Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield and McCoy Anybody been there?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatfield and McCoy Anybody been there?

I'm going down there in two weeks and I was wondering if anyone can offer some advice on the dos and do nots as far as that trail systems is concerned. I want to know what I should bring(someone was telling me to bring a tire repair kit and expect flats) Also where to ride and where to avoid. I'm staying in the town of Gilbert and I'll only be riding for two days so I don't want to waste a lot of time taking trails that aren't great.

Old 04-25-2006, 11:39 PM
Range Rover

Where are you staying in gilbert

Old 04-25-2006, 11:52 PM
Range Rover

What type of trails do you like, are you riding browningfork trails only ? Which has 115 miles of trails . Or do you plan on going on other trails or i should say trail heads such as castlerock in pineville? Always carry a tire repair kit on those trails . I have been there 8-9 times and none of us have ever had a flat but have heard of people having them . You might want extra gas unless you plan on riding from gilbert to mann and eating for lunch and refueling which is what we do. It will take between 2.5 to 3.5 hours to get to mann depending on how fats you ride and stop for pics. Now if you ride really fast you may make it in 1.5 to 2 hours but thats too fast for me. Let me know what kind of trails you like and i will give you some numbers of the trails to see and take route to get to mann

Old 04-26-2006, 12:24 AM
Range Rover

You can find alot of info at quadcrew.com also

Old 04-26-2006, 08:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for responding Herb. Myself and the friends I am going with like to ride hard trails with water and mud and hills and stuff like that what we don't want is real technical trails where you have to crawl over large rocks and stuff and you kill the bottom of your quad though. So any advice you could give me on where to ride would be appreciated

Old 04-28-2006, 03:44 PM
Range Rover

Sorry got busy a few days and forgot ya. Where were you staying in gilbert? If you ride the blue trails they will be right you alley but make sure you ride trail 35 it was black but know blue i beleive its alot of fun. I take it that you have went to the sight Trailsheaven.com and go to trail maps and print out the map for browningfork trails. Stay off the black they will be tough. I like 14-35-35-31-35-37-36-21-40-45-50. These trails are for what you described that you liked. Owe yea i think you will like the ride from gilbert up the mountain to twin hollow campground. Have fun and ask any questions you still might have .

Old 04-30-2006, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

ya i have been there and plane to go back again and again. i have been there 3 times .the last time we staid at the twin hollow campground. but i don't know if i would stay there again that hill you clime to get up to it you also have to go back down and it will wear out your breaks on your car (big hill) but it is a great place to stay and i do highly recamend staying there.
but me I'll stay at the bottom of the hill in gilbert were the food and the night time entertainment is.

i hope you have a winch if your going to ride the black trails it could get you out of big trouble
yeah been there done that.

Trending Topics

Old 04-30-2006, 09:37 PM
Trailblazer

you don't want to hit technical rocky trails and you are staying in gilbert where the trailhead is "ROCK"house? Have fun. We stayed there for a week at Fox's Place and it was the best riding I've even done. It's rocky in most parts, there are some places to get into mud and water, but not a whole lot. You should have went to waterways or that new pinnacle creek. They have the mud and water and not so technical riding. Either way, you'll be fine and have a fun. Just don't go flying off the mountain, and at the top of trail 32? i think, the land in front of the pyramid looking mountain, there are some mud holes and small jumps and little trails. Have a good time.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:59 AM
Range Rover

I just road pinnacle creek a few weeks ago for the 4th time . There really is not much mud there. Browning fork has more. But it is smoother trails and is one of my favorite trails. Waterways does not have any more mud than browning fork trails but is smoother and is a very scenic trail which we enjoy alot. Ride browning fork the first day and try thr trails i told ya and if you dont like it than run up to pineville and try pinnacle creek its only 35 minutes away

Old 05-05-2006, 06:47 AM
Trailblazer

Im originally from WV and there is a lot more places that are bigger and better than the hat/mcy trails,and it is free. Just like it was on the land that the hmt leased and are charging people to ride on. They have a bunch of stupid rules and are just trying to rape people's wallets. Just north of Bluefeild,WV next to Crumpler at a place called Hilltop is a place u can unload for $2 and hundreds of miles of trails for free and places to stop and get fuel, drinks & hot food while out riding. There are other places you can unload for free but its hard to explain where. Its still a lot cheaper than hmt. If you go, just ask around while out riding and you will probably find some other places to unload. You see half of WV is owned by land company's that just dont care if you ride. So why pay and have to woory about getting fined for doing something wrong. Like on the hmt trails. HMT is a big stupid money racket, to fool people who are from out of state that just dont know any better. Let me know if you kneed any more info. GOOD LUCK !!!

Quick Reply: Hatfield and McCoy Anybody been there?