Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

What Happened to Maybrook, NY?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Happened to Maybrook?

I know this is old news but I was just curious as to why it was shut down. I heard sometime last year that it was shut, but never really understood why. I assume it was because of all the ussual reasons (locals bitching, knuckleheads leaving garbage and riding in unautherized areas, etc..) but I was wondering if anyone knew anything specific.

Also, has there been any sort of movement to get it reopenned?

I moved to Orange County NY about 16 months ago. Upon moving here the first thing I did was buy a quad because I had wanted one for years. I live about 15 miniutes from Maybrook and when I first moved here Maybrook was open, then they closed it before I ever got a chance to ride it. Great timing..

Old 03-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Range Rover
Default What Happened to Maybrook, NY?

Here's the deal: NOBODY KNOWS.

It may be open, it may be closed. Kind of like a 'Ride At Your Own Risk' situation. I've heard stories of people being arrested, and I've ridden there problem-free.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:20 AM
Range Rover

Maybrook was never a legal riding area - it was one of those 'no complaint, no problem' areas, so it can't be 're-opened' since it was never really open in the first place

I haven't been there since last summer but I know a few guys who rode there recently and didn't have a problem. I would suggest talking to the folks at The Roadhouse or at Brady's before going to see if you can still park there or maybe go one afternoon and see if anyone is riding. I wouldn't suggest going over the tracks and parking in the pits hoping no one will see you.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks,
Don't think I'm willing to take the risk, don't need the headache.
Regarding it never being a legal riding area to begin with, you're right. Let me rephrase the question.

Does anybody know why they started to enforce Maybrook so suddenly, when nobody had seemed to care for years before? It seems like it happend rather suddenly.

Originally posted by: dirtdame
Maybrook was never a legal riding area - it was one of those 'no complaint, no problem' areas, so it can't be 're-opened' since it was never really open in the first place

I haven't been there since last summer but I know a few guys who rode there recently and didn't have a problem. I would suggest talking to the folks at The Roadhouse or at Brady's before going to see if you can still park there or maybe go one afternoon and see if anyone is riding. I wouldn't suggest going over the tracks and parking in the pits hoping no one will see you.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Range Rover

We parked in the woods lot twice, and rode problem-free all day (KNOCK ON WOOD!).

They started to enforce laws there for no apparent reason. I've heard that 1) a building company bought the land from Yellow Freight (right on the property) who owns the land, 2) locals were complaining, 3) it was getting too crowded, and 4) cops started to get annoyed. I know a dude who rides there almost every weekend and hasn't had a problem.

I haven't been able to get out in a while, and thinking about it now, I'm afraid to go back. I think I'll head over to MA or PA and ride there.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:51 PM
Range Rover

i dont know if you guys have been to this site but its an hour from maybrook where they ride. www.nyatvonline.com in sullivan county. also try scatvassn.com they do hugh charity runs with like 800 quads also in sullivan county and the monticello area - Joe

Old 03-28-2007, 07:50 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks, I didn't know about those places. I'll check them out. I have 10 acres of property about 6 miles from Monitcello so I'm up there alot.

BTW. Interesting coincidense, I had to go to the Yellow Frieght building yesterday to pick up some things I ordered (One of those things is a rough trail mower to cut some new trail.). There are certainly a bunch of POSTED signs there now.

Originally posted by: YFZJOE450
i dont know if you guys have been to this site but its an hour from maybrook where they ride. www.nyatvonline.com in sullivan county. also try scatvassn.com they do hugh charity runs with like 800 quads also in sullivan county and the monticello area - Joe

Old 03-28-2007, 08:58 AM
Range Rover

no problem - Joe

Old 03-29-2007, 04:10 PM
Range Rover

There were a bunch of Posted signs when I was there, too. They seem to be "stay off the locals property" signs though. If you ride the trails out to the side (literally, the side) of I-84, there's 'No Motor Vehicles Allowed' signs everywhere.

Maybrook is a creepy place. Never know if you'll turn the corner and be face-to-face with a cop...

Old 03-31-2007, 12:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think they enforced it around hunting season to give hunters a break. I got hassled around hunting season but now that the hunting season is over i have been riding there problem free. I love that place. check out my website there is a lot of Maybrook pics under places to ride www.cthroughmyeyes.com
if you go and you get hassled well that is a chance you take. believe me it is worht it. again i love that place.
what is the deal with the sullivan county place. how do you get there to ride and can you ride on weekends and where do you go to be able to ride.

Quick Reply: What Happened to Maybrook, NY?