Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Trail ride in PA!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2000, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finialy found somthing

Lets see if this works <a href="http://www.visitnepa.org/rail_trails/dhrailtrail.html">D+H rail trail maps</a>

When you look at the map "ELK" is five miles left of "Union Dale"

Carbondale is about 40 miles south of your place, Exer-95 By quad.

ELK is in Susquehanna Co.

[This message has been edited by trx430ex (edited 01-14-2000).]

Old 01-14-2000, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

<a href="http://www.dcnr.state.Pa.us/Rails/Photos/owrt.html">Trail pics</a>

Finialy got this to work.It loads slow (gov site)Dont remember some of the spots.

[This message has been edited by trx430ex (edited 01-14-2000).]

Old 01-15-2000, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

Trx...
Thanks.. 40 miles is quite a ride to Carbondale. Is it worth the ride. Is is better to ride in or trailer your quad in and park somewhere ?? I heard they are starting to hassle ppl there for riding.

Also.. I now you can ride on the O+W Rail Trail. But can you also ride on the O+W Snow trails !! We ride our snowmobile s there and there are tons of trails. Wondering if you can ride then all year round !! I talked to two guys on the D+H trail and they side yes. With Regisration. I was a little hesitant to go forward, wanted to check with someone else to make sure !! I ahve a older map of O+W snow trails. There are tons. I am guessing mostly wide logging type trails. No real hard terrian type I don't think !!

How do i get hard copy maps of these trails i have mentioned. I did email someone, but no response yet !!

------------------
Exer_95....Jason....95' Honda 300ex

Old 01-15-2000, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

Exer- yes it's worth the trip.Some the the best terain is in the offshots from the main trail."some very tough stuff". But you'll need the locals to show you.
The only place people are getting haseled is from "Simpson" to "Carbondale" on the active railbed.Their is a back door around this section but I've haven't done it yet.

You can ride the snow trails (With Registration) But don't **** off the sleders.

The best bet is to get the "NEPAC" trail pass. From the "NAPA" auto parts store in Forest City.It's five bucks and comes with a map (old map).And sticker.

<u>Support this club</u> it is the only supporter of quads on the trail system.And needs to get stronger before the envirostry and kick us off the trails!

<u>Northeast ATV Club</u>
c/o Rail-Trail council of NE Pa
P O Box 123 Forest City Pa 18421

<u>Local ATV suport</u>
Holeshot Cycle Shop
Phone (570) 679-2965 or 727-2558
Can supply parts and good intel on trails or places of intrest.

Old 01-15-2000, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

I am told by locals The D+H trail goes all the way north to "Syracuse NY".
Is there sombody here from NY that can connect these trails together from the north?

the farthest north I've gone is to "Oakland Pa" and "Lanesboro Pa"? Right on the NY border.

Farthest South, "Jermyn Pa" and "Archbald Pa"
Total main trail miles 110 in one day.Not counting off shoots.Betwen the two points.

Old 01-17-2000, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

trx430ex...
I will defintly be makin git up there this spring !! I was told it would be a 60 mile trip from where i am !! Not to bad i guess !! lol !! If you were at the NY york border, you went right past my cabin !! Well not really right pasted, but right past our land, can't see the cabin from the railroad. I don't plan on riding in the winter up there. Buti do in the spring and summer and fall. Can i ride on the trails then ???
Do you now enough about the area to be a local ?? I would like to make a trip this spring !! Would like to meet up with some of you guys then !! Sounds like a blast!!
Is there reg. needed for the D+H and O+W rail trail ??
Thanks for the info..

------------------

Old 01-17-2000, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

I think this is the largest and longest trail system I have ever reconed! Getting great intel and a lot of it.

So far I've found trails heading north in abound into NY. Working my way to "Boonville" NY. After that it opens up even more, North.

I have a lot of info to sort through so it may take some time to figure it all out. But I will.
Detailed maps and books on the way .
i guess you could call me a local.

Working on trail pass-pass's.The system is very long, And passes through many towns and munisipalitys.Guidelines are still vauge at best up there.

Old 01-18-2000, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

trx.. You get me more and more excited about riding up in the Carbondale area everytime I read your posts. I am very nterested in your info. Could you inform me on who you are contacting for this info. I have contacted Some at tccrail@epix.net I am not sure who that is, but agve me some info about D+H passes ($5) and the O+W snow trails are for winter use only !! That stinks !! She actually says she has a guide to the D+H rail trails. Is this worth getting, its only a railroad bed. I guess its worth the $2. Let me now where i can get this info, or if you could copy your stuff and mail it. I live in Gilbertsville, Pa. We are pretty close !! Thanks !!

------------------

Old 01-18-2000, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

anyone coming up north this weekend to Marienville?

------------------
Steve Small, '00 400ex
'00 Trail Boss for the wife.
Impuls90 for the boys.
<a href="mailto:extreme400ex@home.com">EXtreme E-mail</a>

Old 01-18-2000, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

Exer- Most of my intel comes first hand, from locals up there. And then hand drawn onto PA and Ny Topographic Gazetteer Maps.Some from the net, (But not current). And now a lot more from old hard cover railroad history books that have complete maps (but Dated)1840's. And need to be verified that they still exist.(not just on paper).

Some bridges are out,And some trails have been out right taken by land owners who think they own it.(Not)But the trail seems to be getting longer and longer with some dead spots to get around. But it keeps on going.

The rail bed is only a "highway" if you will. And exits off that highway "abound".And you have to know where they are to find. "Where do you want to go today"? ie- hillclimbs/mudpits/campsites/Gas/lodging/good food/parts/high speed runs/tops of mountians/vistas/ yada-yada-yada.
The largest freestanding granite arch bridge in Pa. All kinds of things.

Just give me a little time to put together all the data, When I think I have everything I'll make copys.
Yea.....Pick up that guide and we'll throw it in the mix. It's only two bucks.

EXtreme......Twiiiiist

Quick Reply: Trail ride in PA!