Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

N. Michigan: St Helen, Mio, Rose City, West Brabch

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 10:40 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's going to be highs in the 20s in Flint and Mio both this weekend. But with 29 degrees in the forecast for Saturday and Sunday in Flint it may be in the 30s both days. Thursday night in Mio is only supposed to be 5 degrees. I still remember what single digit temperatures feel like, and I don't want to feel them again.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:26 PM
THE BERMINATOR

The skinnier parts of my brush guard that go in front of the headlights are only held on with small bolts. You can see a couple of the nyloc nuts on one side. It was convenient for Polaris to ship it from wherever it came from in a much shorter cardboard box. I thought it looked kind of flimsy but I've pushed over trees with it, mostly with the middle but also the ends, and I haven't broken a bolt yet. I thought by now I would have welded the ends on or drilled out the holes to use bigger bolts, but I haven't needed to do anything to it. My rear bumper is made of bigger steel tubes and it's all welded together, but I don't have a picture of it. The rear bumper is idiot proof. One time we all ready to go for a ride, but waiting for the leader, when an idiot who no longer rides with us rear ended me. I got angry. You wouldn't want to see me when I'm angry. I put it in reverse, hit the throttle and pushed him backward, then pulled ahead. I'm not proud of my actions that day. I very rarely lose my temper, but every so often I reach a point where I just can't take it anymore.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Angry

Hey man, if you can cope with these long *** depressing winter days and are still holding it together, you are in pretty good mental shape,,,,I'm ready to shoot myself sitting around here with no place to ride, tired of running the ride around the house with neighbors looking on like their ready to move, and never look back lol Just kidding, I'm just dreaming of doing something that stupid in desperation, but know with these aggressive tires, they would plow up the yard in just one drive around, they even rip the grass up by simply pushing the quad in neutral for just a few feet! I was out there after putting her away, trying to piece the grass back together lol Still looks chewed up, hopefully spring thaw will repair itself back, or my wife'E is going to rip my hide'E worse than what the yard looks like! She might even take my keys away and ground me

Old 01-11-2019, 11:44 PM
THE BERMINATOR

The short, dark, depressing days of winter are nothing compared to dealing with my family. My mom is going to make me lose my ____ if she keeps acting the way she does. (Use your imagination and fill in the blank. I'm not typing the "spam word" I'm thinking.) I called Thursday to remind her to take her daily dose of pills and after not taking any pills all week from Sunday-Thursday, except for Friday's pills, but she thought it was Monday when I called, she finally took half of Thursday's pills. Or told me she did. She lies about it sometimes. I kept telling her to take the other half and now she thinks I'm trying to kill her. I don't know how to deal with a crazy person without going crazy myself. No wonder I have to take a handful of pills every day. Way more than her. Everyone in the Rite-Aid pharmacy knows my name without asking, and they've started remembering my birthday too. It's not like I live in a small town where everyone know's everyone else, but they know me.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider

That's not good, to leave her alone now at this point. My mom started doing the same thing until she fell 3 times, the last time we found her unconscious, fortunately just after return within minutes back to her. After hospital released her, we decided to put her in a nursing home, where she was watch round the clock. Before that we all took turns staying with her, but still left her unattended for hours, where she would wander the house getting into trouble! I keep getting reminded by the latest commercial of the lady on the basement floor at the bottom of the stairs unable to get help. That was another worry of ours, she had those same kind of stairs and worried us constantly! My mother passed last year, but was from nat causes, not from being injured, or fall. Good luck with her, I know what your going thru, hope you have others to help, it helps a lot!
We had to sell her house to help pay for her care, it ain't cheap, but fortunate took care of most of the costs until her passing.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

As difficult as it is you need to find her some full time care. I have experienced the same thing myself with mother in law. Have saw folks loose everything trying to take care of elderly parents. Sounds like your mother is experiencing dimensia or starting alzheimers. This can become very ugly, get her help before she injures herself. Dont feel quilty it is not your fault!

Old 01-12-2019, 07:25 PM
THE BERMINATOR

Thanks for the replies, guys. My mom has dementia and one her pills is to help keep it from getting any worse. She needs to be in a nursing home but doesn't want to go and we can't force her. Not yet anyway. My brothers and I are working together to help her out. I'm a lot closer to them now than 20 years ago when neither one would speak to me. You can pick your nose and you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family. I call my mom every day to remind her to take her pills and ask if she needs anything from the store. She doesn't wear her hearing aids and keeps losing them, so she doesn't hear the phone unless she's standing right next to it.

When she used to wear her hearing aids more often here's what happened when I called. I kept calling her every day, usually several times a day until she finally answered. I asked if she took her pills today and she would always say one of 2 things. Either she said, what pills, I don't take any pills, or she would say, oh I take those as soon as I get up. If she said she took her pills I asked if she knew what day it was. She always thinks it's Monday so she's only right once a week, but only if she answers the phone on Monday. So a few months ago I was asking her every day for at least a week, do you need anything from the store? She kept saying, not that I know of, but I kept asking because I thought she must need something by then. One day I asked if she need anything from the store and I got the standard reply, not that I know of, and I made sure I asked her several times before I hung up. Finally she said she hasn't been eating anything because she doesn't have any food. She doesn't have any food but doesn't need anything from the store. She has the freezer part of the fridge packed so full there should be an avalanche warning on the door. And she has a big chest freezer full of food but doesn't have sense enough to look in it.

I took her to get groceries for her and her dog, and whatever else she needed earlier this week. As far as I knew she only needed dog food, and she didn't even know that. It took about 4 hours from the time I left my house until I got back home, and we both live in the same city. My back was knotted up so bad from stress I couldn't get my muscle relaxers down my throat fast enough. That's what I have to deal with on a daily basis, and ol' man winter has nothing that compares to the difficulty of that. If we were snowed in so bad I couldn't leave the house and all the phone lines were down I might get a little break, but that's not going to happen. I just had to rant/whine/get that off my chest.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

From your posting it sounds like she is well past making her own decision about staying by herself. Wouldnt want you to feel quilty when something happens to her, and it sounds like that may be xloser than you might think. Act now before things go bad, she is not going to like it, but sometimes we need to do what is best even if it is against her wishes. Whn we put my mother in law in a nursing home she wouldnt speak to us for more than 3 months. But it was better than her causing injury to herself, or burning down her own home. Good luck to you!

Old 01-12-2019, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

Took the words wright out my mouth! It about killed me to guide my mother out of her home, with her crying/begging, but it had to be done, but after she got settled in to her new surroundings with others her age, doing activities daily with them, she finally thanked us, loved the staff, calling ea. one by name, with a big hug and warm smiles, letting us know it was well worth the short pain they/we go through, its just life's little ups and downs along the way in life, since birth! Don't wait, you'll hate yourself if she wanders off outside in the cold or falls and cant reach phone for help, especially if she can't be watched round the clock which is, most of the time..... impossible. You'll actually be happy after her settling in the senior center and a big load off your minds knowing shes being taken care of 24/7. Its got to be done sooner or later, why prolong the inevitable.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:41 PM
THE BERMINATOR

I wish neither of you had to do that, but it needed to be done. My mom wasn't bad enough to be declared mentally incompetent before, but I think we should try now. One of us will have to be appointed as her guardian. Not it! I said it first so it has to to be one of my brothers. I'll be glad when summer gets here and I can get away for awhile and do some riding with my friends.

Quick Reply: N. Michigan: St Helen, Mio, Rose City, West Brabch