Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

PA ATVers - a place for you and the family

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 11:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PA ATVers - a place for you and the family

Howdy 2TV,

It appears that we crossed 233 and a second rd.on our way in from Big Flat. Yes, we crossed those ditches and they definately were fun. I'd say that this area was pretty much near the top of the hill. I don't remember seeing any pavement reminents since I was going fairly fast but the trail was pretty smooth. At that point, it was getting late so we decided to head back to the parking area. The last thing I needed was to get lost after dark. Yea, I was hoping that we could get up there this Sat. but a family emergency might abort that venture. By the way, those photos are real nice. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:22 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

Ahh, you must have parked at the Piney Mountain parking lot. This is the one that has the bathroom (outhouse) that has a sign warning about poisonous snakes. Yes, coming from the direction of where you parked the Big Flat trail crosses Rt 233, then you have a mostly uphill run from there to where the trail ends at Shippensburg Rd. You cross Shippensburg Rd there and enter the Big Flat parking lot. That is where I normally park. I have seen what looks like reminants of pavement on that last uphill section, but perhaps it's just a sheet of rock too, I didn't really look that closely (I'm often sailing over that stuff pretty quickly too, especially on the way back to the parking lot). We don't always ride fast though, it depends on who is riding with us...

Old 01-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

God I love2ride, My buddy and I usually go up pretty often....I would say every other weekend or so. We live in York so it is quite a haul up there. However I would def. be interested in meeting up there sometime, especially if you wanna try some of the harder trails. Alot of it would be new for both of us however I have 500 Sportsman with a Winch, and my buddy has a 2005 Grizzle so you would deff. have help if ya needed it. We would like to ride some of the harder trails but would like to have a little more folks along before we try it. We were just on part of Grave Ridge this past weekend I'm thinking it's the part that 2atv was talking about. We started going down that hill and my buddy alomost went *** over tin cups down the hill cause he didn't see an up sticking boulder so to speak.....I didn't have much trouble however once we got down we decided to walk up a ways and check it out before riding. We walked up to a spot that there was no way either of us could have fit through. There was a tree on one side and a small boulder ridge on the other,,,only way we could have made it going over....haha We decided to wait for another day. So needless to say we had to climb back up the rock cover hill we just came down....Suprisingly not as bad as I thought it would be. Looked much worse then it was. Anyway keep in touch and maybe someday we can meet up somewhere up there and ride.....

Old 01-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

Polaris,

That would be great to have some other people to ride with. I will be up there this Saturday hopefully, and I will have my son with me. He won't go on hard trails but he will try out the moderate trails. As for my Ozark, I will try any trail once, and I'm not afraid to bang her off some rocks, as long as I have someone who can help get me out of there if need be. I have to admit though, that Ozark has gone through some crap I didn't think it would go through. Two weekends ago I took the Fuzzy trail on my way back from the Big Flat parking lot at intersection 4. I found a nice hole along that trail and thought to myself, "why not?". Well let's say I made it about halfway through the hole and started burying it. And doh! I was by myself, nobody else around. Here I am sitting in the middle of this mud hole wondering how the he11 I was going to get out of there. I have a strap that I carry along with me, but no other quad to pull me out. I was buried almost up to my pull rope and managed to rock like he11 and get it out. I was soaked but the smile on my face made me feel great! Are you going up this weekend? I always park at the Piney Mountain parking lot and usually ride to the Big Flat parking lot at least once.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Trailblazer

Guess my description wasn't accurate enough. We started at the Big Flat parking area and rode approx. 6 miles in on the easy trail. Going in, we crossed 2 roads and ended our progression on high ground with a pretty good trail. We turned around at that point and made our way back to Big Flat. It wasn't alot of riding but fun to us nevertheless. Like I said, we hope to get back there soon.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:18 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

Hey guys, we have a group of at least 5 (so far) starting from the Big Flat parking lot at around 10:00. Perhaps we will see you there. You are certainly welcome to ride with us if you want some company on some of the blue runs.

The Fuzzy trail from intersection 4. Humm, I don't remember a significant mud hole on that one. I do remember a bit of a ditch early on kind of in the middle of the trail, I usually straddle it but you can get around it on the right. Going in from that direction you end up climbing a somewhat rough (rocky) leaf covered hill near the end where it approaches the Log Sled at intersection 13. If you went up that one OK, you can probably do pretty much anything that is there (except for Grave Ridge, that is in a class by itself). What we usually do is make a sharp left at 13 and go down the hill (I think that is still part of Fuzzy) and pick up the Log Sled at 18.

We usually ride the Log Sled until we get to 23 then we turn right onto the blue trail (the blue trail at 20 is a bit on the rough side right now). Just a short distance up the trail from 23 there is a decent sized log that you can hop over (well I'm the only one in my group that goes over it, everybody else goes around it). On that trail we sometimes go right at 26 (to take the Rocky Pass trail) or stay to the left and ride the blue trail to the end where it rejoins the Log Sled.

Anyway, there are a variety of ways that we run the system, but usually my group will spend most of the time on the blues in the morning, then more time on the greens on the way back. Sometimes we kick it up a notch on the way back too (getting in a lot of flight time over those erosion barriers!)...

Old 01-18-2007, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

Now I can't remember where I hit that hole. This hole was about 10 feet long and 7 feet wide or so. It also wasn't right on the trail it was beside it. I'm still pretty sure it was the Fuzzy. Maybe I will meet up with you there, but with my son I don't know how many blues he'll be willing to hit. He hates trying to traverse rocks with such a low clearance on his quad.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:42 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

Now if you go left at 3, left at 7, left at 11, right at 10, left at 19 (right-19 is grave ridge!!), left at 17, left at 7 then back to 3 you will be running through several decent sized mud holes. Now there may have been something just off the trail on Fuzzy but I stay on the trail (unless there is something impassible on the trail). We may have one rider from NJ that will be going there for the first time, that's quite a haul for him. Given who we will have riding with us this time around we will be taking it pretty easy, however I do still plan on taking on some blues (easier ones at first) so I can gauge how a couple of the riders handle themselves. We want everyone to be within their comfort zone. The slow / easy ride leader won't be with us this time so we will likely only have one group and we'll have to adjust to accommodate everyone...

Old 01-19-2007, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

2TV,

I will try to be there early enough to meet you at the Big Flat parking lot. If I have decide to park there, I drive a black Chevy 3500 dually with trailer. I may just park at Piney Mountain parking lot and ride up to big flat. It's going to be cold out there tomrrow, my wife asked if I was still going. She obviously doesn't know me very well. I'm still unsure whether I'm going to have him bring his quad or use my Ozark though, I still have to rejet his for the mods I made. But I am not sure I want to take my Trail Boss out as the front tires are getting pretty bald. The last thing I need a flat tire.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:52 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

I'll keep an eye out for you!

We have one person coming in from New Jersey (3 1/2 hour drive), it will be his 1st time there although he is going to aim for 10:00 like the rest of us. We will wait up to an hour for the members of our group to show up. Looks like we will have 7. I have a tan F-250 crew cab diesel with "Quadcrew.com" on the back window and will be pulling a modified 5x8 trailer hauling two quads sideways on it. I'll be leading our group on a Ducks Unlimited Camo 700 Grizzly and will be wearing a camo helmet. The other riders will have a Rubicon, a Kodiak (not sure if a 400 or 450), a King Quad 700, a pair of 450-S Foremans and a Rincon. The Rincon rider (new to the ATV scene and it's his first machine) is the least experienced of the bunch so how and where we ride will be determined by his abilities and comfort level.

Yes, it is supposed to be cold and windy, so one needs to dress accordingly. Lots of layers, with the ability to add or subtract them as the day progresses. My plan is to head out of Big Flat and take the loop starting at intersection 3 that I described in my previous post, then take the Log Sled to intersection 4 to pick up the Fuzzy trail and we will see how it goes from there...

Quick Reply: PA ATVers - a place for you and the family