Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Paiute Trail ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2001, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok here it is guys. About 4 or 5 of my ridding buddies are planning a trip to the Paiute trial system. Since we are all from ohio none of us have been there before. I got on Marysvale.org and ordered a book with alot of info on the trails. What Im lookin for is info on what we should or shouldnt bo on the look out for. We talked to a guy that rents quads and he even offered to pick us up at the airport (for a fee). But still I thinks thats great. Any info you guys that could pass along would be real helpfull. Rob

Old 04-22-2001, 06:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

What time of year will you be ridding the trail? I think some parts will be impassable till the middle or end of May this year.

Old 04-22-2001, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

We will not be going till rite after the rocky mtn jamboree. We dont want to get caught up in the crowds.

Old 04-22-2001, 10:25 PM
Range Rover

I've been to that Jamboree 3 times, and I've noticed that it is held just about the time the weather changes drastically. Rode in snow during 2 of the Jamborees I've attended. My advice is to consider riding the week before the Jamboree if you want to avoid the Jamboree crowd and the possibility of bad weather. I'd also bring dust masks, as the trail is pretty dusty after the 1st rider. Marysvale is a good place to stay, as it has easy access to the Paiute Trail, and some of the campers there are ATV riders who would probably show you some of the side trails, which are more specific to ATV riding. Most of the Paiute Trail is accessible by Jeep/Pickup Truck, etc., at least the part I've ridden.
Good Luck.

Old 04-23-2001, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah I would go before the Jamboree. The Rocky Mountain Jamboree is the third week in September. After that The hunting seasons are starting to get into full swing!! You might miss the ATV Crowd but you will be smack dab in the middle of the bow hunting crowd.
Some of the dont's is don't ride down main street!! You can ride down the side roads but riding down main street could result in a ticket. You can cross the main streets you just can't ride down them.
The west side of the loop is more beautiful than the east but both are fun to ride.
Anyway good luck and have fun!!!

Old 12-20-2001, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

Well we took your guys advice and we are goin in the first week of sept. Don and I going to fly into Vagas and reanting a car and meeting up with another buddy of ours in Richfield? maybe and takin it from there. Anything else we should be on the look out for?? We would be greatfull for any more help you could offer. Thnx again, maybe we could see some of your there, Rob

Old 12-20-2001, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer

ROBH,

I live right here in the middle of the Paiute trail system. If I were to recommend a time to come, I would say come right in the middle of the summer. While it can be rather warm in the day you can spend that time up high where it's cool and come off the mountain in the afternoon to some of the most spectacular summer evenings you have ever seen. It's also cool to get caught in a fast moving summer thunderstorm.

I really think Sept. is a little late. It can be nice and it can be crap too.

I ride all year. I think summer is the best.

ER

earth_raper@hotmail.com if you have more questions.

Old 12-21-2001, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

robh,

Do you have any info on the quad rentals in the area and how much of a drive from Vegas it would be? Also, what airport was this guy offering to pick you up from, how much extra and what kind of rigs does he rent?

Thanks in advance for the info.

John
'00 SP500

Old 12-21-2001, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

well we found a guy in marysvale that rents 2000- 2001 ranchers for about 110 bucks a day, im still kickin the idea of gettin my buddy to take my quad out there instead. I dont really know what im goin to do in the dept yet. As far as gettin to the trail from Vagas. We did find a guy to pick us up for 150 but we are thinkin of rentin a car for 200 instead. It will not be too bad, since Don and I would be spliting the cost of the car.

Old 12-21-2001, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

Richfield is a good place to start and stay. It is a bigger town so there are more eating and sleeping options (lots more!!!). [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I would recommend the west side of the trail. It is more mountainous and to me has more to offer. The Tushar mountain Pass If you take your binoculars and don't mind a small walk usually you can see a large heard of mountain goats that range up there in the summer. There are a lot of side trails that you can take from one town to the next so depending on how long you are staying will determine how much you get to see!!! Richfield to Fillmore/Kanosh are both really nice trail rides. No eating establishments in Kanosh but there are plenty on the southern edge of Fillmore. Yes you can ride your ATV their and back to the trail head.
You can make a nice loop from richfield to Marysvale and back it will be a good days ride but fun to do. Marysvale has a total of 2 eating establishments that I am aware of, and one gas station Population is about 100 people excluding ATV Visitors. The eating establishments serve good food. A nice place to stay overnight is a place called Liz & Charlies They offer camping grounds for tents and trailers. They even have showers you can clean yourself up after the long ride. They are Coin operated so take along some quarters and your own towel. Usually a buck or two gives you a nice shower!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].
If you want a nice ride further south keep going past Marysvale and onto Circleville. There is another trail that takes off from there and continues south. This trail system is called the Freemont Trail. It is one of the most beautiful rides I have been on. We rode clear down to a lake called Tropic Reservoir. (Didn't catch any fish though) There are some pretty cool rock formations. From Richfield this would be about a 4 day ride down and back.
If you want a real hard ride ride trail 66. Most people refer to this as trail 666!! It is nothing but a narrow ravine filled with big boulders!!! Once you start you are committed because there isn't much room to turn around. It is about the toughtest trail on the Paiute. This trail takes you up on the east side of the trail system. You can then head north to Salina (mostly dirt roads) and then back over to Richfield.

My only other thing to get when you come out is a map and a GPS. I picked my map up from a local dealer. I think the Marysvale web page has them too. you can buy them off the Web at www.trailsillustrated.com or www.mapsillustrated.com It was something like that.

As far as timing I think the summer is the best time to go too. August is great the first of September shouldn't be too bad though. Like what others have suggested go before the jamboree!! After the Jamboree you're getting into the rifle hunting seasons and we use high powered rifles to hunt!!! If you come out after the Jamboree just bring a flourecent orange jacket to wear!!!

good Luck I hope you have fun. I know I do when I go!!!

Quick Reply: Paiute Trail ?