Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Mena / Wolf Pen Gap

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 01:33 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mena / Wolf Pen Gap

The weather should start warming in the next few weeks. Is anyone planning a trip to Mena / Wolf Pen Gap? We are really looking forward to it. Probably make our first trip of the year in March and take some warm clothes. I think we made our first trip last year in April and didn't take enough warm clothes. Had to burn logs in the fireplace every night at Sugar Creek Lodge. Love that place.

We had a beautiful day for riding here in east Texas last weekend. Of course the day didn't start off very good with a very loud explosion. We went out and rode in the forest for about 6 hours or until dark. Kept looking in the trees and all around for anything that may have fallen from the sky. Really sad.

Ted

Old 02-12-2003, 02:47 PM
Trailblazer

Dusty...thinking about going up to Mena sometime soon....Sugar Creek Lodge is a real nice place...stayed there 3 times last year....also a good place to ride and its a little closer is up at Beaver's Bend in Ok. lots of trails on Weyerhaeuser land. Holler at me....might can get away and go...

Old 02-12-2003, 11:05 PM
Range Rover

Canoeman23,

Sure will hollar at you. We also stayed at Sugar Creek three times last year. Love it. We usually go up with another couple. We all ride utility ATV's. That way we can go just about anywhere and ride just about any way we want. We usually go up on a Thursday morning and ride Thursday afternoon, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning. Come home Sunday afternoon.

Where is Beaver Bend? Any good facilities for overnighting around Beaver Bend? I would be happy with a sleeping bag and a campfire, but our wives kinda frown on that. It has taken us a lot of miles to learn wolf pen and surrounding areas. Is Beaver Bend that hard to learn?

Ted

Old 02-14-2003, 09:37 AM
Trailblazer

Beavers Bend is in the southern part of Oklahoma, straight up highway 259...there are a lot of places to stay there, the one we use is the Whip-poor-will (580-494-6476). Its right off 259...can"t miss it...holler at me when ur going....I am just waiting on a nice day...then I am gone.

Old 02-14-2003, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yall let me know when you get some dates, if yal can stand an Okie!

Old 02-14-2003, 11:06 AM
Trailblazer

man....don't know if I could hang with a pro rider....I am just a slow ridin, stop sometimes and take a sip of beer type rider..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2003, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

Are you guys referring to Faye's cabins at Sugar Creek? We stayed in one of Les' cabins on Sugar Creek(ATVcabins.com). Is there a website or phone number for the Lodge? I'd love to go back to that area.
Beautiful place to ride, but we had to travel down miles of gravel roads to get to any trails. If you guys set a date, I'll pack up the wife and join in on the fun. Let us know!

Trending Topics

Old 02-14-2003, 11:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

dusty, the ATV club im in is going to wolf pen march 7-9, heard that he camp ground is already filling up, must be a good place to ride.
Mike Baldwin
97 polaris 500
memphis tn

Old 02-16-2003, 01:11 AM
Range Rover

Mikie,

We will probably go sometime in March. Don't have a date yet. Will probably go to Kisatchee in Louisiana first because that is just a day trip. Then I want to try Beaver Bend in Oklahoma that Canoeman mentioned. That can be a weekend trip. When we go to Wolf Pen, we usually try to make that a four day trip. I would guess we will get to Wolf Pen near the end of March. If we could have some decent weekend weather soon, we could get some of the other trips out the way and be ready for Wolf Pen. Yes, it is a great place to ride. If you haven't been, let me give you some advice. Take a GPS with some good mapping software. If you will be there over the weekend, plan on riding outside of Wolf Pen proper. Wolf Pen Gap proper gets pretty crowded on weekends, but some people believe the best riding is outside the park. I agree with them. Take goggles and large bandanas to protect your eyes and lungs from the dust. Lots of ATV's make lots of dust. Take extra fuel. There isn't a good place to buy gas close to Wolf Pen.

Enjoy

Ted

Old 02-16-2003, 01:22 AM
Range Rover

Canoeman,

You mentioned the Whipper Will in Broken Bow when you go to Beaver Bend. Couldn't find any information about them on the net. Found a lot of lodgeing around Beaver Bend running from $50.00 per night to $175.00 per night. How do the Whipper Will rates run?

Can you ride your atv from the Whipper Will to the trails or do you have to trailer your ATV's?

I understand the trails are not actually in the Beaver Bend park, but on the Weyerhauser timber property. Are the trails marked in any way like they are at Wolf Pen or is it just pot luck?

I also understand you have to buy a $25.00 out of state riding permit. Is that for a day ride or for a year? Where do you buy the riding permit? Do your need any special papers like registration when you buy the permits?

Ted

Quick Reply: Mena / Wolf Pen Gap