Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

PLACES NEAR CALIFORNIA / NEVADA OFF 15

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLACES NEAR CALIFORNIA / NEVADA OFF 15

Looking for a place to ride not to far from the Cal / Nev border off the 15, I know about Dumont, thinkin someplace closer...headed to purump, you know why and want to do some riding out that way....Any ideas people....???

Old 01-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Google "Rasor Road" and "Afton Canyon". You will come up with a bunch of stuff, including some maps.

Rasor Road is three exits before Baker. Exit to the right, and take the dirt road that goes east from the store/gas station. It will turn south after a while and end in some trees after about 6 miles in. The best riding is down near the end of the road. Some nice dunes back there! Once you get back there, just ask somebody for directions to the dunes.

Rasor also leads west over to Afton Canyon. The Mojave River flows at the surface here, so you will get wet!!!

Rasor is a BLM "open area", so you can ride anywhere there. Afton and the area west of Basin Rd., is limite use, so you have to stay on established roads and trails there. Please respect this...we don't want to get kicked out!!

These are among the few places that don't draw a huge crowd...even on a big weekend....take care of them and please don't act like an idiot!!!

Old 01-10-2008, 01:11 AM
Trailblazer

Never had that problem, I'm an Eagle scout, probably more respectfull than most I've seen or known, plus I'm just to old, seen to many places closed off because of the idiots...Can I get a motor home down that road? Its a 24ftr....Sounds like I can....I've never ridden out that way, usually at Stoddard Wells, or Calico...Love to explore...Thanks for the tip...

Old 01-10-2008, 05:53 AM
Red Rider

In the past, the road has been bad because of rain washouts (lots of deep sand in some spots). Early in the fall, it was the best I have seen it in years, but we have had a whole lot of rain since then.

I would suggest that you park the motorhome near the store, then have somebody ride down the road on a quad and check it out before you head in. Like I said, the good stuff is way in near the end of the road, and that is where most folks camp. (There is a pretty bad silt section, about a mile from the road's end. Best to take the trails along the left side there!) You do see big motorhomes back there, but sometimes I have been glad to have a 4X4 on that road....

When you going to be there??? We may be out there for MLK Day weekend (???).

Old 01-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Trailblazer

Not sure yet, But when we go I will let you know. Always like meeting new people, plus it may help in case I get stuck..LOL plus its really just safer...I'll ask the wife and see, that may be a good weekend......Thanks, Mike

Old 01-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Hey Recon, sounds like you are pretty familiar with the Rasor/Afton area and we are heading up there next weekend for the very first time. If you're going to be there and have the time a couple of Rasor rookies would like an experienced tour of the area. How close is the open area to the backside of Kelso Dunes? Drive by them every trip up to Dumont and just salivate. I know it's closed, just wondering how close you get in the open area.
I'm guessing from the satellite images that there is no need to bring the paddles...
Look forwward to hearing back from you.
Thanks
Ace

Old 01-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Red Rider

We might be there for a day ride Saturday. We have a large group going somewhere for the weekend, but so far most folks seem to be voting for Ocotillo.

I can only do a day ride Sat., because I want to be home for the Charger's game Sunday.....

Old 01-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Alright, please keep us posted. We're going regardless but would like to check out the good spots to ride and sightsee. One of the haulers with us will have satellite so we'll probably check in on the games when we have to come top off. We'll be looking forward to it.
Can you get to this Afton Canyon from the Rasor Rd campsites or do you have to trailer over there form Rasor?
Thanks again.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:29 AM
Red Rider

Most folks camp near the end of Rasor Rd. There is some great riding there! We call it the "pick and choose", because the lead rider picks the trail and everybody else tries to keep up. It is sandy trails that snake in and around the bushes. It's one of my favorite places in the whole world! Disneyland doesn't have a ride that's that much fun.

The dunes are further to the west. Just ask anyone for directions. Once you get out that way, you can't miss them.

Further to the west from the dunes, there are some great canyons to explore.

The whole place is bordered on the south by railroad tracks....so it is impossible to get lost going that way. From the dunes, if you head southwest (it's about 10 miles) you will come to a railroad bridge at the head of Afton Canyon (after crossing Basin Road). Here, the trail crosses under the railroad, and you can follow it downstream through the Mojave River drainage. This time of year, it will have water. There are a couple of deep water crossings, and the last one before the Afton campground, is often to deep for a sport quad. (The round trip to Afton and back is around 30 miles...and even the little kids ride it.)

One guy in our riding group is holding out for Rasor, so we might end up there. PM me at reconranger@adelphia.net and I can keep you posted. Would be glad to give you a tour, but there might be some slow kids along on the ride, if you don't mind.......

Old 01-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Red Rider

We are going to do Ocotillo Well and Superstition Mountain instead of Rasor. Have fun!

Quick Reply: PLACES NEAR CALIFORNIA / NEVADA OFF 15