Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield-McCoy Trails

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider
Has ridden Rockhouse and Bearwallow trails.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatfield-McCoy Trails

As for the tire's, mud tire's are not required you can stay away from the deep stuff if you want too.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, thats a good help.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

A group of us are going to these trails the end of march and we are coming all the way from Maine!!!! over 1000 miles! Can't wait intil we get there! One of the persons in our group will need to rent a wheeler... does any one know where the best place to do this would be? We would like to get the biggest cc machine we can because I have the smallest wheeler in the group and thats a 700 Grizz! Any help would be great

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry can't help you with the rental, I just wanted to say that I am jealous that I have to wait another 3 months before I get to go. Make sure you let us know how the trip goes.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

I will let you know how it all goes! I ride with a group of guys that like to go all over to ride but this is the furthest we have gone! Some of the best ridding was in Canada in the winter, groomed snow trails to ride and what a blast! We have been there 3 years in a row but this year we wanted to go some place different! I think it will be as fun !

Old 02-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Range Rover

No you definitely don't need to spend money on mud tires. Thats the good thing about the Hatfield McCoy trail system, most of the trails are in pretty good-groomed shape. Now for the locals trails that's a different story. I went down a couple years ago with a Prairie 650 with monster mudder's on it and couldn't even get into the mud holes. Most of the local holes are deep enough to swallow a stock quad. We always rent a house, but I would like to try out the campground your talking about this year. Most of the guys in our group don't want to risk camping out. Some of the years we went down it poured every day, we felt sorry for those guys in the tents, they looked pretty miserable. At least if you have a good warm place to sleep at night it doesn't matter if the weather sucks. But it would be great to have the option of camping out. I think this year we will rent a house for the first 3 nights and if the weather permits stay a couple extra days at the campground. There's no need to worry about carrying fuel either. I've ridden everything from 4 strokes, to banshee's, to my gas guzzling, small tank, YZ 426 and have never had any problems with fuel.

Good Luck and have a good trip!
Dennis

Old 02-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks Dennis,

Great info. This will be our 4th ATV trip with the group and so far we have never had rain issues, but we have always been in Upper Michigan or Ontario, Canada. As long as its just rain and not storming/blowing our 10x10 does pretty well to provide some shelter.

I am praying for a dry May in WV this year!! Maybe a little rain to keep the dust down[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Trailblazer

Happy Trails Rentals are a good place to rent an ATV. You can more information on Happy Trails at www.trailsheaven.com

Old 03-23-2009, 11:35 PM
Range Rover

Guys,

Nice, informative thread. I still have a couple questions, though. Are you stating that Twin Hollow has nice cabins that you can rent and then ride right from the cabin? Which trail system is that and is it kid quad friendly (Lt80's, obviously)? Can you ride into town and get gas and food from the kid-friendly trails on that system?

My family are looking to get out a lot this season and would love to hit H/M, but I don't want to go in blind, I'd rather go in knowing what to expect and have a great time!

Thanks!

Old 03-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know if there is an age limit.

Twin hollow does have cabins as well as tent /RV sights. It is connected to the Browning Fork trails (over 100 miles of trails). Located near Gilbert, WV.. You can ride into town (10 min) from camp ground for gas and food. Twin Hollow has a website, just google twin hollow camp ground.

The trail is also connected to Mann, WV. that is also ATV friendly.

Quick Reply: Hatfield-McCoy Trails