Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

tour de forest

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-1999, 01:43 PM
jim
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone going to the tour de forest in PA on oct 9-10? Is the trail nice? Would have the last one been enjoyable is not for the dust I heard about? I've never been there. How many quads? Thanks
Jim Maloney 98 400 Scrambler

Old 08-21-1999, 01:59 AM
Range Rover

I am going there this year with about a dozen of my buddies and wives, they have rode the trail but I never have. They always say it is such a blast so I am there with bells on!!!!!!
Drop me an email.

Chuck '99 Scrambler

Old 08-21-1999, 02:40 PM
mik
Weekend Warrior

Where is this tour de forest???

Old 08-21-1999, 06:26 PM
Trailblazer

I believe that the Tour De Forrest is in Marienville Pennsylvania and they ride the Marienville ATV trail in the Allegheny National Forest. I've never rode the Tour De Forest, but my buddy and I have rode the Marienville and Timberline ATV trails up there once. The trails are pretty nice, nothing real tough, and they go on for miles. It was pretty dusty when we were up there last summer, but we still enjoyed the trails.

------------------
Brian Kimmel - 97 Timberwolf

Old 08-24-1999, 08:18 PM
Trailblazer

The Tour-de-Forest is a two-day ride event based in Marienville, PA. Take I-80 to exit 9, then travel north on Rt.66- can't miss it. This ride does NOT utilize the Marienville or Timberline trail systems. It consists of three interlocking loops. Each loop is about 20 miles long and are mainly country roads- very few trails. Sponsors offer a pancake breakfast, a lunch/coffee break area on the trail and a pig roast. The autumn event also includes an ATV Rodeo. The obstacle course, pull-off competition and mudbogg are open for anyone who wants to participate or spectate.
Due to a sharp increase in attendance, all riders must be pre-registered. Cost is $15 for one day and $25 for two days. For information or registration call (814)927-6609 or 800-610-6611 or visit www.allegheny-online.com. I have scanned my registration form & I'll be happy to e-mail anyone who wants one. Just respond to this thread.
Tour-de-forest side notes...
All quads must be registered with some state- not necessarily PA. You must stay only on designated trails. The posted speed limit for the event is 25mph. Riding in the town of Marienville is permitted, but riders must abide by all traffic laws.
In Forest County there are no traffic lights, four-lane highways, radio stations or newspapers. There are a few taverns, motels, shops and the unsurpassed beauty of the Allegheny National Forest in it's autumn splendor. "THIS IS NOT A RACE" is the rule of the day. The light atmosphere and relaxed pace makes for a great outing for friends and families.

Old 08-27-1999, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

It's too bad they they are scheduling this right during archery season. I know of lots of bowhunters who won't like that. I'm not sure of their route, but it looks like it cuts across the CC road from Keletteville to Roses which gets lots of archery hunters. I know we are not happy about the timing of it. It runs about a mile from where we will be hunting. It seems that someone is not using common sense here. Even the Forst Service closes the trails the week before archery starts. It would seem a lot smarter to have the archers on our side than to get them upset. I've heard that some of the routes are over actual roads and not thru trails in the woods. I certanly hope that is the case.

Does anyone have information about the route they will be running?

<A HREF="http://www.godigital-design.com/schultzmotorsports">Schultz Motorsports</A>

Old 08-27-1999, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is archery hunting permitted on Sunday in PA?

As for the Saturday Tour de Forest activity, I doubt the ATV's and dirt bikes (up to 125 cc displacement) would be any more disruptive to hunting than the normal traffic usually found over the logging roads open to ATV's for this event only.

Excellent maps of the Tour de Forest routes are available from the sources in Doug Blackburn's post above.

If the Tour de Forest DOES cause wildlife to change its movement patterns, the ATV's may drive the deer right up to the hunters' stands!

There may be reasons to criticize the Tour de Forest; disrupting hunting seems not likely one of them. I doubt the woods-wise citizens of the Marienville area would support anything compromising this popular pastime.

Tree Farmer

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 08-27-1999).]

Old 08-28-1999, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

JIM - It is obvious that you don't archery hunt or are a property owner in the Marienville area like some of us. The question I am asking is that if the activity does go thru the woods it difinitely will be distruptive. The maps shown are poor at best. I'm not criticizing the tour de Forest, just the timing of it. Let them run it on Sunday only, that's fine with us.

I am one of your so-called woods-wise citizens of Marienville and a property owner there, and it is more than just a pastime to many.

This type of attitude is about what I expected from you. Very little disregard for others who use the same areas and have been for a lot longer than atv's have been using them.

<A HREF="http://www.godigital-design.com/schultzmotorsports">Schultz Motorsports</A>

Old 08-29-1999, 05:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jack S said:

"It is obvious that you don't archery hunt or are a property owner in the Marienville area like some of us."

Obvious I don't "archery hunt?" While irrelevant to my post; in point of fact I am a bowhunter. You're half right; I don't own property in the Marienville area as you do.

Neither issue is relevant to my post. If you think one day of ATV traffic, instead of the usual log trucks and automobiles, on the Tour de Forest routes disrupts your hunting, I suggest you contact the Marienville Volunteer Fire Company (Doug posted their number above), the USDA Forest Service Allegheny National Forest Headquarters, and the Collins Pine Company (814) 837-6941. If you explain to the organizers and landowners, "It seems that someone is not using common sense here," surely your concerns will be taken into account scheduling future Tours de Forest.

You say, "This type of attitude is about what I expected from you." Likewise, Jack; welcome back to the ATV Connection Forum!

Also, "Very little disregard for others who use the same areas and have been for a lot longer than atv's have been using them." I hope so! My goal is NO "disregard" for others. I certainly don't want to be a party to spoiling your hunting season.

Good hunting!

Tree Farmer

P.S. Since you're in the area anyway, why not ride Sunday's Tour de Forest yourself?

T.F.

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 08-29-1999).]

Old 08-30-1999, 01:19 PM
jim
Pro Rider

Jack - You wrote "JIM - It is obvious that you don't archery hunt ..." I think you meant to direct this message to "Tree Farmer" & not me. I was the guy who only posted the original message just because I have never been there & was just curious about it that's all. I don't think I'm going anyway because I talked to a guy up at the Timberline trail this weeked who went to the event last year & he said it was mostly road riding & very little trail riding. If that's the case, then I think I'll skip this one unless I learn differently. By the way I loved the Timberline trail & I am going back up to the camp this weekend to do it again but this time I'm going to try to make it to Marienville. I heard there is a place to stop & eat there. I guess I'll see.
Later
Jim Maloney 98 400 Scrambler

Quick Reply: tour de forest