Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Riding in Moab, Utah area

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2001, 11:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HELP!!!! About 6 of us are going to the Moab, Utah area to camp & ride this coming June. We will be there for about 8-10 days. We all have RVs and ATVs (Polaris). We have never been there before and would really appreciate any information about camping and riding areas. We perfer to camp in the "boonies" rather than regular campgrounds, however regular campgrounds are ok too. We have sent off for maps and info but everything we have received has mostlt been for jeeps, trucks, bicycles, hiking and rafting. Also does anyone know if you can ride ATVs on paved public roads in the Moab area?? Believe it not not, I called the Moab police department and the person I talked to said "GEE, I'DON'T KNOW". Any infformation you could give us would be apprecated.
Thank you
Roger Rivers.....Good Times ATV Club
e-mail...Rdr0447@aol.com
phone 509-226-3968
Newman Lake, Washington (near Spokane, Washington)

Old 02-25-2001, 11:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have ridden the Moab area on dual sport bikes it is a great area for licenced bikes. I would not recomend it for ATV's. Take a look at Piaute ATV trail near Fillmore Ut. 250 mile loop with gas & food stops along the way plenty of camping. good luck / enjoy!

Old 02-25-2001, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

Mudslinger,

If you consider the Paiute Trail then I would suggest you start out around Richfield Utah.

But, Filmore does have its Jamboree in June.

Check out http://www.rockymtn-atvjam.org/ for some info on what the rides are like out of the Richfield area for the Paiute trail system.
If it is some dunes your looking for, then check out the Little Sahara State Park at Jericho, Ut.

Check out my website below, it will show you some pics of the sand dunes, trail rides on the paiute and some other areas between Kamas, Ut and Evanston, Wy. Email me with any questions or help you may need.

Old 02-26-2001, 12:57 AM
Air
Pro Rider

Here is the Fillmore ATV Jamboree site
National ATV Jamboree

Old 02-27-2001, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

mudslinger,
moab is a great place to ride on ATV's although in June it probably will be a tad warm by then. Most people that go to Moab go in the spring or fall. summer is too hot!!!! For the june riding the Piaute trail would be nice.

Old 03-11-2001, 07:25 PM
Trailblazer

Mudslinger-
I spent a week in Moab last year, and had so much fun I am going back for another week at the end of April. I'll be taking my camper and 3 quads. I like to be off in the boonies myself, and I have a really good place for you to camp.
I would highly recommend going to a bookstore and buying a Trails Illustrated "Mountain biking,hiking, and 4wd" Map. I bought a number of maps last year, and this is really the only one that I needed, and by far the easiest to read. They all show basically the same trails, it's just a matter of how easy it is to read. It shows all the trails within like 100 square miles, and lists whether they are easy, medium, or hard. Easy trails are basically dirt roads, and the hard ones that I experienced are simply not possible in some spots on a atv.
Last year I camped off of the Gemini Bridges trail, which is north of moab, just west of Arches National Park. There is a gravel parking lot just south of Highway 313 that is the entrance to the trail. There are many campsites along this trail in the valley. Once you leave the parking lot, you go up a steep climb that is a blast on a atv, but I don't think I'll be able to pull my camper up it. I will probably have to take Hwy 313 west, to the backside of Gemini Bridges trail, and take the long and scenic route to the camping areas. I know last year I saw a camper in there, but I also remember saying to myself that that person must be an idiot if he pulled that thing up the hill outside the parking lot. This year I will park in the parking lot as soon as we get there and ride the atv's up the canyon to scout out whether I can get the camper up the hill, and stake out a campsite.
I will let you know when I get back from Moab how easy it was to get the camper back in there.

If you have a map handy, the area that has the campsites is at approximately 109 degrees 40' East, 38 degrees, 37' North. This is BLM land, so there are no fees or anything. There were some sites that the BLM had placed signs saying "campground closed" or something to that affect, but there were dozens of other areas that were still open. I think that they close off sites and trails that people have made on their own, but allow the sites that are existing to be used. June is kind of late for Moab, since (I hear) it gets so hot there, so you should have the pick of the litter for campsites.

To answer your other questions: No you can't ride atv's on the streets. I know I read somewhere that you couldn't, and I certainly didn't see anyone riding them on streets when I was there.
All the trails, whether they are listed as a hiking, 4wd, or biking trail, are open to and ridable by atv's. The exception that I ran into was the Slickrock trail, the holy shrine of all mountainbiking. I asked the park rangers at the entrance, and they HIGHLY recommended against me trying the trail on my atv, but they said it was technically allowed. There are some areas that are just too technical for a atv to safely navigate. It is popular with trials motorcyclists as well as mountain bikers. I rode the 2 mile "practice loop", and at one point my partner and I had to both hang off the side as a counterweight to navigate a section. It is actually kinda boring on a atv after a few minutes since it is all simply rock. You also might as well take a belt sander to your tires, that slickrock is basically sandpaper.
There is more than enough great atv riding to keep you occupied for a week in the gemini bridges area. This time around I will go check out the "monitor and merrimac" trail just north of gemini bridges 5 miles or so.
Be aware, no atv or even mountain bikes are allowed in arches national park.
If you'd like, I'd be happy to mail you a photocopy of my trails illustrated map with notes on where I rode last year.

Scott Tafoya
scotttafoya@home.com

Old 03-11-2001, 07:35 PM
Trailblazer

Here is a link for the exact map that I am talking about:

http://www.trailsillustrated.com/acb...ID=147&CATID=8

Scott tafoya

Old 03-14-2001, 07:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I love Moab, so does the rest of the world and they all show up in mass with their mountian bikes. June is HOT!!! Go in March or late September. If you want to go to ATV trail paradise go to the Paiute ATV trail in Marysvale. Lots of details at www.marysvale.org, you can ride on the streets of most of the towns attached to the trail and I challenge you to cover it in a week.

It is straight west of Moab, near where I-15 and I-70 intersect. Covers Alpine mountians and deserts. Elevations up to 12,000 feet. Lots of wildlife. Unlike Moab.

And nary a mountain biker to be found.
And June is the PERFECT time to go.