Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

all kansas riders come here

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to to know who rides atv's in kansas. I am from kansas city. My buddies and i have rode everywhere we could find in kansas. We have been too lake perry, tuttle creek, eudora, pomona lake, and milford lake. Is there anywhere else to ride in this state? We are heading to waynoka next month just to get away from riding at the normal spots. I know that there is some other kansas riders out there. Where are you?

Old 03-14-2001, 09:33 AM
Range Rover

Well sorry, you have named off about all I have been told of. Since I live in the south part of the state I go to several places in Oklahoma.
It is unfortunate that Kansas has so few places to ride and is very un- supportive in making any new areas. I have wrote several letters to different law makers to try and change this. What I am finding is there is just not enough support from riders. We need to have a loud voice if we are to get new riding areas.

Old 03-14-2001, 02:35 PM
Trailblazer

How is milford lake to ride? I live up in nebraska and have been thinking about trying it. I was wondering what type of riding it offers? I ride a banshee, would I be wasting my time coming down? Also do you need a park permit? if so how much are they for a non-resident? thanks alot!!!!

Old 03-14-2001, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

Milford lake is an excellent place to ride. You do not have to pay to ride there. There are camping sites right by the entrance to the trails. They do limit your width of your atv to 53 inches so small trucks and jeeps can't get in. I couldn't fit my polaris in there. So measure your atv from wheel to wheel if you go in there. They have poles set in concrete and they don't give at all. Luckily when i went i brought my atc 250r with me as a backup. It is about 300 acres i believe. They have a small race track that is pretty fun. Very scenic, if you have a wife or girlfriend bring her, she will love it. There are lots of steep hill climbs that go straight up about 60-70 feet but have some major ruts from dirtbikes. There is alot of riding along the lake and are easy trails to just cruise around on. There are some trails that go between huge boulders and actually ride on top of them. It is a nice place to ride but i don't know if it is worth the drive for you. There a lots of sport bikes out there so your banshee would fit right in. For me the drive is about hour and half from lawrence. If you go to milford you might as well try tuttle creek which is in manhattan. It's about 30 minutes from milford and they have a small hotel about 2 minutes from the trails that is only 15 bucks a night. Tuttle creek in my opinion is better but is totally different than milford. Tuttle creek has two offroad areas. One area is open to any offroad vehicle that make it through. They have jeep jamborees out there every weekend. Lots of built up jeeps, land rovers, land cruisers, trucks, anything. The trails are huge and you can ride along the water and top your machine out. There are some steep hill climbs and trails that go straight up where the jeeps go and get to the top and then have to winch themselves over a 5 foot rock wall. It's pretty cool to go out and watch them do that. If you go definitely go to tuttle creek too and take your camcorder. There are lots of bad *** trucks that go out there.

Old 03-14-2001, 04:12 PM
Range Rover

Just curious why you could not fit a Polaris between 53”
I know at Milford if you park east of the main lot, you do not have any 53” post to go through to get to the trails. That is if the large vehicle gate is open for parking.

Old 03-14-2001, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

winston, There are two poles that are set in concrete and a sign there. I have only been there once and it was last year sometime. I actually took a picture of the posts to the entrance to the trails, I don't know where it is but i will try to find it. I think that it does say something about it if you look under U.S. army corps of enigineers website and then look under milford lake. It gives information about the riding area. They may have taken out the poles since that last time i was there but believe me they were there. I would have made it through the poles if i didn't have my outlaw tires on there and the wheel spacers. I just couldn't squeeze in between the poles. Where do you ride at winston? Know of any other good places? Have you been to tuttle creek?

Old 03-14-2001, 05:38 PM
Range Rover

As far as I know the poles are still there.
I was just curious why you could not fit through them. I guess with wheel spacers and large tires I could see why you would have trouble.
My wife and I both ride, and yes we have been to Tuttle.We like both areas,however both are very different. We have been down to Kaw Lake a few times. It is not as difficult or as large but the wife enjoys it.Pretty easy riding mostly.We have also been to Little Sahara in OK. However sand dunes are not our thing. We ride utility type ATVs
Honestly, the best place we went was Colorado. Yes it is far, but great riding,ATV freindly,and great people.
We have a trip planed this spring to S.E. Oklahoma. We were told it offers some very good riding trails.
If I find some new areas in Kansas I will post them.

Old 03-14-2001, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

Winston, where is Kaw lake? I have never heard of it. I would like to try it sometime. What kind of riding is there? I am always looking to take the polaris to do some serious mudding and get stuck. You are right about waynoka though, if you don't have a sport bike it kinda sucks. Not that fun on a utility machine. You can't shoot up the dunes and sky over the top like you can on a sport quad. It is fun to watch the crazy guys catch all that air.

Old 03-15-2001, 09:29 AM
Range Rover

The Kaw Lake riding area is close to Ponca City Oklahoma. (About 110 miles S.E. of Wichita)Have you been to Chadwick,Mo.? I hear it has some pretty good riding.However if you go that far south you will find several good riding areas.
I will check with a freind of mine that go's mudding in an old gravel pit somewhere around Hutchinson Ks.