Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Missouri Bound

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missouri Bound

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] We have a group of four. We have ridden just about every terrain in Black Hills and Wyoming. We need a new destination within 12 hours of Minneapolis. I have had my eye on Missouri down in the Ozarks. Anyone been riding in this region? What is a good 5 day spot?
2nd, are they pretty cool with ATV riders or is this a strict stay in park culture?

Old 03-24-2008, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider
Default Missouri Bound

A few places I know of in MO:

Fingerlakes- North of Columbia, MO. Lots of trails, can be wet and muddy. Camping here or lodging in Columbia.

Deepwater- south of Clinton, MO. Lots of trails along the lake. Be prepared for a lot of water and mud, especially after the rains we have had recently. RV park nearby, otherwise motels in Clinton.

Chadwick- Southeast of Springfield, MO. Some trails you can fly on but many are slower because of narrow trails, turns, trees, and rock ledges. Depending on the trail and if it's wet or not will determine if you need to use a winch to
get over some of the rocky parts. At least that has been my experience. Again, there should be plenty of mud and water because of the rains. There is a camping area in the park. Motels will be some distance away.

Gladetop- Ozark County in the Mark Twain forest. Scenic trails and not as difficult as Chadwick. Camping available. Motels in area towns.

Permits are required and can be purchased at several vendors. Someone here can fill you in better as they ride all the time.

http://ozarktrailsatv.com/index.html

Craig

Old 03-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Missouri Bound

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]Thank you for all your input Craig.
This really sounds like the place. We have been up and down every terrain and difficult area. Rocks, mud, winch, mines back country. This sounds awesome! Can we plan a four or five day trip around Chandwick?
If your looking to come to WI or MN, I am your man!

Your email would be helpful.

David

Old 03-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Range Rover
Default Missouri Bound

slickybob, where in the Black Hills would you recommend? I'm heading out there this summer for a family trip to Custer and am strongly thinking of bringing the wheeler with for maybe some rides. Thanks!!

Old 03-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!
Default Missouri Bound

Chadwick is a great place to ride and yes you can make it a 5 day ride and not ride over the same trail. But one of my favorite places in misssouri to ride is at Suttons bluff. It's got great trails which criss cross the ridges with the west fork of the black river in the bottom. they let you ride on the County roads which are gravel until you hit a trail head. You got to go in to the little town of centerville and get a permit for 1, 3 or 5 days and then your good to go. There's camping and showers in the center of the park. Flip a coin, Chadwick or Suttons bluff either one you cant go wrong!
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forest...on/sites/sutton_bluff/

Old 03-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Missouri Bound

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]This is fantastic! We have been looking for this kind of ride. This sounds like something simillar to what were used to. I have a get together with the guys tomorrow. They'll luv it!
Thank you

David

Old 03-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Missouri Bound

Uncle Fester. I have to tell you that this is a great place to stay and ride from as a central spot. Traut Haven Resort. This little resort is centralized between Custer, Custer Peak and Deadwood. I suggest staying right at thier cabins. They are reasonably priced. This is not a town. It is only 40 minutes west of Rapid City SD. Take highway 44 West to Highway 385 and go North. Look for it on your Left when you see the Sugar Shack restaurant. It cant be missed.
You can purchase your fuel from here. The ride to the Centenial trail is a five minute forest road ride North. This is where the beauty starts. The trail is definitely intermediate at the least. Once you come out of the Centenial Trail at the Trail Head, follow the forest Road into Nemo. Cross over the paved county road up the hill to the trail system on the other side of the forest. You should take the trail at the top of the ridge to the right. follow this trail until you can branch off to the right again until you come to the edge of a cliff. Great evening view for your last stop before calling it a day.
You can also head from Traut Haven West/North to Rochford. This little Bar is a great pit stop. From Traut Haven pick up a map for all the trails. You can also head North to Custer Peak. Custer Peak is a fire tower that is maned by the forest service. The Fire Tower is a good 2 - 3 hour ride from Traut Haven. Great trail ride up to the peak and even better ride up to the Tower. We have been riding out there for six years and still probably have not see it all yet. Try the ride to Johnson Siding. This trail in on the south side of Traut Haven about a half mile. It will take you all the way to the man made damn south. This can be a day ride in itself.
Here is the link for Traut Haven http://www.blackhillsattractions.com

Let me know about your trip afterwards.

Have a blast.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Range Rover
Default Missouri Bound

Thanks for all the info, problem I am going to have is finding enough time to fitting in all my riding and spending time with the fam. Should be fun. Thanks again, I'll let you know how it goes!!

Old 03-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Missouri Bound

Chadwick is great and you are not far from springfield(in case of a breakdown, has most atv dealerships) and Branson(incase some of the women get bored and want to watch a show or go shopping)

Old 03-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Trailblazer
Default Missouri Bound

I haven't been to Suttons bluff but Chadwick is great especially on utillity vehicles you can go and go and go. On the sports not as much fun as you really have to work hard with all the ledges and loose stuff you can get into. If you go to Chadwick the only place to get permits to my knowledge is Kays convience store in town about 5 minutes from the park. I believe it is $6.00 a day or $36 a year. Chadwick is very rocky so be ready for wear on yor machines, once again not so bad when on utility. Also like they said your only about 35 minutes from springfield. However Ozark is about 20 minutes and has plenty of restraunts and hotels if that is all your looking for or camp at the park. Also nobody mentioned St. Joe state park. it is old mining area similar to sand. I haven't been there either though, but will be going sometime this summer. Hope you have a great trip!

Quick Reply: Missouri Bound