Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield McCoy trail question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kind of off topic some of our riding friends are thinking about making a riding trip and this has always been a place I would like to go. I was wondering if there are some muddy trails or is mostly rocky terrain. I saw in some of your pics some mud but wondering how much.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

It depends on which of their systems you ride. We have ridden them all and buffalo mountain has the best riding if you are looking for mud.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the info.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Mud Slinger
It depends on which of their systems you ride. We have ridden them all and buffalo mountain has the best riding if you are looking for mud.

47 on Buffalo Mtn was a blast last October when I went. Pure unadulterated thick grey mud!!! The trail head connector into Williamson was pretty rough at the end tho. I would have considered it a partial black trail.

Coal River had a couple of good spots too!! I actually got buried up in a hole and had to get other riders to pull me out .... Had a blast tho.

Be careful of trails 58, 44, and 45 ... I rode all blue and black trails on that system. 58 was by far the worse one!! It had wash out ditches that could swallow your tires whole and was at a 90 degree angle.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer

Planning on taking a trip here for the first time this summer with my son (leaving wife and daughter home to enjoy beach days). Have a couple questions. I noticed on most lodge site's it states that no one under the manufacturer's age restriction can operate the ATV. My kid is 9, rides an Ozark which is listed for 16 and over (even his Eton Viper 90 is has a 12 and over sticker). Is this really enforced? Why take the trip if he can't ride. I also was thinking of maybe renting quads because I don't really have a way to hike ours down unless I borrowed in-laws truck and trailer (which I would line to avoid). But all the sites I found say they don't rent to anyone under 18. Would really like to go. Was looking for a place we could just drive to and stay (like a cottage) and get a couple quads for the week. Anyone have a suggestion? Someone recommended Ashland or Twin Hollows for the cottage. Are these any good. Neither of them have ATV rentals though.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Range Rover

Don't worry about the ages. I was there 2 weeks ago and my 9 year old rides an AC150 and my 12 year old rides a brute force 300. Zero issues. I would almost recommend you do little coal river. It might be better suited for your little one. We stayed at Ashland and some parts of the connector trail was a little hairy for my nerves with my 9 year old behind me on her atv. Pm me if you want more details

Old 05-04-2012, 08:47 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!

I don't know that anyplace rents quads on any of the systems! And if they do, you would be better off renting a truck and getting your own quads there as far as price! You won't have any issues with riding age...don't be stupid and you won't be messed with. That area of the country needs your money as much as anywhere and if they pester you to death you won't come back-they are well aware of this fact! Twin Hollow and Ashland are both good places to stay, but I would not recommend Rockhouse for a 9 yr old unless he/she has ALOT of experience.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Trailblazer

If I can bring my quads will his Eton 90cc be able to do the easy trails or should I have him use the Ozark? He can ride both, but prefers the Eton because its an automatic and he can handle it better. Is the Eton too small? Is there places to buy gas on the trails or do you need to carry a container? Any tips for a first timer? Like things you should bring, stuff you said oh sh*t I wish I had/brought that. Knowing myself I would just show up with clothes and a toothbrush.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:32 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!

I would say put him on whatever quad he is more comfortable with! For the beginner, I would start at Little Coal River and get your feet wet there. It is the easiest trail on the entire system, but does not offer fuel or food! The visitor center is right there for passes and memorabilia. I would highly recommend Little Coal River campground-you park and ride right under the highway and onto the system. If you are not a camper, they do offer a couple cabins and a permanent camper for rent!

As far as what to bring-there are more things than I am going to name but this will give you some ideas to get started...tire plug kit, 12v air comp, tow rope, first aid kit, zip-ties, tool set, camera, all of your shower and sleeping goods, rain gear, laminated maps, extra fuel, Toilet paper (leaves rub a little ). I am sure that there are more things than that! We ride out of a 28 ft enclosed trailer that is fully stocked with all of the above and about everything else you can think of to make the trips as enjoyable as possible! Even A/C and a microwave! Post back with more questions-you have ridden all of systems and put in many miles there over the past couple years-so feel free to ask. If you are serious about planning a trip and would like a forum dedicated to H-M look at trailsheaven and their forums!

Old 05-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

When we rode H/M three years ago we were told the trails on Rock House were some of the toughest with many of the greens and blues being more like the blues and blacks on the other trails. If I remember right we rode a couple blacks, and didn't have much trouble. Mostly some long, rocky climbs. or downhills depending which way you are going.
I was off the wheeler for a couple years with leg, and back pain. After a back surgery that did nothing, and a full hip replacement that ended the pain on that side I'm back on the PoPo, and getting some riding time in before our next trip to H/M this June.

Quick Reply: Hatfield McCoy trail question