Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Snow Shoe Rails to Trails and Bloody Skillet

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Shoe Rails to Trails and Bloody Skillet

ATV Trails on State Forest Land - Bloody Skillet
Welcome To The SSRT Home Page Snow Shoe home page

This weekend I had the oppturnity to stay at a friend of a friends cabin in Snow Shoe PA.
I wasnt so sure how I would like a rails to trails run since I am not a cruiser. I have to say that I was plesantly suprised that there were trails off the main track but dissapointed that they circled back on themselves or ran into posted signs. The scenery is top notch and there was one bridge of note (a few hundred feet above the valley with no guide rail) and a very long tunnel.
It rained heavy the week before so the creek was too high to cross and this kept us out of a small hill climb area below RT 80.
We covered 80-90% of the available area on day one covering about 75 miles before we headed back for food. Saturday we headed out to the other end of the rail bed traveled several miles of road and reached the connector for Bloody Skillet. I have to say I am impressed with the connector trail. Some of it is pretty tame but over all fun. The highlights of the connector trail is the work the state did in the valley, 2 new bridges just for the trail.
The trail starts out green (easy) then turns blue (Medium) and right to black (hard) with no turn offs. The black section was a challenge since it was so steep with soft soil and lots of rocks. Because of the loose footing those in front of you changed the trail as they kicked up debris. Once you climb the hill you have a typical mix of trails. There are 34 total miles of trails and the terrain was more than I expected. (I didnt have high expectations)
There are a few nice hill climbs but a lot of the trails are green. Going fast makes them challenging.
One thing I noted was a lack of water brakes. This caused several rutted out areas to keep you on your toes. Our day was cut short due to a broken axle but from what I saw it was worth a trip.
If you have been here or have any thoughts just post em.