Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Conn. What if?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2001, 09:11 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey suppose someone purchased a few acres in this lousy state ti ride his ATV would anyone be willing to pay a little fee to ride on it?Just wondering because I'm thinking about it.I need a place to ride.

Old 02-26-2001, 09:12 AM
Trailblazer

I was thinking 25 or 50 acres so as there would be enough room to make a small trail.

Old 02-26-2001, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

Great idea, initially.

Since CT is so small and very populated, you will have to find a place that has 20 acres for a cheap price.

Now if you charge money, you will need a permit to have the track/trail built. Only option would be a business zoned area because no town will allow such a place to be built.

To make a decent sized trail/track you will need some heavy equipment and/or a lot of man power. Both cost money and time.

So you now have everything built and the town approval. But do you have insurance? Better fork over the dough for that million dollar policy and lawyer and accountant.

Now you will need some one to remain on the premises during all operating times. And some type of security during off times. And no, the local poice will probably not be much help.

Of course after each weekend day, you will need to regroom the track or trail. More equipment and man hours.

So while it first seems easy, buy land and ride, there is a lot more thought and resources required.

Old 02-26-2001, 11:03 AM
Trailblazer

Lasher,
you seem to be well informed. Your not a lawyer are you?It all made sense now that you brought it up.So what if There was no fee?What laws would I be looking at then?A ride at your own risk sort of thing.

Old 02-26-2001, 01:49 PM
Range Rover

It might be doable. People in NJ, NY and MA have done it. A place in CT would be great. Making trail riding available is tough because of the maintenance aspect. (re-covering roots, washouts, ruts in the woods with a tractor and dump truck) Multiple rider level MX tracks seem to work best.

Old 02-26-2001, 07:34 PM
Trailblazer

I definitly be willing to pay to ride in CT.I know of many other ATVers that would also.This state is an need for some sort of atv recreation area such as a multipurpose track and or trails.Count me in!

ferd350CT
97 warrior
supertrapp
itp w/maxxis

Old 02-26-2001, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

since you all live in ct maybe you'll be ableto answer this.....is it true that martha stewart tried to run over one of her landscapers.....my dad said something about while my mother was watching her but i don't really beleive him

Old 02-27-2001, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

You would simply run the risk that somebody gets injured and then you would be responsible, so you would still need insurance. Even if they are trespassing, you would be liable as the property owner. Even if a good lawyer can find a way around that, those cost big bucks and take a lot of time.
Personally I think the best approach is to pursue some of the places that allow bikes but not ATV's. What's up with that? The Thomaston Dam is a perfect example.

Old 02-28-2001, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

Well, rustyjones, I am not a lawyer. Just a computer programmer. But I have talked to people attempting such a feat and been involved (slightly) in trying to get something like this done.

If you do not charge people, then you do not need to be classified as a business. But then who will pay for the upkeep? You cannot count on people volunteering to help out. MrBXX is correct that you will still need insurance. And this is where the largest cost will be. Did you know that those release forms you sign actually mean little or nothing in court? Basically it is to stop the majority of people from filing a lawsuit. But every lawyer that I have talked to say that the release forms are more of formality than a stoppage of litigation.

Last year or the year before, the NEATV-MX tried to get a track built in Rocky Hill. The owner, at first, was all for building a track at his place. (Bikes are only allowed to ride there now) But there was a catch. The club had to come up with 12 grand for him to build the track. This was his initial cost, so he says. We had a bunch of people commit, but very few actually cough up the dough. This scared the owner into thinking that he was not going to get the turn out need to sustain a quad only track. End result…no track for quads.

Also, last summer, I ran into a guy that was trying to build a place out in northwestern CT. As I talked to him, he was in the excavator pulling stumps while another was grading the land. His plains were to build the largest MX course in NE. He also had plans for BMX and other stuff like that. But he was waiting on the permits from the town, which he thought was in the bag. He also was looking for an investor, not a few pennies, but a silent partner that would fund about a $100,000 to build the huge park. This guy had the land, the equipment and possibly the town. But last I knew, very little work was being done on the place, and I would guess that he ran out of cash. But I will check back this summer.

I have contacted almost everyone that owes (legally) a track in CT. All of them were already over loaded with members and had NO interest in the quads. Remember we are not looked kindly upon by the bikes. I think they call us couch riders or something like that.

From what I understand, the Thompson Damn is no longer open to the bikes. At least they switch back and forth. But it is state land. And there is no way in heck that CT will supply a place for us noise making, air polluting, earth destroying machines to ride. Face it, we are screwed. For the closest trails, get the MA reg and head up there. For tracks, fill up the gas tank and head up to NY or MA (on Mondays).

Old 03-01-2001, 10:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Not that far from CT on 84 is...

http://www.atvnewyork.com/

Click on the bottom near the credit cards and you will go to the web page with directions and info.

Quick Reply: Conn. What if?