Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Michigan's Silver Lake Sand Dunes

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2001, 09:56 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know the rules for riding here. I'm planning on making a trip there the end of may or the first week in june. I know I'll need a recreational sticker and the flag, but someone told me you need proof that you have taken a rider safety course. Is this true? Because I havent taken one before.
Thanks,
Tom

Old 03-22-2001, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

hittinhard,

Visit www.geocities.com/berglundbradley (Stroker's page) for information on Silver Lake. A group of about 60 of us are going July 13-15. he has all the information as to what is required on there under "Silver Lake 2001".

Old 03-22-2001, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

I've been there many times and have never heard anything about having to take a safety course. You have to pass two guard shacks to get into the dunes- at the first shack they check for two stickers: a state park sticker (day or season pass) and a Michigan ORV license (need a drivers license to get). At the second shack they check for the flag- you drive under a 10' high bar to see if your flag will hit it. I suppose they could check for sound levels and spark arrestors at that shack, but I've never seen them do so. Normally, there is some college age person at the shack and they just nod as you cruise by. I think they just want to make sure they get their money and don't really care what you're driving.

Old 03-22-2001, 08:13 PM
Trailblazer

They check your coolers for beer and they check that your flag hits, that you have a helmet on (bikes & quads), and I believe they require you have goggles also. Quite frankly, the only safety course that would do you a bit of good there is-riding there!!! Take it easy the first couple times around and have fun!!!

Old 03-23-2001, 11:16 AM
Range Rover

Hey thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it. I've ridden in the sand before, but haven't been able to hit the big dunes before. I have a cabin on lake michigan, near Manistique. The biggest dunes we have there are small doubles, theres a big dune back in the woods, but they dont let anyone ride there anymore. We use to be able to ride up and down the beach, but now people itch and complain. The people that complain are all the people who use to ride their bikes, but now are too old and they want their quiet time. Theres still 1000's of acres of woods up there.
Any recommendations on cheap paddle tires or good paddles.

Old 03-23-2001, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

I got a set of dune hoppers on .190 douglas wheels from rocky mountain atv for about $180 shipped to my door. I've been very happy with them. rockymountainatv.com

silver lake rocks, we go all the time. if you go on the weekend just make sure you get your parking vouchers as soon as you get in town. the voucher booth is open at 6pm friday and open 24hrs through the weekend. the voucher will guarantee you a parking spot, on the weekends the lot fills up fast. try to avoid the holiday weekends.