Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Looking for folks to ride with in the Pittsburgh area

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for folks to ride with in the Pittsburgh area

Hi all I have made a few posts here and there and it was suggested that I post here to get a better response.
Soooooo here it is.
I am looking for other folks from in and around Pittsburgh to ride with on the weekends. I have 2 groups of guys I go with but life keeps them from riding and I am lucky enough to have the time to get out once a week. (thanks to my understanding wife) Currently my quad has sat for the last 3 weeks.
If anyone out there is suffering from the same situation I say lets end the suffering there is enough of it in the world.
Just post here or send me a PM I get on the forum most days and can access it from home or work.
This weekend on Sunday 5/9 (mothers day) I am going to head out myself to Indian Creek Valley ATV club just off the Donegal exit on 76. I am not currently a member but they are having an open house the cost is 15 dollars and you can use that tword your 70 dollar year long family pass.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

Ok today I went to Indian Creek Valley ATV club. It was cold and grey but the riding was good. I cant believe it but it snowed a little today. The trails are Easy to Moderate but the moderate ones can get a little hairy if you are running them full blast. The club grounds are well groomed and offer a nice mix of water / rocky terrain and moderate hill climbs. There were many couples and kids there today but one guy I talked to said some weekends there are only a few folks there. (today there were 60 or so for the event) current membership is around 104 active members. Now with 60 or so folks there you would think it would be busy but it wasn't, sure I went around a few folks but for the most part I was all alone and only saw 3-4 groups. Everyone I met was friendly and I talked with one member and he told me they are going to add another 4-5 miles of trails this summer.

From my door in Belleview Pa it is exactly 60 miles one way to the club. Considering I went the turnpike and early on a Sunday it took me all of an hour to get there.

I will continue to update this thread as I go places and remember I am still looking for more riding partners.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Have you been to the Mines and Meadows,,,, I hear that it is not a bad place but gets crowded on the weekends. I know there is lots of riding down around the airport and various other sites near Pittsburgh,,, you just need to find the right people. Try the local bike shops and ask around. Marienville will be opening soon, but the riding is pretty uninspired for the advanced rider. If we could hook up some weekend for a short ride and see if we fit, I can show you hundreds of miles of trails around Western Pa.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds good. I will send you a PM.
Had to work around the house this weekend so I am not going to ride but I am open next weekend one of the days.

As for mines and meadows it is on my list but it is expensive so I am going to wait till the winter and get a 90 day pass since it is only 50 dollars.
Besides snow riding is a blast and I have the gear and everyone else stays home

Old 05-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just moved to the Pittsburgh area about two weeks ago and am beyond ready to get out and ride. I'm from Texas and we have none of these regulations that Pennsylvania has, so I don't have a helmet, registration, insurance... So if there's any local places off the road that aren't regulated like that.. I'd be loadin up to head out right now! I'll get everything to ride legal here, but just don't have it yet.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default Insurance and the like

Here is the skinny I insure my 2009 King Quad through Progressive and the cost is 104 dollars a year (that is so cheap it is dumb not to have it)
The plate and registration is a drag but you need it at some of the parks. (go to a messenger service or talk with any local dealer to hook it up)
As for private places to ride check Google maps and look for big "green" areas. If you live near Cranberry Pa there is a little not so secret patch just off 228 near the rt19 intersection you can see it off to the side from your car. (it is currently for sale and is best suited for small kids or if you have an hour to kill)
You can get a decent helmet for as little as 69 dollars... they are not necessary but again many of the parks require this. (and it is a good idea to protect your mellon)
Look up the place I mentioned earlier in this post, It is nice enough. If you are looking for a challenge then head to Wellsville Ohio there are about 1000 acres there an more miles than you can ride in 2 days. I have been there 4 times and it is pretty intense. Type Wellsville ATV into You Tube there are tons of videos.
Good Luck and happy motoring... Now go get legal
In Wellsville look up "The Forbidden Zone" it is connected to the place we go but I can remember the name. The Forbidden Zone is 25 a day and where we go is 10.. Google Wellsville ATV trails. The 10 dollar spot doesnt have a Website but lists one. It is something "sportsman club" and it is in the town of Wellsville. If you get off the Wellsville intermodal exit and head into town the right is a little no name market less than a mile off the exit those folks are nice and can direct you. In Wellsville it is like the wild west anything goes.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Actually Forbidden Zone is only $10 a day, and $20 for the weekend. On the Holiday weekends it is a bit more. But it is NEVER $25 a day. You can call 740-219-9448 and speak to the person in charge and he will answer any questions.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by theycallmemorris
I just moved to the Pittsburgh area about two weeks ago and am beyond ready to get out and ride. I'm from Texas and we have none of these regulations that Pennsylvania has, so I don't have a helmet, registration, insurance... So if there's any local places off the road that aren't regulated like that.. I'd be loadin up to head out right now! I'll get everything to ride legal here, but just don't have it yet.
Then you might wanna head to ForbiddenZone ATV Campground. It is $10 a day per person. And it is $20 for the weekend(Fri-Sun.) Call 740-219-9448 for directions or any questions you may have.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:21 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by kmrtigger
Then you might wanna head to ForbiddenZone ATV Campground. It is $10 a day per person. And it is $20 for the weekend(Fri-Sun.) Call 740-219-9448 for directions or any questions you may have.
Ha, I stand corrected. Either way the price of admision is well worth it since the trails are almost endless.
Have fun Tex

Old 05-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

I decided to not be lazy and look up the park that we go to. It is 10 per day every day and you can camp there if you want.
The Website is a dead link but the park is there.

Oak Tree Sportsmen Club
21200 Sixteen School Rd
Irondale, OH 43968
Park URL: http://www.oaktreesportsmenclub.com
Email: louisenvy@earthlink.net
Phone: 330-383-2772
Fax:
Nearest Town: Wellsville, Ohio
Trail Length:
Trail Type:
Skill Level: 4=All Types

Park Contact: Please call David at 330-383-2772 for any info you may need.

Directions: Take rt. 7 to Clark Ave Exit in Wellsville. Take Clark Ave Exit and go up the Hill one Mile. Trail Description: The trails around here are legendary. Its commonly referred to as The Pits. If you want to get a good idea of the trails, just visit our website and check out the aerial pictures. You will be amazed!

Quick Reply: Looking for folks to ride with in the Pittsburgh area