Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

hatfield and mccoy First trip ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hatfield and mccoy First trip ideas

Going to be making first trip to hatfield and mccoy. It will be 3 days riding trip with about 5-8 guys riding. What areas are best? Where should we stay kind of liked the video on youtube on rockhouse lodge. We also might like a place with a kitchen and grill. Trip looks like late september time frame. Any ideas would be helpfull if you have been before.

Thanks
Duane

Old 05-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't been there yet, but the plans are made for September. The week after Labor Day. Our group will include my son and his wife, and her parents. We have a 3 bedroom "Trailhouse" reserved at Browning Fork Trailhouse. It looks like a great place, and is right on Rockhouse Trail System in Gilbert WV. Check it out.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was looking at the rockhouse trail system. Gilbert was one of the towns that was hit hard this weekend by heavy storms and floods. I think the gov got national guard to go there.

Duane

Old 05-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

Gilbert got hit hard. We leave on Sunday for a week of riding. We are camping at Twin Hollow camp ground.

HM headquarters said the trails are still open. Our campground is still above water as well. Look forward to vacation. Was worried I was going to have to cancel.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

Twin Hollow just called me and said all the rockhouse trails are open. Told us to bring gas cans b/c they weren't sure if Gilbert was going to let ATV's into town yet. They said Man is just fine.

Looks like vacation is still a go.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:44 AM
Range Rover
Scared to death of girls!

Make sure you bring your camera, it is beautiful down there. We went a couple of years ago to Rockhouse. They had just run the dozer over all the trails and they were pretty good. I wanna say it was sometime in June. After a couple months of heavy traffic on the trails, they get pretty beat up. If you've never ridden in the mountains, or on the rocks, it is different for a first timer. be careful...

We didnt stay at twin hollow, but did ride around checking it out. Looks like a great place to stay. Nice view of the valley below from the cabins. I believe one of the roads up to it is pretty steep, not sure if you asked about that when you booked, but you might want to. We're supposed to get a little rain in the next couple of days, and that will help knock down the dust if it does. Otherwise, the dust can be brutal. The maps are good and the trails are marked well.

Gilbert is closer to Twin Hollow, but if it's closed off, Man is a good place to get gas and food. They have a supermarket, gas station, auto parts and a couple of fast food restaurants that you can drive your atv to.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:02 AM
Pro Rider

Great info, thanks. Will be taking a camera for sure.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice I would definantly would like to see some photos!! I'm livin the atv dream through your guys pics!! (Till I can do it myself!!!)

Old 05-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Trailblazer

wow, yes the wife and I are planning on a hatfield trip next year. I cant wait!!!