Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Got Michigan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2000 | 02:33 PM
|
Pro Rider

One of the finest places that I have been to in the Midwest is Dickinson County in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. ATVs are allowed along the edge of every road in the county. You can go anywhere and the countryside is criss-crossed with logging roads. Actually the locals are into high speed ATVs and fire road cruising and wouldn't know what a Mud Machine Tire was for.

Old 01-21-2000 | 06:13 PM
Mac
Range Rover

Thor your right about some of the Upper Mich areas to ride. I have ridden on the Forest Island DNR trail and it was great mud riding until last year the DNR upgraded the swampy areas with plank bridging so it makes REAL nice for folks like my wife or grandma to ride without getting there tennis shoes dirty. So I going to venture out more toward Marquette and Baraga areas. I rode with some folks last year on a snowmobile trail # 8 and it wasn't bad for high speed riding but not much for scenic mud riding through the hills I'am being told about in north central U P. I was told about a trail near Norway and Iron Mountain was very rocky and tire cutting problems were tough in many places. Where in Dickinson county did you ride? Mac

------------------

Old 01-21-2000 | 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

You guys are so right about the upper part of Michigan.Its the lower pennisula that sucks[below the big mac bridge]Thats where im from and the trails MUST be posted in order to ride or there's a big fine to pay.=====BILL

------------------

Old 01-23-2000 | 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

Mac,

Iron Mountain, and Norway are in Dickinson county. The Norway trail is a tuff one to get through you have to cross beaver dams, swamps, bottomless black mud very hard trail to get through. One guy I know lost a brand new sportsman 500 in 8 feet of black water on his first day with his new machine. Note sportsman 500's do not float. The city of Norway is called "City of trails" nice place to be.

------------------

Old 01-23-2000 | 10:49 PM
Range Rover

i have rode at the 61 thrais in michigan and there are some in alpena then there is silver lake and bo gapso it ant too bad are you guys from michigan, where, i from bay city

Old 01-24-2000 | 07:14 AM
Pro Rider

hey guys,

Keep it up! Haven't ridden any of the UP trails yet. Planning a 2 week trip for this summer. Taking the ferry across to Wisconsin (I hear there are good trails in the north), and working our way back around to the bridge. Like to get in some challenging trails, and some great canoeing. Unfortunately, I know more about the rivers than the atv trails. It would be great to get something pretty well layed out, and have an opportunity to meet some of ya'll. Anyway, the Norway trail is one for the trip. Looking forward to some more posts.

Brian

Old 01-24-2000 | 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

exlax250x-Your much to close to me,im in Burton Michigan,near Flint.=====BILL

------------------

Old 01-24-2000 | 11:05 AM
|
Pro Rider

Dusty,

You might want to plan your trip so that you arrive in Ironwood, Michigan on the 27th or 28th of May. You will then be at the Hurley Wisc. ATV Jamboree. Hundreds and Hundreds of ATVs take over the town and it is a great time. Drag races, mud runs, poker runs (girl watching) the works.

Old 01-24-2000 | 10:53 PM
Range Rover

cool bill how old are you and what kind of machine you got

small world

john

Old 01-25-2000 | 09:06 AM
Mac
Range Rover

Dusty, I have heard from my nephew that the Norway DNR trail is terrible. The Forest Island trail is off of M-35 south of Escanaba about 16 miles and goes south in the forest and swamps for approw 35 miles of loopso you can ride about 60 miles round trip back to a staging area. Wells state park is located 5 miles south of the south staging area. You can get DNR maps of this upgraded trail on the net or go to a local DNR Forest office. I thinking of going tho the Hurley Ironwood Memorial Day Festival. I notice some of you fellows have been to this event. I plan on going on different trails this sommer. Mac

Quick Reply: Got Michigan?