Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Wildlife officers can be crooks and peckerheads

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wildlife officers can be crooks and peckerheads

I went to Uwharrie Forest in NC to ride atvs this weekend to ride. With the advice from a park ranger I used his directions and went back to the parking lot. When I arrived at the parking lot I was surprised to see three barney fife wanta be cops (wildlife officers) waiting on me and my 2 riding buddies at the parking lot. Well, we seen the officers there but we didn't think anything about it. A few minutes later they came to us and asked us give us our licence and said we were riding on a state road and started in on us like we were kids. they left and when they returned they again started in on us. We politely disagreed and tried to show them why we came up the less than 1/10th mile gravel drive. We came to an intersection of the trail and the road. At this intersection the trail sign had an arrow pointing to the right. So naturally, we went to the right. There was another trail that followed the gravel drive for a short distance so it seemed kinda normal I guess. I soon found out how wrong I was. The rent a cop wanta be woman who was on her throne would have nothing to do with our rebuddle and would not walk down the driveway to even confirm the truth about the sign. I know all wildlife officers are not like these three were. I think we were set up. When she walked away I clearly heard her say.. " That's three more, gonna be a good day!" It's a $100 fine. Lawyers are 250+. Or the 2 or more days of work missed is even more costly. They know you will just pay the ticket. I guess the moral of this lesson is, just because a road sign and a park ranger says turn right doesn't mean turn right. It means go straight.... Atleast at Uwharrie Natonal Forest. I will do my best to make sure that everyone above her knows how we were treated. It may waste my breath but I am gonna do my best to make her life hell!!!! She said we could argue in court. I looked at my ticket and she did not give a court date. I went back and found one of the officers and asked and he said the only way to get a court date is to not pay and I will be ordered to court. Yea right! Then how much trouble would I be in? I told him to tell the lady who gave me the ticket that there would be a stink and I felt harassed. I know I'm wasting my time but I will make her think twice before she opens her check book to write another ticket to someone who may not deserve to be treated the way she treated us.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I'm not from that state ....Can you post what the ticket was for?
Thanks.........Caper.........

Old 04-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

It was for operating an OHV on a state road.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default wildlife officers at Uwharrie forest NC

I went to Uwharrie Forest in NC to ride atvs this weekend to ride. With the advice from a park ranger I used his directions and went back to the parking lot. When I arrived at the parking lot I was surprised to see three barney fife wanta be cops (wildlife officers) waiting on me and my 2 riding buddies at the parking lot. Well, we seen the officers there but we didn't think anything about it. A few minutes later they came to us and asked us give us our licence and said we were riding on a state road and started in on us like we were kids. they left and when they returned they again started in on us. We politely disagreed and tried to show them why we came up the less than 1/10th mile gravel drive. We came to an intersection of the trail and the road. At this intersection the trail sign had an arrow pointing to the right. So naturally, we went to the right. There was another trail that followed the gravel drive for a short distance so it seemed kinda normal I guess. I soon found out how wrong I was. The rent a cop wanta be woman who was on her throne would have nothing to do with our rebuddle and would not walk down the driveway to even confirm the truth about the sign. I know all wildlife officers are not like these three were. I think we were set up. When she walked away I clearly heard her say.. " That's three more, gonna be a good day!" It's a $100 fine. Lawyers are 250+. Or the 2 or more days of work missed is even more costly. They know you will just pay the ticket. I guess the moral of this lesson is, just because a road sign and a park ranger says turn right doesn't mean turn right. It means go straight.... Atleast at Uwharrie Natonal Forest. I will do my best to make sure that everyone above her knows how we were treated. It may waste my breath but I am gonna do my best to make her life hell!!!! She said we could argue in court. I looked at my ticket and she did not give a court date. I went back and found one of the officers and asked and he said the only way to get a court date is to not pay and I will be ordered to court. Yea right! Then how much trouble would I be in? I told him to tell the lady who gave me the ticket that there would be a stink and I felt harassed. I know I'm wasting my time but I will make her think twice before she opens her check book to write another ticket to someone who may not deserve to be treated the way she treated us.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

fight it. fight it to hell! thats horse **** that they just left it go. you could at least tell in court you were directed that way by the park ranger.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!

Sounds like they put the sign and arrow there.....Caper............

Old 04-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

Did you go back and take a picture of the sign? That may help if you are going to fight this.

Trending Topics

Old 04-19-2009, 09:43 PM
ng
Trailblazer

I don't know about you guys but I wonder why we have to pay the road tax for gas and get tickets for riding a gravel road? Good luck with your uphill battle,it's wrong but they see it as easy revenue,the tickets for riding on WMA land in Tn. are $25 but the court cost is $225 to $250, with no way of getting out of paying the court cost..

Old 04-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Trailblazer
Default uwharrie

I live near there and have been there once. Yes, they are very strict about the gravel roads and atvs. I see what they are there for but its a shame the way they went about things in your situation. Yet I do recall when I was there people riding atvs without helmets.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

It is just a racket to extort money from you to keep their department funded!

Quick Reply: Wildlife officers can be crooks and peckerheads