Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

N. Michigan: St Helen, Mio, Rose City, West Brabch

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 11:03 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WeatherBug gives me alerts for Flint and Mio. I got this for the area including Mio earlier today.

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM MONDAY TO
7 AM EST TUESDAY...

Emmet-Cheboygan-Presque Isle-Charlevoix-Leelanau-Antrim-Otsego-
Montmorency-Alpena-Benzie-Grand Traverse-Kalkaska-Crawford-Oscoda-
Alcona-Manistee-Wexford-Missaukee-Roscommon-Ogemaw-Iosco-Gladwin-
Arenac-

Including the cities of Petoskey, Cheboygan, Rogers City,
Charlevoix, Northport, Mancelona, *******, Atlanta, Alpena,
Frankfort, Traverse City, Kalkaska, Grayling, Mio, Harrisville,
Manistee, Cadillac, Lake City, Houghton Lake, West Branch,
Tawas City, Gladwin, and Standish

WHAT...Wet snow...possibly heavy at times. Total snow
accumulations of 3 to 6 inches...locally higher amounts are
possible.

WHERE...All of Northern Lower Michigan.

WHEN...From 4 PM Monday to 7 AM EST Tuesday.

ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Plan on hazardous travel throughout New
Years Eve. Expect reduced visibilities and poor road conditions.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow, sleet or
freezing rain will cause travel difficulties. Expect slippery
roads and limited visibilities, and use caution while driving.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. Up north where I won't be, and not here where I'd have to shovel it.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Your bein a party pooper! Come on snow!

Old 12-31-2018, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

next weekends forcast up there, mid 30's w/ tons of sun dry all week, just rain snow mix for today. Trying to get something together here for trip up there then! Hard to get a fire under anyone anymore, couch potatoes lol Don't need snow to have fun, but I know it wouldn't hurt lol
HAPPY NEW YEAR GUYS....almost, hope to see ya next year, snow already! lol

Old 12-31-2018, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

Last time up there the temp was high 40 to low 50. You were having a tough time keeping your hands and face warm. So how are you going to keep warm at 30 degrees? At 25 mph it is going to feel "really" cold! I remember well riding my quad in the cold of winter and that cold blast of air sneaking into any opening it could find...that is another reason I now sit behind a windshield with an enclosure and a heater!!!

Old 12-31-2018, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

Well can I ride with you then, and we can both stay toasty, wouldn't use that much gas, but i prefer to drive....got a problem with that! lol All kidding aside I know it would be really cold on the trails,but but but, we don't have to do 70 all the time, like you said 35 was a good speed for up there, and I'm ok with that, as long as there's sun and mid 30's and dry for 3-4 days before we get there, what better conditions can that be! Don't get any better than that this time of year up there, this is unheard of going into Jan! I do have a situation though, where I need all new truck tires, with the tires showing hairline cracking near the rims! I don't want to take a chance hauling that 4x4, 700# gorilla up inside doing 80 on freeway! What's a good heavy tire for that purpose, needing to haul heavy cargo safely? What rating would they need to be?

Old 12-31-2018, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Steve....check out the snowman cam.....kinda makes you want to start drooling doesn't it??

Old 12-31-2018, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

Just checked, 4'' so far.................. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gimme Some Ah Dat

Old 12-31-2018, 06:21 PM
THE BERMINATOR

I would need new gloves before I would even consider a winter ride. I have 2 pairs of gloves I bought from Sportsman's Guide. They're insulated with Thinsulate, but they're so thin it feels like Nosulate. If I'm lucky they may keep my hands warm enough to sweep the snow off my truck or to shovel my sidewalk, but not both. It's better than going bare handed but that's all I can say for them. They're even too cold when I wear glove liners with them. The glove liners are very thin but wick moisture away from your hands if they sweat. I just looked at one of my POS gloves and it says 40 gram Thinsulate. I looked online and it didn't take long to find some gloves with Thinsulate Platinum Insulation, 200 gram on top of the hand and 150 gram in the palm. They're made for ice fishing and the only review at Cabela's says they're almost too warm for snowmobiling. Sounds good. Let's trade. That's 5 times the insulation mine have on the back of the hand and almost 4 times what I have in the palm. I found some others that just said 150 gram or 140 gram Thinsulate which still sounds really good.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

I bought snowmobile gloves from Cabelas years back, nice leather outer with insulation, add a light glove liner and they are great. Use my old snowmobile helmet when I get the snowblower out to keep the blowing snow out of my face. Now if I could find uses for the rest of the old snowmobile and ice fishing gear I still have....

Old 12-31-2018, 07:16 PM
THE BERMINATOR

I went ice fishing twice with a few guys from work and still have that gear sitting in a corner. Besides the usual stuff I have 2 silver colored seat pads to reflect the body heat back into my butt. They're probably less than 1/4" thick and have a thin layer of what feels like a high density packaging foam that's flexible to roll up.

Quick Reply: N. Michigan: St Helen, Mio, Rose City, West Brabch