Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Acadia National Park

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acadia National Park

Mainers...... I was in the park last year and asked one of they rangers if I could ride my ATV in the park when it closes after December 1st. The ranger said "yes, people ride here all the time", I said "are you sure", and she said "yep".... All the documents say no ATV or dirt bikes, standard National Park stuff. My question is, has anybody here ventured into Acadia NP during the winter before there's too much snow, or in the spring before the park opens again? Love to just unload and take off, but don't want to end up with a federal ticket of some kind and face confiscation....

Old 01-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

I've never heard of such a thing. Nor, would I think you could ever do such a thing. I would be very surprised if this was true.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Rancher247
I've never heard of such a thing. Nor, would I think you could ever do such a thing. I would be very surprised if this was true.
I know... Just hoping somebody was breaking the rules with ease in the winter and was brave enought to tell about it Wonder why that ranger would say such a thing. I guess she just didn't have any clue what she was talking about, or she's on to something big.

As a side note, if anybody is looking for something to do in the summer with the family, Acadia is unbelievably nice. It's just a gorgeous place without equal IMO. There's a reason John D. Rockefeller snagged it for himself, then turned it over to all of us. Add it to your list of MUST see places. It's right up there with Yellowstone and Yosemite National Parks, but in a more manageable way for easterners.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:17 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've camped up there a couple of times in aug / sep with the family.
I asked a park employee about any atv trails in the park area and he was pretty serious about saying they won't tolerate it.

I'd be a bit nervous riding in there, even in the winter months- those rangers be zipping around on sleds I would think

Old 01-13-2012, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

Well, Acadia may not have ATV trails, but downeast Maine does. Hundreds of miles on the Sunrise Trail system. Also the new rail trail is very scenic, won't challenge you, but some very nice views, and can ride around towns like Cherryfield and Machias to get gas, food, etc. I made it to Machias before turning around. Hopefully this year I'll see the rest of it.