Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Eastern Upper Pennisula, Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2001, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I and another couple have rented a cottage on Drummond Island in the Eastern Upper Peninsula, MI in June. We plan on bringing the atvs for some riding. I have been looking at the MI DNR website, and it appears that all of the good trails in the Eastern UP are labeled motorcycle. Has anyone rode atvs in this area of the UP and what are the best places to ride atvs? I was also wondering why the two atv trails in this area only have about 17 miles of trails while the motorcycle trails have over hundreds? Any information about riding in this area would be appreciated.

Old 02-17-2001, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Magnum!
A lot of the two tracks on federal land are open to riding. I think Drummond Island itself has a bunch of good trails, if memory serves they have even held Jeep Jamborees there. Also several counties are supposedly ATV friendly, allowing you to ride on the far right of the road on secondary roads. The county I've heard specifically mentioned were Luce & Champion. There is also a hotel owner around Newberry that held a poker run last year and seems quite knowledgable about riding up there. I can dredge up his e-mail address if you want.
We're planning on going up for a week sometime early summer also. We camp though. Not sure if we're gonna stay at a fancy campground or tank up with water and try a little "rustic" camping! The thought of taking off on the quads right from the campsite sounds so cool though!!!

Old 02-18-2001, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

oneeye

Thanks for the info. My buddy is going to contact the DNR up in the UP on Monday and get some more information. We also generally camp when we are riding at Wayne National Forest. My buddies wife isn't one to rough it, so we agreed on a vacation with a cottage that has all of the luxuries. This cottage is supposed to have a hot tub, so I plan on riding all day and soaking all night. Now that sounds like a vacation!! Are you still planning on going to Silver Lake in May? We still plan on being there. Ride Safe.