Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Riding in East TN and eastern KY

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 05:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Riding in East TN and eastern KY

I live near Morristown Tn. I have been riding a trail system up in Middlesboro KY for some time now. Yep, I have hit Tackett Creek and White Rocks. Yes, i long while ago i rode Royal Blue too.
Just looking for others who may have ideas on riding areas.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Range Rover
Scared to death of girls!

Ever been to Windrock? It's not far from you at all.

We started riding there in the spring of 2002. It became instantly addicting and I made the trip from Michigan to Windrock, 30 times. 72000 acres of mountain riding, surrounding but hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of acres all around it.

I haven't been there in years, and I know it's changed. There were lots of times when we were the only ones there, but I doubt you'll see that now. We could also camp for extended periods of time for free, and I know that's out. I'm not really sure how the trails are there now, but when we went it was a lot of fun. Plus, it's close to ya.

Windrock ATV Club :: Index

Old 03-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 400x
Ever been to Windrock? It's not far from you at all.

We started riding there in the spring of 2002. It became instantly addicting and I made the trip from Michigan to Windrock, 30 times. 72000 acres of mountain riding, surrounding but hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of acres all around it.

I haven't been there in years, and I know it's changed. There were lots of times when we were the only ones there, but I doubt you'll see that now. We could also camp for extended periods of time for free, and I know that's out. I'm not really sure how the trails are there now, but when we went it was a lot of fun. Plus, it's close to ya.

Windrock ATV Club :: Index
ATVNATION, national ride will be there this summer so expect that week to be crazy! wish i could make it looks like it will be fun. if there all going the place must be good.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have ridden royal blue a few years ago. I have never been to windrock. It is about 2 hours from my house.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They've done a fair amount of work to the east side of Royal Blue. The whole area is now called something like North Cumberland instead of Royal Blue. Lots of new trails and trail markings. Also heavily patrolled by Wildlife Resources so don't even think of riding there without your permit.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by jaybeecon55
They've done a fair amount of work to the east side of Royal Blue. The whole area is now called something like North Cumberland instead of Royal Blue. Lots of new trails and trail markings. Also heavily patrolled by Wildlife Resources so don't even think of riding there without your permit.
What permits do you need now. I recall years ago just needing a hunting and fishing lic... ?

Old 03-11-2010, 03:09 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mudhound7
What permits do you need now. I recall years ago just needing a hunting and fishing lic... ?

Same deal. You have two options:

1. Get a hunting and fishing license and add a Royal Blue stamp. This runs $45 for in-state and is good for all year. Season runs from 3/1 - 2/28

2. Get an ATV ride only license. This costs about $60. That's also in-state pricing.

Tennessee and North Cumberland have some stupid pricing rules associated with riding at Royal Blue/North Cumberland. As you can see from above, option #2 lets you ride legally on all NC land. However, option #1 also lets you ride legally plus you can hunt and fish. Only those who don't know about the less expensive choice go for Option #2. Also, out of state prices are much higher. Not sure exactly but I think option #1 for an out-of-stater will run about $150.

At least if you ride double or in a UTV only one person has to have a permit - one permit per vehicle is the rule. Also, I've seen a lot of riders get stopped by the TWRA guys. They are pretty cool about it. Unless you are a real A-hole, they let you ride to a nearby store (next to the old Perkins at the 141 exit) so you can buy your permits. Or, you can just ride out and leave. I haven't seen anyone yet get a fine, although I know from talking to the ranger guys that they do hand them out. BTW, I'm serious when I say don't even bother riding without a permit. The TWRA guys stake out the parking lots or trail intersections from their pickup trucks plus they patrol the trails in a RAZR.

Because it's so popular, North Cumberland is the only WMA that requires a permit. The next nearest one is Chuck Swan WMA and while the riding there is very tame, no permit is needed for anyone, in state or out.