Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Just got back from Jackman, Maine

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got back from Jackman, Maine

Just got back from our first real ATV trip...prior to this we have always just ridden pits and done trail riding on local trails. We figured it was about time to make a real trip and do some real riding.

We left Friday night got up to Jackman and rode all day on Saturday then came back Sunday. The trails up there are amazing. Wide trails that are more like dirt roads than trails. We put on about 65 miles Saturday...we could have easily done more but we had a couple new riders with us. We were able to find some mud to get into, though it wasn't anything dramatic...we had 2 2wd atv's that made it through without much issue. The trails were very dusty, had to wear goggles and a bandana over our face while riding.

There was plenty of wildlife to see, especially while riding at dusk. We saw moose, fox, rabbits and partridge...was hoping to see a bear...but no luck!

We stayed at a hotel right in the center of town which was great. We could ride our ATV's to the store across the street to fill up and then up the side of the road to the trail.

We are going to try Houlton, Maine in a couple of weekends to see how the trails and riding are up there. I have a few pictures from riding in Jackman which I'll try to get up at some point...I don't have the camera handy right now.

I would definitely recommend riding Jackman for anybody that has kids or is looking to do some easy riding...Anyone that is looking for good mud really isn't going to get that in Jackman...unless you can find a place that we missed.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

That's where we will be going in August. Thanks for sharing with us.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

I live in waterville maine and I goto Newport alot I'm not sure where you guys are from but the riding there is great also and not so far north only about 40 miles north of augusta. The trails there are sweet there are railroad beds that go for like 30 miles straight but has tons of trails that lead off it I actually went up on the 4th and I went 162 miles and never saw the same section of trail.. some mud lotsa wildlife.. To get to the unload place go north until you reach the newport exit on I95 get off the exit take a left and go straight for about 1/2 mile on the right is a lot you will see other trucks with trailers and stuff the trail head starts pretty much right there.. there is a gas station right there and your off the the races good luck guys!

Old 07-07-2010, 04:14 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by unit6666
I live in waterville maine and I goto Newport alot I'm not sure where you guys are from but the riding there is great also and not so far north only about 40 miles north of augusta. The trails there are sweet there are railroad beds that go for like 30 miles straight but has tons of trails that lead off it I actually went up on the 4th and I went 162 miles and never saw the same section of trail.. some mud lotsa wildlife.. To get to the unload place go north until you reach the newport exit on I95 get off the exit take a left and go straight for about 1/2 mile on the right is a lot you will see other trucks with trailers and stuff the trail head starts pretty much right there.. there is a gas station right there and your off the the races good luck guys!
Hi Unit,,hey im actually looking to buy some land up there in Maine,since your from there i thought i could pick your brain,,im looking at Oakfield and West Baldwin areas for now,,the 2 realtors im chatting with say theres tons of Atv trails,have you ever been over there?? the land is so cheap up in northern Maine,i figure i should jump on it,thanks.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

Well I don't know anything about either of those areas.. this state is really secluded as you go north of bangor I mean Humping your cousin stuff LOL but I love this state. Only problem here is finding work specially up north but if you got cash or you come up here for vacation you'll be in hooligan heaven. The work issue is what makes the land so cheap also.. good luck

Old 07-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Range Rover
Thumbs up the railbed

I was up at my camp in St Albans with my grandson over the 4th weekend and we were on the railbed from newort to dover. we also did the loop trail in corrina,(a spur off the railbed) its an interesting trail with mud, boulders,corn fields,potato fields,some hard road connecters. like unit says there are many spurs off this trail including food and gas. its a great place with many more separate trails in the area. land is also available and resonable in this area. and oh ya great people too.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

Hey mini i was up there on the 4th maybe I saw you LOL did you unload in newport? We went and ate at that restaraunt in corinth.. wierd town you can't buy booze there LOL I didnt even know that still existed. I was on the corrina loop then decided to go into that trail behind the restaraunt and got so lost it was nuts I almost just laid down on this guys lawn and waited for the choppers to save me hehehehe but seriously be careful out there guys after this trip I got a delorme pn40 gps so this won't happen again!

Old 07-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

Hey if any of you guys are looking for GPS stuff my best friend GREG manages the MAP store at Delorme in Yarmouth Maine. He also goes riding alot so he gets what we need PEACE!

Old 07-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

Hey thanks Unit and Minie,im deff in the market for buying a few acres with or without a cabin,,the reason i mentioned Oakfield is because im looking at 110acres for 55k! shoot,that kinda land would cost a million down here! lol,,but im goona shop around,,i got this realtor Andy Moorer,hes mostly in Aroostock county,,,if you see any good deals send me a PM,,im also gonna go up there this fall for a weekend,maybe we can meet up? thanks again.. Troy

Old 07-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Unit,
I'm from Belfast, so only about 45 minutes from Newport...I have always heard people talking about the Newport trails but I've never tried them out. I know before you could ride from Newport to Greenville area on snowmobiles...but I thought I had heard you could only make it so far on ATV's.

Are the trails 2wd friendly? We have 2 4x4's and 2 2x4's. I definitely wouldn't mind riding around Newport as it is easier to make a day trip out of it.

Quick Reply: Just got back from Jackman, Maine