Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

PLACES NEAR CALIFORNIA / NEVADA OFF 15

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLACES NEAR CALIFORNIA / NEVADA OFF 15

Thanks man, we'll hook up in the future. You guys ride safe down there.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To find Afton, go to the top of the big hills that the dunes are on, and look to the southwest. You should be able to see the railroad tracks and bridge, which are about 10 miles away. The old Mojave Road runs from the north side of the dunes, then out into the flats, and it is marked here and there with rock cairns. If you can find it, it is your best bet for getting down to Afton. In any case, it is best to stay to the northern end of the flats, because the southern part (nearer the railroad) is kind of rocky and not that much fun. You will eventually run into Basin road, and take it south to the railroad tracks, then go west.

Another way to find Afton easily for a first timer, is just find any trail south to the railroad tracks, cross the tracks carefully (the trains go fast through here!), and ride the road on the south side of the tracks west till you come to the railroad bridge. It won't be as much fun as the fast sand riding throught the flats, but it will get you there.......

You totally confused yet???

Old 01-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Trailblazer

Where do you go when you go out to Octillio wells, Never been out that way, heard its lots of fun, but lots of rocks....Is it out by Salton Sea???
thanks, Mike

Old 01-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Red Rider

See the maps: http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1217

Rocks??? Stoddard Wells makes me think of rocks, but Ocotillo.....no way! It use to be the bottom of Lake Cahilla. It has a variety of terrain, most of which looks like the surface of the moon....lots of sand washes, a few dunes, trails through badlands, some rocks in places like Devil's Slide...but not rocky at all in general.

The place is huge! Go to the ranger station, get oneof their excellent maps, and go out and explore...that's the only way you will find out! Trails are pretty well marked in most places. We usually like to camp and stage from the "Cove" area.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:09 AM
Trailblazer

Thinking of going out Presidents weekend to stoddard wells..Wife has to work, good time for my son and I to get some riding in...Anyone else going out that weekend?

Old 02-02-2008, 06:20 AM
Red Rider

We will be at Rasor PD weekend......

Old 02-03-2008, 01:04 AM
Trailblazer

Its up the same way right, just farther down the road....I could probably do that...Have you been out there lately, I think last time you said that road can be pretty bad...I'll be coming up friday night..It would be just me and my 9 year old son...

Old 02-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Red Rider

We have had lots of rain, and that tends to improve that road. The rain settles it and then the traffic packs it out. Last time, it was the best I had seen it in many years.

If you have 4wd, it's no big deal. Lots of folks are in there with huge trailers and motorhomes. If you got stuck, usually there are lots of folks willing to help you out....

Old 02-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Trailblazer

I'm Coming from the whittier area, 60fwy & 15. How far past Barstow is it? And I have a Motor Home....254ft Winne

Old 02-04-2008, 05:14 AM
Red Rider

The Rasor exit is two exits before Baker, then ~6 miles in on the dirt road. The best tactic with a motorhome, is to always keep it moving, and use your momentum to your advantage. There is one bad silt bed, just before you get to the area where most folks camp. Hopefully it will be dry by then. The best tactic is to go around it on the east side.

It's always great fun to show someone around a new place. I will PM you with some more specific information......

Quick Reply: PLACES NEAR CALIFORNIA / NEVADA OFF 15