Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

More mass restrictions SHOCKING

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry More mass restrictions SHOCKING

Just some FYI you may have already known or not?

There are only 6 mass state forest orv/ohv riding areas... or NOT! Oh yeah, 2 of them do not allow orv's with more than 2 wheels!! (freetown and gilbert hills) So now we are down to 4.

Then, ORV use is permitted only during the riding season (as conditions allow) beginning no earlier than May 1 and ending no later than the last Sunday in November each year.

HOLY COW!! If my math is correct, there are 5 months in which we can't ride on our 4 state trail systems.

But wait, there is more!

one of the 4 state forests open to orv's is quoted as saying

" Tolland trails merge with public ways where ATV use is prohibited. ATV riders will find more suitable trails in Beartown, October Mt. and Pittsfield State Forests"

HOLY *****T now we are down to 3 !

Of these 3 we have left The state forest are, and I quote "ORV trails in Western Massachusetts are challenging and only suitable for the intermediate to expert rider.

I guess we have to take our mass legally registered atv's to another state until we are Expert riders before we can ride in Mass. So go ahead and spend your money on a nice atv that you can not even ride in your own state. But by law all atv's have to be registered even if it sits in your garage.

B) Operating within 150 feet of an occupied residence without permission of the owner.

WTF?? Don't plow your driveway without all your neighbors permission!
Technically, this is a rule that gives the police an easy way to give you a ticket just about anywhere.

C)Do not let your machine Emit noxious fumes.

noxious fumes, Really?? All of our machines only expel pure oxygen right??

Use your money to register your atv so the state can give us all great places to ride. Just be sure you are an expert rider who drives a vehicle that does not emit noxious fumes, and do not drive without permission from any neighbors within 150 feet of your own frikin house.

Sorry I had to vent but I had to.

I bet beer agrees with me on some of these thoughts.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I hear you, Dan. That's why I register in ME and NH. They are much more ATV friendly. It's easier for me because I live in Northern Mass. near the NH border, but early on I figured it out. They just want our registration money. They don't want us to actually ride here. Just had an 86 mile ride up in Southern Maine on Saturday and up there you can, not only ride, but ride into many of the towns for food, gas, and bathrooms.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:55 AM
Pro Rider

Thats the move i am making as i have had enough of MA!! i live on the southest and it takes me 3.5 hours to get to october mtn or pitsfield, i can do the same drive north and ride.
I just joined a ATV club in NH and will be attending one of their events this weekend, i hope to get plenty of info on where i can go up there. Then next season Ma wont have to worry about me stinking up their forest...just the way they want it!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the response moose. Next year my registration money goes north.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:07 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1eep
Thats the move i am making as i have had enough of MA!! i live on the southest and it takes me 3.5 hours to get to october mtn or pitsfield, i can do the same drive north and ride.
I just joined a ATV club in NH and will be attending one of their events this weekend, i hope to get plenty of info on where i can go up there. Then next season Ma wont have to worry about me stinking up their forest...just the way they want it!

hey 1eep-

pm me your phone- I'll call or text you when we get up there. I talked to bob (or was it george ) last night. He's expecting about 75-80 riders this year.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:23 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by salesdan
B) Operating within 150 feet of an occupied residence without permission of the owner.

and do not drive without permission from any neighbors within 150 feet of your own frikin house.

Sorry I had to vent but I had to.

I bet beer agrees with me on some of these thoughts.
vent away bro!

Even that law you state above is total BS-

I was handed a $250 citation from a cop 500' from my house- I was riding on neighbors land for which I had permission to be on when he pulled up- I was 40' off the road in the woods.

$25 to appeal the initial ticket in court- the clerk read the cops details of the citation- which said... " riding within 40' of a public road (ergo I was riding on the road in his opinion), not observing marked no-trasspassing signs, riding on an unreg'd ORV, and unlawful tresspassing on private property" The cop didn't want to hear any of it- told me to appeal the citation and he was "doing me a favor" and it could've been a lot worse!!!!!!

I told the first clerk that it's all incorrect- My atv was reg'd, I had permission to be on the property, and I wasn't on the street.

He sided with the cop despite the eveidence in hand - I even had the atv reg & a town map of the land- he wouldn't even look at it! When I asked him if it would make a difference if i showed him the papers "evidence" I had- he said "no, I've made my decision"

So I again appealed it- another $50 to be heard in front of a judge. Cop was there- I told the judge the same thing... 2 days later I got the letter finally dismissing the charges!!!

cost me $75 and a day out of work to fight a charge for doing nothing wrong- Do I get my $75 back??? nope! Massachusetts BS!

now you got me all worked up

Old 10-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Pro Rider

I have 2 state troopers that live in my developement, guess i wont be plowing their driveway anymore.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by salesdan
HOLY *****************T now we are down to 3 !
Don't forget that Pittsfield (one of the three) just closed over 80% of the trails leaving us with only a 12 mile loop that you need to get a special permit to ride on the day you show up!

It is maddening if you let it get to you. I felt that way when I started, but now I really couldn't care less. We can't win in MA, so I do whatever I can to support the states around here that do want our business. No more MA registration or MA sales tax from me.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Trailblazer

Don't waste your time, take a look at the map of trails, all WAY out in western, ma. We all know of areas closer than that, (not legal im sure but...). NH, theres plenty. Its worth the ride if your willing to spend the time riding.

This state has more laws and rules its ridiculous.

And theres always a neighbor or two that frown at ya, just ignore it , trailer up and take off.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Wilson is right.

Quick Reply: More mass restrictions SHOCKING