Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Wolf Pen Gap

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-1999, 10:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, this weekend I took a little trip. I made the drive from Lafayette to Texarkana on Friday and then up to Mena, Arkansas on Saturday morning. I was truley impressed by the senic views from Wolf Pen Gap.

The trails were mostly wide, rocky, roads with steep drops on the sides. The streams that you cross are clear with a hard rock bottom. The trails are clearly marked as to the difficulty and skills needed to pass.

They are divided up into easy, gravel road. More difficult, some climbs and decents. And difficult, steep twisty trails with equally as steep and twisty decents. The trails that are marked for the most experienced riders, in my opinion, can be mastered by someone who is "competent" on a quad.

The only disappointment that I encountered was a lack of mud. This trail would be perfect for Gordon, who likes/loves rock-hopping. As for me, I missed the mud. Also, I guess the mountain did not like Vampire tires. I found four lugs on the tires that have about one half inch "plugs" cut out of them. It does give them a unique look though.

------------------
Shane

'97 Honda 300 4X - Vamped, Locked, & Lifted

[This message has been edited by Shane West (edited 07-18-1999).]

Old 07-18-1999, 11:48 PM
Trailblazer

I used to ride dirtbike there all the time. would like to back for a ride there pretty soon it has been a long time. i like the trail number 2 it was the trail that was the main loop and all other trails led off of it. talk to ya later, hope ya had a great time there despite your unique tire tread now

------------------
97,98 Forman 400

Old 07-20-1999, 03:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Shane, We always go to Wolf Pen for Spring Break, (late March/early April) and Halloween. Spring time riding will have more mud and more water in the creeks, but I have only seen a couple 'mud holes', and these could be easily ridden by two wheel drive quads. You do benefit from less dust on the trails, and some of the creeks can be challenging to cross with a lot of fast flowing water. In fact one year it stormed so bad the night before, that we couldn't cross any creeks until late the next afternoon. They were too deep and too fast to safely get across.

Also, I hope you were able to find info about the possible closure of Wolf Pen within the next two years due to excessive erosion. The forest service will do another water sample in two years, and if it hasn't cleared up, they will close the entire area to off road vehicle use. They have gotten very strict about trying to enforce two main rules: 1. No riding in creeks except to cross at designated trail crossings, and 2. Stay on marked trails only.

Glad you enjoyed the ride. It's a great place to camp and ride.

Old 07-23-1999, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

Shane,
I know the feeling about Wolf Pen Gap.. My girlfriend and I loved the drive up, the trail riding, but only found one mudhole the entire time we were there.. about 15 feet across, with a rock bottom. But the trails were fun to ride on, I think my g/f burnt about 4 rolls of film on scenic views and deer....
As for closings, I've heard that Albert Pike and Little Missouri(sp???) Falls has already been closed as of two weeks ago. I would hate it if W.P.G. gets closed also.
Don't feel bad about the tires, my swampers have those same curious chunks taken out of them...

Old 07-23-1999, 12:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, I hate to see any closures. All of the people that I met up there were super nice and very curteious (bad spelling).

While riding, I don't think that I noticed anyone misbehaving. All of the people were sticking to the trails and believe it or not, not riding in the creeks.

Do you ride in the river bottoms?? I have in-laws that live in Texarkana and would love to make a trip to the area one day. Kyle told me to give them a yell when I was down that way.

------------------
Shane

'97 Honda 300 4X - Vamped, Locked, & Lifted

Old 07-23-1999, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

Shane,
Yeah, thats my stompin' ground... I have been to alot of mudruns, but I honestly don't think the mudholes there are as bad as they get at the river bottoms after the river has flooded her banks then receeded.
I'm talkin BOTTOMLESS, you can be a half mile from the riverbank and lose your machine in a mudhole surrounded by dry ground. Whether or not its quicksand, or whatever... it has NO bottom....
You're more than welcome to come over, out, up.. and ride with us.. Just holler and we'll see how many we can get together.