Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Help a CHADWICK newbie

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a CHADWICK newbie

I'm thinking about voyaging to chadwick, MO for my 18th birthday party, but I've never been and don't know exactly where it is. I know you get permits at some gas station, and thats about it. Can someone give me directions (or better yet a LINK) that tells me stuff? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:26 AM
Trailblazer

Comming from St loius, go down I 44 to U. S. 65 south {it is just as you get to springfeild}, go south on 65 until you get to the Spart exit, I think this is County road F, But the exit says sparta, go east and this road turns into State hiway 14, follow this till the hiway 125 south turn off, this will take you to the town of Chadwick. It is a real small town, you cant miss the only gas station in town, that is where you buy riding tag.GET A MAP while you are there, they are free and you will need one!!!!!!!!!!!

After you leave the gas station keep going down 125 to couty road H, turn on it and go south. If you are going to ride just for the day look for CAMP RIDGE rd and turn in there.

If you are going to camp, keep going past camp ridge rd to LOOK OUt rd and turn in there. I recomend camping, it has running water and showers, a great experince.

I will try to find a link and post it.

Old 09-29-2006, 05:11 PM
Trailblazer

Mojave Mark gave good directions. The name of the gas station in Chadwick is "Kays". It will cost you $5/quad/day for a permit, or $35 for yearly permit. Not sure about nightly fees for campsites. He is right GET A MAP there! you can get lost without one.

LOOKOUT ROAD that leads to Cobb ridge where the campsites are is a gravel road leading off of H. It can be hard to find if your not looking closely for it. Dont park in the campsite unless you have a campsite permit! You can get fined for it. You can go past the campsite on lookout road and there are places to park alongside the road if you are just there for the day.

Camp ridge is for day use only, no camping. but they do have primitive toilets and picnick tables there.

The map marks the trails easy, intermediate and expert. The expert trails can get real hairy, there have been guys who have gone down some of them and couldnt get back out. they had to hire a helecopter to lift them out. The trails are not always marked the best either.

It is really rocky there, good aftermarket skid plates are a good idea. And if you can ride with a friend. If you break down it could be a looooong walk back.

Stay alert going down the trails, ride with your lights on if you have them. the trails are 2 way traffic so you could go flogging around a bend and meet someone head on. When you are ready to go up or down a steep hill shut off your quad and listen for someone coming the other way, could be bad to meetsomeone on a steep hill. yeild to traffic going up hill

Old 09-29-2006, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

Okay. That was easy. Thanks!