Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Public Trail Ridin Age vs ATV Size

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Public Trail Ridin Age vs ATV Size

My son is 10 yrs old and 115lbs, been riding since age 5 and has outgrown his 70cc E-ton. I'm preparing to purchase him a bigger ATV. He has rode a 250 and even rode that 250 at Big Rock ATV park in Maysville, Ky. Big Rock only requires a helmet bike size doesn't matter. I've noticed most public trails like Hatfield & McCoy require the rider to be on a quad within the manufacturers age recommendation. In that case my son technically shouldn't be on anything bigger than a 70 until he's 12. His 70 can't even climb a steep hill because he's over the weight limit. How closely are these rules adhered to. We want to start traveling to different states and public parks to ride, but I don't want to drive 4+ hours to be turned away or pay a citation because his atv is too big for him. I prefer to just go on and put him on a 250 or a 125 at the least, but wanna stay legal so as not to further endanger our sport from greenies. I'm hoping other members here have some feedback based on their children and experiences. Thanks! Her's a couple of pics of him standing by and riding his quad so you all can see the size difference I'm talking about.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

As far as H-M goes, I've seen a lot of different sized and aged riders on atv's up there but you are better off to go on their site to get the specific rules, trails-heaven.com, to make sure,of course. I do understand what your saying though, had the same issue a while back. As far as public lands go, they are open to complete law enforcement, so folow the state's rules. I prefer private land myself, less conjestion, easier to maintain.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

I was at H-M last year and I saw kids my sons age on 250's. I just don't want to base my decision on the one trip I went on. Seeing someone rob a bank doesn't mean it's ok for me to do. If ya get what I'm sayin! I think at this point what I'm going to do is get him a 125cc or 150cc. At the most I'd remove the stickers if park officials questioned it and replace them with a decal kit. I guess it's not necessarily complete compliance so to speak, but those bikes are right at his size and I don't think anyone would look at him and have a problem with the stickers on much less without.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

The CPSC age/cc guidelines are OLD and OUTDATED...Today, they actually IMPEDE a youths ability to learn correct riding techniques because 95% of youth aged 6-15 do NOT properly fit on the CPSC guidlines for age/cc.

Instead, we need to go to a proper SIZE/FIT with all youth being forced to take a hands on training course when they are under the age of 18.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

Washington State has a bill in Congress now just doing that. Other states are following. Here in VA with the 4-H, we are going to start pushing for change. Two of the large safety research companies are now recommending a certain age for a certain speed and going by a "fit to ride" program where just like amuesement parks, carnivals etc. where you must be "this tall' to go on this rde. Makes sense to me. the way the laws are now, a 5' tall 14 year old has to ride a 90cc, but also a midjet ( please, no offense to anyone) at about 3' tall and 30 years old can ride a 700. Is that safe also?
I have taken my son to H-M and no problems. He was 11 and on a 125Grizzly. Fits it perfect and is well balanced on it. I would still check with them at h-m and "look" at the rules.
I have also run into the Rangers up there, very nice, just trying to keep people from going off the trails, blazing new ones.
But I do know that to ride on the highway up there (like into town for lunch or gas) all atv operators have to have a valid drivers license.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They just need to add a segment for "teens"

Say from 12-16 rather than 3-16 and 16-and-over...

It should be something like this:

Size A = riders 16 and up 400cc and above

Size B = riders 12-16 size 200cc-to-399cc

Size C = riders under 12 size under 200cc

Something along those lines would probably keep everyone happy........ well almost eveyone...... there will always be a few 14-15 year olds who are big enough and good enough to ride a 400cc and up machine....... but with machines like the new Raptor-250 out that should not be an issue any longer. An experienced 15 year old can still have fun on a modded Raptor-250 no doubt...

Old 03-29-2008, 10:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Good points! I agree with the size a, b, c's. That would really be fitting. I went and got another close up on the models at the dealer yesterday. A 90's not gonna cut it, and he'll probably outgrow (physical size) a Grizz 125 sooner than I'd prefer but I think that the Grizz is gonna be what I stick with. I'll just have to do some research before I trailer up and haul all of us several hours.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

Yes those are good points, and we as atv riders know what works and what doesn't work. Politicians don't, that's whay they need to know.
The Grizzly has been a good solid bike now for about three years. Lot's of low end grunt and is very stable. Not a lot of aftermarket accessories or performance mods for it. It was formally called the "Breeze".