amount of riding available. Look at Texas, from what I read there is not much riding there, they are closing lands (from other posts on these forums) and do not try to tell me that is because of the democrats, cause I am not sure if there is one democrat in that state. Same for Oklahoma.

I am just saying that democrats get a bad reputation for closing land by republicans, but there is more than enough evidence to disprove that theory.

Old 03-26-2006, 09:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

there is still pretty good riding places in florida like ocala and croom and a couple other place but they are still shutting down trails and places

Old 03-27-2006, 05:14 PM
Trailblazer

I gotcha all beat...

Two words

NEW JERSEY

Too bad for words.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

What is this legislation that is going on in MA? I'm curious, I have a **** load of trails around my house. Of course I have to ride the powerlines that I'm not supposed to, to get to them. I dont really feel like running from the cops, but if there is nowhere else to ride and I've paid salestax and registration fees I will ride somewhere, illegal or not.

Old 03-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Originally posted by: bank
At least Cali has the death penalty though!!
Well, check your words. We may have it, but evidentally it might cause the condemned too much pain. We had actually had a pretty full calendar at San Quentin. Everything is on hold now.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 03-27-2006, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: west350bruin
What is this legislation that is going on in MA? I'm curious, I have a **** load of trails around my house. Of course I have to ride the powerlines that I'm not supposed to, to get to them. I dont really feel like running from the cops, but if there is nowhere else to ride and I've paid salestax and registration fees I will ride somewhere, illegal or not.
It is new "rules" being drafted currently which will dictate criteria upon which LEGAL riding areas will stay open to ORVs or will be shut down........the "rules" will also be used to qualify any new LEGAL riding areas.

The problem is that these new "rules" are so insanely restrictive and layered with multiple government agencies, enviromentalists, wildlife advocates etc..... that will need to approve of riding areas that it will allow for any and all of the existing LEGAL riding areas to be shut down and make it virtually impossible to get a new riding approved.

It's our state government intentionally developing criteria which will become laws upon which they can reference to completely eliminate ORVs/ATVs from any state property. As it is they shut down Myles Standish and just last year in a sneeky behind the scenes fashion they shut down Savoy State Forest. We currently have NO LEGAL ATV riding area in eastern MA (unless you consider the Georgetown/Rowley 5 mile postage stamp a viable area.......but that will also be shut down regardless).

They are out to screw us......they're simply drafting the rules to give them the legal foundations upon which to do so.

Check out how our Massachusetts government is fixing to screw us here: The Rules of our Demise

Quick Reply: Is Your State ATV Friendly???