Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield McCoy Bad experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 04:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatfield McCoy Bad experience

Ok here it is, I rode the pinnacle creek trails and I highly recomend it for great scenic family rides. Although, Staying in the town of pineville was horrible. Not enough is said about accomodations outside the trails. Don't expect the holiday inn if you stay there. The best accomodations in pineville are the worst I have ever experienced. Everyone in town was very friendly but they all stated that the crime is up so much in the town of pineville that hardly anyone goes out at night anymore. I was told by everyone to stay inside at night because of all the knifeings and robberies that take place in and around all the local motels and stores. I stayed awake half the night with my 38 cal. in hand waiting for something to happen. I wound up cutting my vacation short because I could never really relax. Local merchants were telling me that people are so bold that they drive up in front of there stores and steal entire coke machines or cars or anything they want at all hours of the day or night. ATV robberies are at a all time high.

As far as the trails are concerned I enjoyed them all. But as I said it was hard to relax not knowing if my truck and trailer was going to be where I left it. I will go back again someday but I will not stay anywhere near the town of pineville.

Take this for what you want it is only my opinion,
Mud

Old 09-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Sounds like a pretty rough place to stay. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 09-07-2006, 03:45 AM
Trailblazer

Wow, I've been down there a dozen times and never had a problem. Never heard of any problems either.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:30 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

Same here, been there many times and never heard of a problem. I've always stayed at the Cow Shed motel while in that area. I reckon one should give some weight to what the locals say though, so perhaps a "heads-up" would be in order...

Old 09-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Had a friend that worked in Kentucky for a mining operation for a while. Met him in Memphis one year, and the hotel we stayed was less than desirable to the wife. My friend proclaimed it was a Kentucky Castle, compared to what he was used to.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mud,
Although you dont have to share this information with me, I am curious as to where you were staying?? I have been a resident of Pineville for 24 years now, and I can only recollect two incidents of crime that were news worthy. I am really sorry you had such a bad experience, and have a bad outlook on our small town. Considering we have a host of ATV's, the majority of ours are left outside. Yes, they are under 1 chain and 2 locks, first of all because you can never be too careful, and second of all we leave at least 8 outside. Before we moved locations we left all 26 outside without lock and chain, and not 1 was vandalized, moved, nor stole. Also, there are only two stores that I can think of right off hand in the town of Pineville that have coke machines or any machines for that matter outside. Once again, I am very sorry that your stay wasnt one of fun filled memories with the thoughts of only revisiting out side of town. I only have 1 recommendation, if you do come back, the only place I would encourage you to stay out of town is Twin Falls State Park. The park is closed down at 10 pm and is under watch of anyone trying to enter past that time. Anywhere else out of town could possible be like staying in town, and I sure wouldnt want you to have those feelings of insecurity once more. Considering our town houses the County Seat and Sheriff's Dept., the outskirts are not as populated with patrol as the Town of Pineville.
Sincerely,
K

Old 10-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey madmudden1. Let me see if I can help. I work in pineville for a family that has a few businesses, one they have the executive inn(executiveinnwv.com) if you ever find a holiday inn as nice please let me know. They also have Happy Trails ATV rentals(Happytrailsatv.com) We just finished up four trail houses that are really nice. They are right across the road from the Wyoming County Sheriff Department, and they are right next door to the Chief Deputy. I would think that anything outside would be perfectly safe. If not it would look really bad on the sheriffs department. You would just need to kick back and relax, and open a window and listen to the creek outside, or go outside in a handmade Oak tree chair by the fire pit and relax. We have never heard about any of the knifeings or robberies, as some people talk only because they have a mouth. Do not beleive everything you hear.
Next time you are comming to town please give us a call at 1-304-732-6096 or 1-304-732-8566 to see if we can help. In the mean time please feel free check out our web sites or email me at atvrideraj@yahoo.com if you have any questions.

Trending Topics

Old 10-11-2006, 03:50 AM
Pro Rider

I want to clarify something. I did not experince any problems myself while I stayed in the town of Pineville. Everything I wrote about was hear say from local merchants. All the places I visited in town, the locals were extremely friendly nice and helpful. I stayed in the mountain motel (not the ritz) but all the people there were helpful and friendly also. As far as the people go it is a great community and I enjoyed visiting the town but, almost everyone I talked to all said the same things. Crime was up and stay inside at night. I had several friends staying at the cow shed motel, our riding group consisted of several states and we all experienced the same thing. All total there were 13 families approx 28 people that cut our vacation short. None of us actually had problems so it may have been merchants just running there mouth's. It did leave us feeling insecure so that is why we all left early.

I do not want anyone to be discurraged from going to pineville. And I strongly recommend riding the trail system there. Everyone should make there own conclusions but as I said before I and all my friends were very uncomfortable by what was being told to us and none of us could fully relax and that is why all of us cut our trip short.

Again just my opinion take it for what it is worth,
Thanks Mud

Old 10-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Range Rover

thank you for the heads up!

Old 10-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

I've ridden the trail in Pineville, have been to/through Pineville many times, and I have not heard any of those stories, especially since I live sorta close to there, about a half an hour or so. It might have been tales that the merchants even heard and passed around. Who knows? Sorry your trip was cut short though. Try Gilbert next time, and with that big a group, stay at the Junction Creekside in Hanover (about 4-5 miles from Gilbert). We stayed there last time, liked it a lot, and rode from there to Gilbert to the trails.

Quick Reply: Hatfield McCoy Bad experience