Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Brown Mt. NC

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-1999, 07:36 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Four of us and our quads spent the weekend at Brown Mt. Located in Pisgah Ntl. Forest in the eastern end of NC. Had a ball! There are trails for just about everyone. Except those who enjoy a good mud bog. It was very dusty due to lack of signifigant rain. I highly recommend trails 9 & 10 at night! The parking lot was pretty full, but the area is large enough that we rarely ran into traffic.
There are some pretty good grades, some rock climbing, and nice twisty trails with great whoops.

We camped right outside the trailhead. Camping is primitive so if you go, be sure to take everything you think you will need. (esp. water and fuel)

We plan to tackle Tellico Mt. in Nov.

Old 09-29-1999, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

Very good description of Brown Mountain. But it is in the western part of NC, not the east. Trail 1, which has a level of "difficult" is 11 miles long. As you stated, there are trails for everyone, with "easy" trails, as well as "extremely difficult" ones.

Another good place to ride is Uwharrie National Forest, about an hour south of Greensboro in the middle part of the State. It was designed by the same guy, has steeper hills and much more mud. It also has trails of varying levels of difficulty. I saw a family with a mom and her ten year old daughter driving ATVs with Dad who was in a dirt bike. There were a lot of campers there, and, like Brown Mountain, it is also primitive camping (bring your own water). One thing I did not like about Uwharrie (Baden Lake), is that there was 2-way traffic, AND four wheel drive automobiles journeyed on several trails! There was even a traffic jam! I suggest that you get a Map of Uwharrie National Forest. It shows the different trails, and most of all how to get back to the parking lot.

Good wheeling!

[This message has been edited by kclayd (edited 09-29-1999).]

[This message has been edited by kclayd (edited 09-29-1999).]

Old 09-30-1999, 12:08 AM
Range Rover

Oops! Guess I need a geography lesson, or a compass that works. Especially since I live in the WESTERN end of SC.

Thanks for the info on Uwharrie. We will put that on our list. How many and how long are the trails? Are there any towns near the trailhead?

Old 10-01-1999, 04:47 PM
Range Rover

We are going to Brown Mnt sat. I think it's alot better than Uhwarrie. Uhwarrie has way more rocks!! There are some pretty good trails around Danbury NC, some of the steepest trails I've been on. I have not been on the trails in Reidsville right off hwy 29 N but I've heard they are real good if you like real mud. Now that I have my new Bearclaws I will try the Reidsville trails and if they are all that people say they are I'll let yall know.

Later, Steve

Old 10-01-1999, 05:11 PM
Range Rover

Steve,

Let me know how the trails are there. Still gonna try to get out your way (WS). Btw, thanks for the info you emailed.

Old 10-02-1999, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

The Uhwarrie ORV trails are between the towns of Uhwarrie and Eldorado on Highway 109. On the North Carolina-South Carolina road map, you will find that east of Charlotte, NC. It is 65 miles southeast of Winston-Salem. There are 8 named trails, but I can't tell you the distances. There is a web article on North Carolin's National Forest trails, which includes Brown Mountain, Uwharrie, and Telico. You can find it at: http://www.atving.com/editor/feature...olina/ride.htm

What Myscrambler said about Uhwarrie being too rocky is a common complaint. It IS rocky. Brown Mountain is plenty rocky in places, but not as much. Like Myscrambler, I am also from the Winston-Salem area. I tried the Danbury trails he mentioned last Monday, while they were very wet, often very steep, and very, very ssssssssslippery. They are just off of Seven Islands Road, along the Dan River. I have been told that there are forty miles of trails there, but I have only ventured about 8 miles so far. There are some very nice scenic areas. I crossed several streams, one with a giant overhanging rock. The trails are used by deer hunters, so I guess we need to take that in mind when riding there. They are not part of any Park system, just rugged, remote outdoors.

There is a more civilized riding area about an hours drive north of Winston-Salem. It is in Mount Airy, the town which Andy Griffith patterned the television town of Mayberry after. It has two trails, maybe a total of 5-6 miles, as well as a Motor Cross track with lots of whoops, hills, and turns. It is called Beechnut and is right off of Exit 8 on Interstate 74 (a new Interstate). They have civilized camping there, and during the summer a swimming pool and water slide. Cost is $5 daily. Little chance of deer hunters shooting you, though.

Old 10-03-1999, 04:25 AM
Range Rover

Excellent info. Thanks!

Old 10-11-1999, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

SCMan:

I have located another ORV (Outdoor Recreational Vehicle) area. Have you ridden the Wayehutta OHV (Off-Highway Vehicle) area near Sylva in Jackson County, NC? It is north of Sumter National Forest (about 30 miles north of Ga/NC state line; about 50 miles NW of Greenville,SC)in the Nantahala National Forest in NC.

I've got a big workers-comp hearing in Sylva (Justice and Administration Building) on Thurs-Fri, after which I intend to try out Wayehutta. Next week, I am going to list all the riding areas in NC that I know, alonmg with pertinent information. I am going to put it in the topic "Where in NC?"

By the way, Steve Thompson is taking some buddies to Brown Mountain Sat and Sun. I hope to make part of it. If you're interested in joining him, his e-mail address is thomart@earthlink.net.

Old 10-12-1999, 12:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

who's Steve Thompson?

i'm a newbie to the forum here.

-brian.

Old 10-12-1999, 01:15 AM
Range Rover

TheBoy,
Steve Thompson AKA myscrambler

kclayd,
I would love to return to B. Mountain this weekend, but alas, I have also been traveling for the firm. My company is doing a joint venture with a firm whose HQ is in Portland, Oregon. Needless to say I have logged many miles (w/ MAJOR jetlag). All that to say this..the wifey would probably not appreciate me runnning off this weekend. Still planning on Tellico in Nov. though.

I have heard different things about Wayehutta. Maybe you can clear it up. I have heard some say the trails there are fairly easy and mundane. Let me know.

Gonna try to take in Uhwarrie and the Danbury trails soon. When does the winter start playing a role in the rideability of those trails? (If, it does at all)

Thx.

Quick Reply: Brown Mt. NC