Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

are atvs street legal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are atvs street legal?

don't know about the rest of wv, but in wv where the hatfield mccoy trails are you can ride from your hotel to the trail head on the road without adding any special mods.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Range Rover

Not in Oregon, no matter what modifications are done. However there are some roads designated as shared use where routes are open to allow ATV riders to get gas, food, etc. For example the town of Chemult Oregon, adjacent to Diamond Lake Recreation Area, has a route allowing snowmobiles and ATVs to ride into town to gas-up at a Pilot Station, with groceries and places to eat also nearby.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:27 AM
Range Rover

There was a bill past by the state of West Virginia on a Wednesday in the month of July that stated:

All persons must have a valid drivers license to operate any motor driven vehicle on any road, marked or not.

Since WV past this law, I've seen cops following 4 wheelers but not pulling them over. I don't have a license yet so I can't ride on the road. But here in Ohio county, a few of my neighbors tell me that they've been pulled over and had checks ran on them but have never been told NOT to ride on the public roads.

I even called the local sherriffs dept. to ask about it and they said they can't comment on the matter. They said they can't tell me whether or not a licensed driver can operate an ATV on any given public and/or paved roadat any given time. I asked why and they said they're not inclined to give out that information.

So, go figure, is it legal to drive an ATV on the road or not, I'd say it is!

Old 11-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BruteForceButton

atv's are not street legal in the US. here in CA you get a big fine if they catch you!</end quote></div>

Here is a link from the ATV Safety Institute with state regulations & the states they are legal to ride on the roads..

http://www.atvsafety.org/InfoS...aryChartAugust2007.pdf

Old 11-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Range Rover

In the city of Evarts, Kentucky, where one of the main trailheads to Black Mountain Recreation Park in Harlan County KY is, there is a city ordinance that allows you to legally ride your ATV on the streets within the city limits- you just wear a helmet and obey all driving laws. That makes it great for out of towners who are lodging in town-once you unload in town, you never have to load back up until it's time to go home.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

I know its legal in Duck Creek, UT!

Old 11-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Range Rover

how's central New York? i live in the country ( 10 minute drive to get a soda) so im not sure what i can/ cannot do road wise...

any new yorkers on here? i'm new..
erick

Old 11-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

It is legal in AZ I have both of my 2004 Honda 400EX registerd for the street
Had to I live just north of Phoenix in a small comunity called Newriver we can go out to the Forest (Desert) and ride from the house but the sheriff likes to hang out and give out tickets
Also have a place in Northern AZ same issue sheriff
I also get to have Insurance on both quads and have to keep proof of such insurance
In 2009 I get to take both Quads through AZ Emissions as they are exempt for first 5 years
I will probably replace before that time comes though
Had to add
Break light foot operated
Horn
Rearview mirror
Reflective to rear
Been luckey so far only stopped once coming out of forest last winter on closed road
Did not know road closed
Sheriff was ready to give our gang tickets to Ball
I had discussion with sheriff and explained how we came to where we where from other trail that was open to ATVs
He agreed but still wanted proof of insurance and registration once he figured out we had we were good to go
But he did have other people lined up for their tickets to the Ball and was handing them out
Ride safe
Ray

Old 11-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

it is also legal to ride on the streets in Harlan, Ky. which will tie into Hatfield and McCoy in the very near future. You can ride to the grocery store or the restaurant if you want to.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Range Rover

actually, bomb, you cannot ride legally in Harlan, but you can in Evarts.

Quick Reply: are atvs street legal?