Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Brown Mt. NC

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-1999, 11:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

o, ok.

so are these all club rides or just come one come all... as in, does anyone mind if i come along for the ride... i ask cause there's just not alot of people around me that ride, or go the place it sounds like u guys go.

thanks.
-brian.

Old 10-12-1999, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

SCMan,

Let me say one thing about the Danbury trails. I rode them when they were wet, and I was exhilerated that I made it back. Man, was I glad! I imagine they are much tamer when dry, but they were defintely slippery when wet. It was like climbing steep mud slides, sometimes with just the sides of your wheels touching anything. So, be wary of the trails in bad weather. Now, I haven't ridden all of trails. I've only ventured in about 7-8 miles, so I'm not any expert, but I can say one thing - caution when wet.

One other thing about the Danbury trails - mark your turns. Leave a marker at your turns, so you won't lose your way on the way back. Next time I go back, I'm taking a compass and a map of Stokes County, so I can try to locate the trails on it.

I am getting more information on Uwharrie. I recommend you get a map of it from a local gas station or store, so you can find your way back to the parking lot, or help others do that. The Map, for some reason, does not have a North Directional Marker, so you will have to figure out your bearings (orient the map) some other way. Take water, because there is no potable water at Uwharrie.

See you.

[This message has been edited by kclayd (edited 10-12-1999).]

Old 10-13-1999, 11:05 PM
Range Rover

Any of you guys going to the ATV Expo in Charlotte this weekend?

Old 10-14-1999, 02:22 PM
Range Rover

If you are not a very experienced rider, don't go to Danbury. The trails are fun but some will scare the crap out of ya. Steep, long, gulleys up the middle and no where to turn around if you can't make it. I just found out that Jerome is planning a little race with afew bikes and atvs around the main trail of Brown mt. sat morning if you want in on it. I plan on skipping this race, due to the fact I just put a grand into my atv with new tires, pipe, brakes, calipers, master cylinders and I don't need to spend anymore for repairs. I plan on taking it easy on the trails during the day so I can site see but at night I plan on being one of the faster UFOs in the hills. Ya'll have heard the story of the Brown Mountain Lights haven't ya. X-Files even did a show on them. It seems many people over the years saw the atv and truck lights bouncing around up on the mountain from far away and thought they were UFOs But it is only us having fun on the Mountain We could plan a trip to the Hatfield-McCoy trails. Next possible ride would be Oct. 30-31 it includes 100 miles of perfect trails maybe the best in the US for $50 a piece. It is invitational ride only but if you read the report by atving.com it sounds like it is worth every penny. Later, Steve

Old 10-14-1999, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

i heard about the Charlotte thing, though it sounded like it was a racing atv thing more than anything else..

(though i won't be able to go either way)

-Brian.

[This message has been edited by TheBoy (edited 10-14-1999).]

Old 10-14-1999, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer

Steve,

We're suppose to meet up with some guys from Fuquay-Varina on Saturday at Brown. One of the guys is supposed to have a bad *ss Scrambler 500. Piped, jetted, the works. Can't wait to do some riding with him. Looks like we may have a nice crowd. Took 12 or so to Uwharrie last weekend, I don't know if I can stand this much fun back to back. I had to give Jarrod the Scramblers a few days ago so he could clean them from Uwharrie. It takes a good couple of evenings to fully service 2 bikes, & I'm so busy at work right now I don't have time during the week to do anything else. So don't laugh at me at Brown if I have to change brake pads or do some chain tightening, just haven't have time lately. Look for us at the bottom of the trail head. Be in a Green Expedition. You should come Friday night, it will be mid-night Friday before we get there. Anyway, excited as ever, see you there.

Jerome Coker

Old 10-15-1999, 05:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Has anyone seen the Brown Mtn Lights yet???
A couple of buddies of mine and myself saw them about a month and half ago on top of trail 4. around 10:30 pm that was spooky to say the least..
Is it still dusty up there?

Chaz 96 KSF250 Mojave

Old 10-17-1999, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

chaz ask scman about the lights he seen at brown mountain. they scared the daylights out of him.

Old 10-18-1999, 03:55 AM
Trailblazer

What part of Pisgah national forest is Brown
Mtn. located ? What exit off I-40 east do I take?

[This message has been edited by 250r4ever (edited 11-13-1999).]

Old 10-18-1999, 11:29 AM
Range Rover

That was a great weekend of riding up Brown mt. Jerome's wife Marie's 99 purple and yellow Scrambler 400 was unreal, I would have to say it would win best of show anywhere, very,very trick looking. It gave me some great ideas! Well the trails were awesome, we rode every trail up there and had a blast. Trail #3 was a great test for my 99 scrambler 500 with the new 25" bearclaws all-around. It did not slip the belt one time or did I need a low gear. It turned those tires with no problem at all. Jarrod had a GPS up there and now I NEED one. That is the first time I have seen one in use and I loved it. BTW don't pull into the parking lot over 5 miles an hour or slid sideways or the ranger will floor it across the parking wide open and tell ya $50.00 ticket. He told me I was not allowed to do duellys in the parking lot. LOL I believe he meant donuts. We came across the gravel parking lot at 10-20 mph and slid it around down at Jerome's campsite. Nobody was in the parking lot and it was late in the evening so me and Jamie came right on through the parking lot and stopped at Jerome camp, unfortunitly we did not know there was a 5mph speed limit. But you know the ranger does not have to abide by the law when he is in hot pursuit of parked atvs. Since I thought that he was a joke and I left my id up on top of the mountain in the truck, he gave me a ticket and my friend a warning. Watch out for BARNEY!

Later,

Steve

Quick Reply: Brown Mt. NC