Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

St. Joe State Park - S.E. Missouri

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2001, 05:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could anyone familiar with the St. Joe State Park riding area give directions to the park and suggestions regarding good riding areas. I will be traveling from Springfield Missouri. Thanks

Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4
Yamaha WR400

Old 02-22-2001, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

Hello. I am glad to see that St. Joe is attracting new riders.
I don't know which way is the best, but here's how if you're coming from St. Louis. From StL. take 55 south to 67 South, I believe it is exit 174). 67 South approx. 30 miles to Farmington, Doe Run exit. Make a right turn, go approx. 1/2 mile make another right(Will be a large sign with St. Joe direction). Go maybe 1/2 mile, turn left on Pimville Rd. Follow Pimville maybe 5 miles, will see signs along way for distance to OHV area. Will have to turn right on blacktop road at OHV entrance. All you can see at this time is the entrance building. You must buy permits here, costing $2 per rider. After you get permits, you will follow this road another mile or so, & you will see a sand flat ahead. At this time, make a left turn and follow 100 yards to parking lot. Then unload and have a blast.
You could also come through the town Park Hills. It might would save you 5-10 minutes, but I'm not as sure of those roads. All I can tell you about this way is to take the Park Hills exit that also is the way to Mineral Area College. (I'm not sure if there is just one or if there are two Park Hills exits, although I think just one.) If you exit here, make a right. To make sure you are on the correct road, there will be a small shopping plaza on the right with a Krogers? and I think a Hardees. Continue straight through the stoplight as the road will become divided highway. Follow this (guessing) 3-4 miles. There will be a small, note small, sign showing St. Joe to the left. You will turn left just before an old set of railroad tracks. Caution, there is also a road on the far side of the tracks--wrong way.
After turning left, you will be on Pimville Rd. Follow few miles, entrance will be on left. See above for description.
If you take 44 north to highway 8, it will take you to Park Hills. I'm not sure where in Park Hills that it takes you. Just about anyone in town will be able to give you directions as it is probably the most sought out tourist attraction in this town.
I hope this info helps you. If you need to know more, I'll check back here, or you can e-mail me. I have a 98 white/blue banshee, 1992 Ford Ranger (red/silver), white 5x7 trailer. If you see me come say hi. If you get a chance, let me know when you'll be there.

Good luck.

Daren420

P.S. Concerning riding suggestions, the sand flats wrap around the park. On the outside of the sand flats are lots of trails, and there are lots of trail in the center of park. It is easy to find what you are looking for. The wider trails are generally more forgiving. Some trails have bad ruts and some have rocks. Hillclimbs are in the woods, but you have to look hard to find them. When you leave the parking lot, I suggest for trail riding, that you turn to the right. Follow sand around outside edge (look for the swimming lake-parking lot). You will see some trails up ahead and to the right. There are some good easy riding trails, and some tougher ones. If you want to find the camping area, make a left from the parking lot. Once again, follow sand along parking lot side. You will find a cove of sand that spreads to the left, and there is a sign that will point you up the trail to the campground. There are a few lakes to see, although small and not really pretty. But anyways, I hope you get this info and that it helps you out.
Last thing, you must have a flag on every atv. No flags required on dirt bikes. Flags are available at the entrance building for $12 or so.
They don't have any parts, no plugs or anything, so make sure you have all you need.

Old 02-22-2001, 07:25 PM
Range Rover

Great reply!!! I was gonna add anything that you may have forgotten but you pretty much summed it all up.

Old 02-22-2001, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

Hope to see you guys at St. Joe when it gets nice outside.

Later,

Daren420

Old 02-24-2001, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

how big is this park? how many miles of trails? are the trails fairly wide? would i have any problems on a DS650? my buddies banshee is also 50 inches, thats why i asked.we like the wide bikes.is it a pretty clean park?how does it compare to TURKEY BAY,if any of you have been to TURKEY BAY.

Old 02-27-2001, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

The park itself is relatively small, about 1500 sq. acres I believe. Your DS should be OK on most of the trails, but it does get tight at times.

Old 02-27-2001, 07:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. I will try to make the trip soon. I am guessing that due to the sand, St. Joe is not as sensitive to rains as Deepwater or Finger lakes. - See on the dunes.

Polaris Scrambler 500
Yamaha WR400