Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Places to ride it PA??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 10:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Places to ride it PA??

Hi, I could use some info on state trails if you don,t mind. Thanx!

Old 09-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer

For the PA state places, check out the PA DCNR website. Many of them are small and hardly worth the trip but I really liked the area in Sproule near Kettle Creek. Well able to keep your interest for a couple of days. I also liked the one near "Sideling Hill" because you could access that 8 mile strip of the PA turnpike that was abandoned years ago. Cool tunnel to ride thru. Spooked me! I'm sure you're not supposed to ride there but there was really nothing stopping you. Search for PA DCNR ATV and you will find a PA state map with little ATV icons all over it. Each is a link t a description. They are free to ride on as long as your registered and insured. The rangers I talked to just asked, they didn't inspect my paperwork. I was concerned because being from NJ, I have no Tag.

Also, there's the Allegheny N.F. ATV trails. These aren't listed on the DCNR site because these are not State trails. Allegheny NF has its own site. Only one section was big enough to really make you feel like you were in the wilderness. But the other smaller sections could keep you busy for a half day each. You culd enjoy the the bigger section ("Marrienville" I think) for a couple of days easily. They do charge something like $15 a day or $35 a week; I forget.

So even though some of them are kind of lame, you could probably spend a pretty good week between Allegheny and Sproule (Kettle Creek). I mention Kettle creek because there's another section in Sproule that I've never seen before.

TowewrCityTrailridersinc.com was $35 or 45/day but you could apply that to a $250/annual membership at the end ofthe day if you decided you wanted to join. And I think that's $250/family/year so it's not as steep as it sounds.

I would love infor about the "New Philadelphia" place. If you know of safe places to park ad offload, I sure would appreciate an email Robert_Fowler@yaho.com

Old 09-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Trailblazer

sorry about not getting back sooner....I just simply have not been online. There are an awful lot of places to ride in the region.......alot are kept "hush-hush" for obvious reasons. Scranton has been an area we've been hitting now.........haven't been back to New Philadelphia since June. When you stated you've seen trails along the roads in the Poconos, where were you at??? WE live 15min south of Pocono Raceway and have a fair amount of riding to do right out of the yard. Last month we went to Tug Hill for four days.....500 miles of BORING trails. It's funny since we talked with alot of people from up there who come to PA to ride since PA has more variety in the type of riding.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:00 PM
Trailblazer

Correction........Hazleton is where we go....not Scranton!

Old 10-05-2006, 12:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

How do you get there?? I was wondering. If you could help that would be great .. Hazeltown pa.. coal minds

Old 10-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

hazleton sucks. closer to scranton, in the hills with the coal mines.